New Premium Plus Drinks Upgrade - Thoughts?

Named-Tawny

So I was just looking at my upcoming (Oct 2020) trip, and noticed that I now have the option to upgrade my Premium drinks package freebie to a premium plus one, for USD30/day, plus tips.  This could be a game changer.

Opens up the bar to drinks of any price (including single malt Scotches) and bottles of wine during dinner (and possibly lunch?  The headline says 'during dinner' but the T&C says 'while dining') including some reasonable Champagne (Veuve NV), and other premium bottles (Barolo, Napa Cabs, etc...)

Normally I always bring a couple of bottles from my cellar for my specialty dining dinners, but this may make that worth changing.=D

What are other folks thinking on this upgrade?

I will most definitely be upgrading my package on the Encore in December... Since I booked through a travel agent, I paid absolutely no gratuities on my base package to begin with... I tried upgrading on the breakaway earlier this year, but they had just introduced it, and it wasn't available until the sailing following mine...

We are upgrading on our Escape cruise in August to try it out.  I’ll let you know after if it is worth it.  We figure we’ll order bottles at dinner, likely won’t finish them (maybe) and take them back to enjoy on the balcony later.  That alone makes it worth it to us.

• Like 1

im reaaally thinking about it cuz JW platinum is really good but id have to upgrade my own as well as my sisters for the cruise. now if it included JW blue id already be upgraded.

also I tried the whistle pig last cruise not a fan of rye but it was pretty good

Tough decision for me.  I am a single malt guy and my regular brand is covered under the base plan, Glenmorangie but the option to sample others is tempting.  Also my wife is very fond of bubbles and while ok with the Prosecco, I could see us ripping through a lot of Veuve Clicquot.  I probably won't pull the trigger because we are on a Mediterranean port intensive itinerary this year. 

We got this option, too--to the tune of $278 per person. I cannot imagine how this could pay off, especially with lots of high-level brands included in the Premium plan. Even if my husband choses to have a few espressos and premium scotches, I cannot imagine that adding up to nearly $600 over 8 days.

We're leaving on Breakaway next Sunday and already have it planned out to upgrade as soon as we get on the ship!  The bottles of Veuve and Feaullate Rose at dinner, some nicer Cab's, Rose's and other goodies, not to mention the bottled still and sparkling water and specialty coffees? Fantastic!  I've heard mixed rumors of being able to use it at Starbucks, not 100% this is true, but looking forward to finding out!  Will report back when we get back.

16 hours ago, schildiams said:

Does anyone think that this will eventually lead to a downgrade in what's offered in the "free" package? Well drinks only - no name brands at all?

I hope not, but this may be a trial run to see how well an upgrade sells. If it is successful, some of the higher end brands currently covered may migrate to the premium plus list. I doubt it will go to well brands, but just enough of the better brands will end up there as an incentive to more people to upgrade. If they do this, I think they should lower the price for the premium pkg. and that would make the gratuity cost for the included pkg lower. 

Mary Ann

We are finding it hard to justify the cost difference for our upcoming 7 night cruise - but a question for seasoned NCL folks (our first time on NCL).  Will cocktails made with spirits priced under $15.00 be covered?  On other cruises we have enjoyed a martini or cosmopolitan pre dinner - will they be covered by the UBP/PBP $15.00 limit if made with Grey Goose/Belvedere?

So I guess the question is how much are the typical cocktails?

23 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

So I was just looking at my upcoming (Oct 2020) trip, and noticed that I now have the option to upgrade my Premium drinks package freebie to a premium plus one, for USD30/day, plus tips.  This could be a game changer.

Opens up the bar to drinks of any price (including single malt Scotches) and bottles of wine during dinner (and possibly lunch?  The headline says 'during dinner' but the T&C says 'while dining') including some reasonable Champagne (Veuve NV), and other premium bottles (Barolo, Napa Cabs, etc...)

Normally I always bring a couple of bottles from my cellar for my specialty dining dinners, but this may make that worth changing.=D

What are other folks thinking on this upgrade?

The premium plus is offered at $234 per person.   in  Canadians dollars that makes about $665 too much! I'm gonna stay with the package I have

14 minutes ago, Aus ATC said:

We are finding it hard to justify the cost difference for our upcoming 7 night cruise - but a question for seasoned NCL folks (our first time on NCL).  Will cocktails made with spirits priced under $15.00 be covered?  On other cruises we have enjoyed a martini or cosmopolitan pre dinner - will they be covered by the UBP/PBP $15.00 limit if made with Grey Goose/Belvedere?

So I guess the question is how much are the typical cocktails?

I think Grey Goose and Belvedere come in at 14.95 plus gratuity. So just covers it. Very few liquors are priced above the limit. Mostly just higher end Scotch. If you do want something that's over the $15 limit you only pay the difference plus gratuity.

I also noticed this offer on MyNCL. I am partially tempted for it. I am travelling alone as solo and  will dine alone as well - so if I read correctly it means I will get full bottles of wine just for myself. That is quite a lot if starting with champagne and then having different wine with each course. 

Don’t think so.  7 night cruise, 2 people each ordering a bottle of wine with dinner, so 14 bottles.  Let’s say if you bought the wine at home might cost 25 (some listed may be more, but some listed are in the 20 -30 range) so 14 x 25= 350 then the corkage fee of 15 each another 210, so already up to 560.  Plus I would have to lug 14 bottles with me on the ship, not possible if flying.  Also, it doesn’t say it is limited to just one bottle maybe we’ll each drink 2 (unlikely but never know).  Plus add the higher priced liquors, water, coffee, you can make it a good deal.

But the flip side of this is you can order it by the glass and still have the wine covered under the normal plan.  Again, for us it will be the freedom to bring what we don’t drink at dinner back to the room.

14 hours ago, klacey11 said:

We got this option, too--to the tune of $278 per person. I cannot imagine how this could pay off, especially with lots of high-level brands included in the Premium plan. Even if my husband choses to have a few espressos and premium scotches, I cannot imagine that adding up to nearly $600 over 8 days.

I totally agree.  There is an lot to choose from in the standard package.  When I want and espresso martini or a Woodford I will just pay the upcharge.

I think the price is way too high — for us it would basically be to cover our specialty coffees in the morning. We’re on the very port intensive POA so I don’t see any way we’d get the benefit of the upgrade.

I still can’t believe that at $100/day plus gratuity specialty coffee and water (except for POA) aren’t included.