Stolen map

KeithJenner

A few years ago, a cabin near to ours had a printed map stuck to their door, with a ship magnetic ship that could move along the cruise route.

We thought it was fun, and since then my wife has made one and we have put it on our door. It’s quite a nice thing to have.

Anyway, we got on the Spirit today. Whilst we were at the cruise critic sail away meet up, someone nicked it.

Not the end of the world obviously (and we do have a spare that is now inside the room), but it is rather annoying, and does make you wonder about some people.

502A15D7-4485-4BDA-9501-92FB465C736D.jpeg

I take it that this map was on the exterior (passageway) side of the door and not inside the cabin.

Doing a little sleuth work - you might wander the passageways to see if there is a similar map

found on a cabin door - that is if the purloined thief was dumb enough to paste it to his cabin door.

You would not be able to see it if on the inside but the cabin stewards would - put out a reward

to housekeeping if they see such a map to alert you about it. Probably little of nothing can be done

But a subtle hint that you were looking for map like that - did you get in the gift shop ?

On the other hand the cabin cleaning crew did they take it down because of some safety issue ?

Really the nerve of some people to take such a simple pleasure from folks and they could easily

ask and make one themselves.

• Like 1

What a lovely map and a lovely idea to move the ship along.    So much enjoyment has been stolen from those around you - and  I cannot see how the person who has taken it can really enjoy map.  

Three things to be thankful for

1. You are on a really spiffing cruise.   I can't be the only one who is jealous. 

2. You have a really talented wife.

3. You still have your spare copy.  

Have a great cruise.  Enjoy every one of those great port stops. 

Rachel 

• Like 2

I always put things on our door and I see stuff on others doors also - its allowed. 

I would be so upset if someone stole something off my door and that map was so clever and beautiful, I can't believe anyone had the nerve to take it - I'd put a sign on my door stating how sad it is that someone stole your wife's artwork... make the thief think about it every time they pass your door!! but first walk up and down the hall and see if it is on someones door. It could have been kids - the parents may make them return it...

Edited by C cruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

A few years ago, a cabin near to ours had a printed map stuck to their door, with a ship magnetic ship that could move along the cruise route.

We thought it was fun, and since then my wife has made one and we have put it on our door. It’s quite a nice thing to have.

Anyway, we got on the Spirit today. Whilst we were at the cruise critic sail away meet up, someone nicked it.

Not the end of the world obviously (and we do have a spare that is now inside the room), but it is rather annoying, and does make you wonder about some people.

502A15D7-4485-4BDA-9501-92FB465C736D.jpeg

Very nice map.

I often make magnets for the outside of our door on some of our cruises.  I also put our names/room number and ship name up front and prominent on them.  Yes, we've had magnets stolen, but at least whoever stole them has to face up to their misdeeds every time they look at it.

• Like 3

KeithJenner,

Hope you have a great cruise - looks like a wonderful itinerary.  

They do have cameras everywhere in public spaces so maybe you can talk to one of the officers and they can review your deck footage since it is right at the beginning of the cruise so not days and days to sift through.  

Though not a major item, it is a belonging and your wife spent considerable time and effort on it.

Don't waste internet minutes till you get to a port but do let us know if it ever shows up!  Good luck.

Your contributions to this forum always helpful and worthwhile!

p.s.  To the person who years ago pinched "special" Dutch clog and sushi magnets off our door, hope you have enjoyed them all these years......not!!😞

• Like 1

Hi

Like you, I have been wondering about some people for a long time. 😄

It was probably some kids, who should have know better, but without parental guidance strayed a little.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Very nice map.

I often make magnets for the outside of our door on some of our cruises.  I also put our names/room number and ship name up front and prominent on them.  Yes, we've had magnets stolen, but at least whoever stole them has to face up to their misdeeds every time they look at it.

Same here, I make sure our name's on it...less chance of someone else pinching it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Same here, I make sure our name's on it...less chance of someone else pinching it. 

we do the same - have out names on the door decoration...but not because we are afraid someone will steal it - but now I will think of it

You can ask for security to look into it.  They have cameras everywhere! It depends on how upset it makes you. if you want to look into it talk to security.  Integrity, or the lack of, is a problme , but try not to make it your problem.

My final post on this topic.

Our room steward (and other NCL staff) saw the map a number of times when we were in the room. They could have asked us to remove it on any of those occasions.

The map lasted about 3 hours on the door (secured by magnets). The note that my wife attached to the door with sticky tape after the map went has now been there for about 12 hours without any NCL staff removing it.

Most importantly, even if it was NCL staff that removed it, it is still our possession and if they chose to take it away rather than leave it in our room then it has still been stolen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Loved your map!  Does your wife use a program to make it or can she share how she makes it?  Interested in making one for our upcoming Cruise.  And I agree - someone grabbed it.  The cruise staff would place it in your room unless one of them took it which I seriously doubt.

• Like 1

I truly am sorry this happened to you..😦..it is so upsetting that this would happen--hoping it was mischievous kids and not a malicious adult..  Enjoy you trip despite this ...🤗

• Like 1