Airfare Help, I need to blame someone else

phillyguy31

Taking our DGDs on a cruise next June, American has opened their prices for those weeks at 414.00 or 438.00 R/T depending on which flight I take. I am trying to decide if I let it ride hope it goes lower or take it now. So I am asking if you had a crystal ball what would you do. 414 doesn't seem like too bad of a fare.

Question 2: The $414 leaves BWI at 1155AM arrives 235PM, the $438 is a 525am flight. with all the stuff going on around cancellations is it better to take the earlier flight for just $24.00 more.

It doesn't sound great, but it doesn't sound horrible. Assuming you're going in late June (which would have just opened, as opposed to early June), it sounds a little more reasonable as that's really peak vacation time right there. I'm not a fan of buying tickets as soon as they go on sale, so I personally would wait a month or two but the whole time be aware that prices may just as likely go up as they may down, and I need to be prepared for that and have the money for that.

2 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

Taking our DGDs on a cruise next June, American has opened their prices for those weeks at 414.00 or 438.00 R/T depending on which flight I take. I am trying to decide if I let it ride hope it goes lower or take it now. So I am asking if you had a crystal ball what would you do. 414 doesn't seem like too bad of a fare.

Question 2: The $414 leaves BWI at 1155AM arrives 235PM, the $438 is a 525am flight. with all the stuff going on around cancellations is it better to take the earlier flight for just $24.00 more.

Question 1.  You could book flights through the cruise line now.  This would allow you to lock the current price for the flights without being obligated, you can cancel if you like.  Then, watch the American website and track prices.  If you find something better there you can cancel the cruise line flights and book through American.  Note: you can always rebook through the cruise line if you find better cheaper flights on the cruise line website as well.

I've done it both ways.  I booked through the cruise line and later rebooked through the airlines to catch a cheaper flight.  I've also booked through the cruise line and then rebooked when cheaper flights became available.

If you are flying in on the day of cruise departure I would DEFINITELY take the earlier flight. You would be cutting it really close if the flight was even delayed. Of course AA will probably change their schedule 4 or 5 times between now and trip time anyway so the flight time you pick now maybe moot. If you are flying into Miami the day before your cruise departure then arrival time doesn’t make much difference so just disregard this whole post 🤪

• Like 2

16 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

Your main concern seems to be price which would steer me toward the later flight...but that arrives later in the afternoon and I have a feeling you're hesitating because you are flying in the same day the cruise departs.  Is that the case?  If so there is absolutely NO WAY I'd take a flight arriving at 2:35 no matter how much money it saved, as the check-in cut off time for Caribbean cruises is often as early as 3:30.  If you're flying in a day ahead, different story. 

• Like 1

If you are considering flying in the same day, DON’T DO IT!!!  Too many things can happen that can cause you to miss embarkation. And while you might be able to catch up with the ship at the first port if you have your passports, why risk missing the first couple days of the cruise? Fly in the day before and enjoy sightseeing in the port city a bit before the cruise. Plus, you will be rested when you board. I don’t know about you but I always find flying long and exhausting. By the time we arrive to our hotel we are tired and so glad to be able to rest before the fun of the cruise begins. 

And also, what the heck is a “DGD?”

On 8/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, phillyguy31 said:

I'm not seeing those kind of prices but I don't have your return flights. 

12 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

If you are considering flying in the same day, DON’T DO IT!!!  Too many things can happen that can cause you to miss embarkation. And while you might be able to catch up with the ship at the first port if you have your passports, why risk missing the first couple days of the cruise? Fly in the day before and enjoy sightseeing in the port city a bit before the cruise. Plus, you will be rested when you board. I don’t know about you but I always find flying long and exhausting. By the time we arrive to our hotel we are tired and so glad to be able to rest before the fun of the cruise begins. 

And also, what the heck is a “DGD?”

I assume in this context it's "dear granddaughters."

We've always flown in the day of for domestic departure cruises--we don't have the luxury of extra vacation days.  So far, so good, although we know someday we may experience a problem.  We take early flights, and fly direct whenever possible.

Yes the day before never the day of, I couldn't take the stress. Because of their bad rep we won't use Spirit or Frontier, SW doesn't release their fares for that time until later and to be honest when I pick a date and compare prices there doesn't seem to be a whole lot difference in price. So that leaves me with the big 3 and American seem sto be the best. I look at PHL, BWI and even EWR, no LGA isn't in the mix. Looked at both FLL and MIA, haven't yet found anything cheaper. Also I won't do the budget because I we have out Grandaughters with us and need to sit together.

4 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

Yes the day before never the day of, I couldn't take the stress. Because of their bad rep we won't use Spirit or Frontier, SW doesn't release their fares for that time until later and to be honest when I pick a date and compare prices there doesn't seem to be a whole lot difference in price. So that leaves me with the big 3 and American seem sto be the best. I look at PHL, BWI and even EWR, no LGA isn't in the mix. Looked at both FLL and MIA, haven't yet found anything cheaper. Also I won't do the budget because I we have out Grandaughters with us and need to sit together.

Don't rule out West Palm Beach (PBI) either...sometimes you can find deals there, and it may offset the ground transportation. Just one more airport to consider.

Wait for JetBlue to come out with their fares.  They are an excellent airline with comfortable seating where you’re not packed in like sardines.

Here is a link to their Route Map.   

Edited by *Miss G*
Edited to remove attachment.

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Wait for JetBlue to come out with their fares.  They are an excellent airline with comfortable seating where you’re not packed in like sardines.  Here is an idea of fares using a random date.  I chose September because it’s akin to June for Florida.

B79C95F0-5E58-40EB-BEC3-A001D069CD09.png

Just keep in mind you're traveling an additional 682 miles and 4.5 to 5 additional hours by flying BWI-FLL via Boston versus a nonstop.

As far as space goes, it really depends on the airline and the aircraft. The E190 that you would take (out of your way to Boston) has more-or-less equivalent pitch and width (within 1 inch pitch, and 0.5 inch width) as the AA 737-800 that tends to fly BWI-MIA nonstop on the morning flight (though a little bit more on top of that versus the AA A319 that seems to frequent BWI-MIA afternoon flight).

14 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Just keep in mind you're traveling an additional 682 miles and 4.5 to 5 additional hours by flying BWI-FLL via Boston versus a nonstop.

Yes, I uploaded the wrong screenshot so I had to fight with CC to remove it.  They do nonstop from Philly.

New screenshot:

45AE10F4-6598-41A4-B137-AF245E45F5B0.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Wait for JetBlue to come out with their fares.  They are an excellent airline with comfortable seating where you’re not packed in like sardines.

You might want to note that B6 is in the process of reducing seat pitch on both their new aircraft and on ones that are being refitted with updated interior spacing.  More seats, less room.  So they are not automatically the ones with the most room.

Caveat emptor.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

You might want to note that B6 is in the process of reducing seat pitch on both their new aircraft and on ones that are being refitted with updated interior spacing.  More seats, less room.  So they are not automatically the ones with the most room.

Caveat emptor.

Another one bites the dust.

• 3 weeks later...

Book on Jet Blue or Southwest and arrive the day before. Also check flights fron Washington DC.  The fare could go down to $200. You can also download Hopper and set an alert for your dates. For Lauderdale may be less expensive and there is a train to Miami and from there Uber it to your hotel and port. Play around fly one way to Miami gong and home from Fort Lauderdale where you could spend the night before going home. Even if you Ubered it all the way the savings could be substantial. You could book seperate one ways trying to avoid Basic Economy. SkyScanner and Kyak Hacker fares can save you.Then all you do is book it directly with the airline. Southwest does not appear on sites like Expedia

Me personally would never arrive the day of the cruise or fly out the day the cruise arrives back in Miami. Hope this is s helps and enjoy your precious time with your Grandkids. 

Edited by travelplus