Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
CozGurl

Compare Carnival Miracle with Star Princess

Recommended Posts

Looking for some feedback on these two ships and ports for a Hawaiian sailing in 2021. Carnival is only $300 cheaper but it does go to an extra port - Kona. Carnival leaves from San Diego and Princess from Los Angeles. Any thoughts at all on which we might find more enjoyable as middle aged folks who like live music, good food and cocktails?

 

Looking at the ships it seems that Star Princess has many more pools, hot tubs and bars. We've never sailed Princess and while I know it is more of a luxury line than Carnival, it is that different? More kids on Carnival? Better food on Princess? 

 

Will there be much in the way of live entertainment on either ship?

 

Lots of upcharges for either line in the way of adults only areas etc? 

 

I'm also posting this on the Princess board. Looking for any and all responses. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not been on either of these ships, but have cruised both lines. So these opinions are "in general."

 

Feel that Carnival has better live music.
Princess has better bars, but the Alchemy bars on Carnival have the best quality cocktails. Princess has better drink specials.

Feel Carnival has more entertainment but enjoyed quality of it on Princess (shows, not live music) more.

I prefer the food on Carnival MUCH more - both for types of choices and for quality.

More kids on Carnival, I guess, but maybe not that many on a long, Hawaiian cruise either way.

Pools are better on Princess, but I get bored and hot just laying out.  I prefer my own balcony to stare at water if I am going to hang outside.

 

Since it is such a long cruise, you get to leave from San Diego which is a very convenient port right downtown, and you get an extra port (Kona is nice, especially if you are a fan of coffee and do a tour), I would say Carnival because there are more activities available with that many sea days. Personal preference.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CozGurl said:

Looking for some feedback on these two ships and ports for a Hawaiian sailing in 2021. Carnival is only $300 cheaper but it does go to an extra port - Kona. Carnival leaves from San Diego and Princess from Los Angeles. Any thoughts at all on which we might find more enjoyable as middle aged folks who like live music, good food and cocktails?

 

Looking at the ships it seems that Star Princess has many more pools, hot tubs and bars. We've never sailed Princess and while I know it is more of a luxury line than Carnival, it is that different? More kids on Carnival? Better food on Princess? 

 

Will there be much in the way of live entertainment on either ship?

 

Lots of upcharges for either line in the way of adults only areas etc? 

 

I'm also posting this on the Princess board. Looking for any and all responses. Thanks!

My wife and I done a 28 day south pacific cruise on the star in april this year and loved it. The ship is an older model but the crew done their best to make everyone comfortable. We were in room A746 with the extra large balcony and it was very nice. the room was close to the rear pool (about 25 paces), close to the rear elevators so the dinning room was easy to get to. the entertainment was good not great. you had to get to the main theater early for a good seat. the theater is old and some of the seats are not good to sit in, so watch where you sit. hot tub and kiddy pool and sun bathing area are close to your room. oh and the buffet is right next to the aft pool , so you are close to everything. the food was to us just average cruise ship food. let me know if I can help any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sailed on both these ships and greatly prefer the Miracle. I love the adult only pool that is aft on Lido deck. Also, their almost nightly comedies are a hoot.

The Star had smaller closets than the other grand class ships and it is one of my least favorite Princess ships.

The food on both lines are hit and miss as Princess has really gone downhill in their food dept. IMHO.

I don't think you can go wrong with either cruise, but I prefer the up beat and laid back passengers on Carnival. That itinerary always attracts an older crowd, but they are far less cranky on Carnival. IMHO

I've done this itinerary many, many times on both lines and now only do this itinerary on Carnival.

The Miracle has many, many live music choices every evening/afternoon. From violin playing, to pop, to slow melodic music. I love the bands in the Red Frog Pub at night.

Happy sailing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been on both of these ships. Had a great time on both !!

Miracle is  smaller and seems a bit less crowded.

 

You can't go wrong with either one !!!!!

Edited by muleevans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CozGurl said:

Looking at the ships it seems that Star Princess has many more pools, hot tubs and bars. We've never sailed Princess and while I know it is more of a luxury line than Carnival, it is that different? More kids on Carnival? Better food on Princess? 

 

 

 

I love the Miracle, but all answers to your questions are "Yes".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miracle certainly gets points for the adults only pool area. Kind of makes up for less pool area. 

 

Thanks for your thoughts so far. Interesting. So much to consider!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CozGurl said:

Miracle certainly gets points for the adults only pool area. Kind of makes up for less pool area. 

 

Thanks for your thoughts so far. Interesting. So much to consider!

Star Princess also has a small adult only pool, but I much prefer the Miracle's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone! 

 

One more question about the Miracle, does it have a laundry room for passenger use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CozGurl said:

Thank you everyone! 

 

One more question about the Miracle, does it have a laundry room for passenger use?

Self-Service Launderettes are featured on the following ships: All ships with the exception of the Mardi Gras. The Mardi Gras will have ironing rooms on several stateroom decks as well as Valet Laundry service. 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1134/~/laundry-service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...