Falkland Island tendering

Waynetor

On the day we are scheduled to be in the Falklands there will be 2 ships both arriving at 8am. Just over 5,000 passengers total.

Can anyone tell me if the port can handle more than 1 tender boat loading and unloading at the same time?  Thanks

Here's the set up in the Falkland Islands

DSC04983_zpsbuiekmca.jpg

DSC04986_zps1pezas8m.jpg

There was some Zodiac type boats loading at a small dock in addition to the larger one . It's a long ride and wait .

DSC05000_zpsagl2ircc.jpg

IMG_5502_zpshywbvk1h.jpg

More importantly , if you are going to Volunteer Point have you booked your tour ? It's a long trip with a limited number of people going 4 0r 5 to a vehicle - No buses !

DSC04970_zpsxxplq7fb.jpg

• Like 1

The main island has a population of around 2,000, mostly in Stanley.  A nice little town to wander round a bit but Penguins are the name of the game there. Close to town there are a few places to see them but Volunteer Point is the main place for tours to go.

With tenders the main objective is to be ready to go an hour prior to the posted time (if on a regular cruise ship).    In my opinion the absolute top choice is Volunteer Point.  I have been there 10+. Times.    Just fantastic.   

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Falklands on Emerald Princess.

Tendering caused a minor delay but was well handled.

We were able to book a tour shoreside to see penguins then returned to Stanley for a walk around and have a soft  drink in the pub  before returning to they ship.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were in the Falklands, there were 2 expedition ships with about 200 passengers total.  No problems.  Stanley is a small town w limited facilities.  I am not sure that I would want to be there with 5000 passengers wandering around.

DON

We had 3 ships in the port  the day we were there earlier this year and one had 3000 passengers.  We were happy to be on HAL as we were the only ship with covered waiting for tenders and hot chocolate while we waited.  The other ship’s passengers had to wait outside in the rain and I didn’t see any beverages being served.   

One issue with all the people in town...the Victory bar sold out of local beer very early and sold out of most of their food by mid afternoon.   And, the workers were a little grumpy from being so overwhelmed.  Still, it was a wonderful port that we loved.