Ncl breakaway haven questions

Barnos

5 hours ago, Barnos said:

I'm delighted that this  thread has become active again as I started  it, some weeks ago in relation to the beverage plus package options?

We've now completed our cruise... and I have to say our opinion of the Haven is a little bit mixed.. I will post a full cruise review sometime over the next few days but the edited highlights would read..

Beverage package upgrade -  was ultimately offered to us a few days before the cruise  we took it, and were delighted with our decision (but why on earth were we told that the upgrade was not available by NCL staff until we got on board... although apparently the concierge would be able to sort it out for us?)

Talking of that concierge – yes the senior concierge was very helpful (when she was there) but her assistant was less than useless  (when she was there) quite often there was no one there.

Haven spa Suite -  Nice room, but half in - half out of the Haven -  that was definitely the feeling we had

Haven spa Suite cleanliness -  absolute major disappointment -  we had major problems despite complaining to the concierge -  I will put full details on my review

Haven spa suite Butler -  I've cruised with a butler before,  on that occasion the butler was useless, so was this guy -  I would describe it as having average room service.

Let me not end on a negative – the Haven itself is wonderful and the Haven restaurant is one of the best I've ever been in on a cruise and the majority of the staff inside the Haven (despite a few language problems) were also exceptional..

If you've book  a Haven cruise I'm sure you will enjoy it 🙂 it is a lovely place

Thanks for reporting after the trip.  Maybe it is a Breakaway thing.

I know when it first came out, it got fairly bad reviews and people were asking why.  We sailed it too back a few years and the ship and Haven experience were blah.  I have no desire to ever sail on that ship again.  Escape on the other hand, we loved it.

5 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

We have another couple we usually cruise with.  If they decide to join us on this one, we may see if there is another suite that has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms that would work.  We would look at cost of that versus them booking their own H9 if one is still available once they make up their mind.

If you are looking at the Breakaway, the only room with 2 bedrooms and bathrooms would be a H4.

22 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

We had CAS book us a Haven cabin with jacuzzi but apparently it does not have access to the spa.  The category number is HI instead of H9.   I'm happy with that as we wouldn't spend much time in the spa but will enjoy access to the Haven.

That's one of the changes coming in 2020. Certain Haven suites that previously had Spa access will lose it and will be Haven suites with a tub in the living room (not sure of the exact wording). 😁

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

We had CAS book us a Haven cabin with jacuzzi but apparently it does not have access to the spa.  The category number is HI instead of H9.   I'm happy with that as we wouldn't spend much time in the spa but will enjoy access to the Haven.

Out of curiosity what is the price, room size, and location difference between the H9 and the newly created H1?

On 2/4/2020 at 7:12 AM, Barnos said:

I'm delighted that this  thread has become active again as I started  it, some weeks ago in relation to the beverage plus package options?

We've now completed our cruise... and I have to say our opinion of the Haven is a little bit mixed.. I will post a full cruise review sometime over the next few days but the edited highlights would read..

Beverage package upgrade -  was ultimately offered to us a few days before the cruise  we took it, and were delighted with our decision (but why on earth were we told that the upgrade was not available by NCL staff until we got on board... although apparently the concierge would be able to sort it out for us?)

Talking of that concierge – yes the senior concierge was very helpful (when she was there) but her assistant was less than useless  (when she was there) quite often there was no one there.

Haven spa Suite -  Nice room, but half in - half out of the Haven -  that was definitely the feeling we had

Haven spa Suite cleanliness -  absolute major disappointment -  we had major problems despite complaining to the concierge -  I will put full details on my review

Haven spa suite Butler -  I've cruised with a butler before,  on that occasion the butler was useless, so was this guy -  I would describe it as having average room service.

Let me not end on a negative – the Haven itself is wonderful and the Haven restaurant is one of the best I've ever been in on a cruise and the majority of the staff inside the Haven (despite a few language problems) were also exceptional..

If you've book  a Haven cruise I'm sure you will enjoy it 🙂 it is a lovely place

Looking forward to your review.  In particular about your feelings about the Haven spa suite. Sorry to hear there were some issues regarding cleanliness of room and feeling half in and half out of the Haven.  Did you get much use out of the thermal spa area?  It also sounds like you had some problems with both your butler and concierge.  Did you have any noise issues? I have read a few complaints from the fitness center located directly above some of the spa suites.  

• 3 weeks later...

Do all Haven Suites have Thermal Spa access or only the Haven Spa Suite?  I ask because on NCL's website about Haven Suites it is ambiguous with this line, "Not only will you have access to all the ship has to offer, you'll enjoy the personal service of a concierge and 24-hour butler throughout your entire stay."  

7 minutes ago, Fletch2 said:

Do all Haven Suites have Thermal Spa access or only the Haven Spa Suite?  I ask because on NCL's website about Haven Suites it is ambiguous with this line, "Not only will you have access to all the ship has to offer, you'll enjoy the personal service of a concierge and 24-hour butler throughout your entire stay."  

It doesn't seem at all ambiguous.  You have access to all the ship has to offer just like non-havenites PLUS you have the concierge and butler.  Only designated spa cabins get spa access.

8 minutes ago, Fletch2 said:

Spa Suites are the only Haven Suites with built-in Spa access. After the changes, certain Spa Suites will lose the access so make sure that you are booking correctly. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 7:58 PM, seemoreroyals said:

Out of curiosity what is the price, room size, and location difference between the H9 and the newly created H1?

The cruise we are taking in October has the H1 and H9 priced exactly the same. The only difference is that the H9 will have spa access. How do I know? Cos we sailed cabin 14728 before when it was a H9 and now it is a H1. It is less than a minute walk between the furthest away H9 to the furthest H1 on the same side of the ship. Funny enough if memory serves me correct the H9s are further away from the entrance to the spa than the H1s. Guess NCL want the H1s closer to the Haven 

Edited by Yinster
  • Like 1

I am also a bit confused..on the H9 category and wanting to make sure it still includes access to the Thermal suites on the Breakaway...looking at May 23, 2021...this is description: 

Features & highlights

Priority access to Mandara Spa and Thermal Suites, exclusive access to The Haven Courtyard, spa décor, and a balcony.

Not sure if that means access to the Thermal suite or not? 

6 hours ago, Fletch2 said:

No. Only Haven Spa Suites (H9) on big ships. On big ships, there is a sauna in the Haven courtyard.

6 hours ago, Yinster said:

The cruise we are taking in October has the H1 and H9 priced exactly the same. The only difference is that the H9 will have spa access. How do I know? Cos we sailed cabin 14728 before when it was a H9 and now it is a H1. It is less than a minute walk between the furthest away H9 to the furthest H1 on the same side of the ship. Funny enough if memory serves me correct the H9s are further away from the entrance to the spa than the H1s. Guess NCL want the H1s closer to the Haven 

I contacted CAS where I had originally booked our H9 on Breakaway to find out about the H1's.  After running a comparison, they said it would save us about $100 to go with the H1 but we would have no thermal spa access.  The rooms were exactly the same with in room jacuzzi, same sq footage, same size balconies etc.  In fact the H9 we booked 14742 is actually closer to the Haven than any of the H1's that are available.  Unless I am missing something, all they did was take about half of the rooms that were previously H9's and turned them into H1's.

We are sticking with the H9.  BTW did you have any noise issues with the gym above when you previously sailed 14728?  We were wondering if there were any noise issues as our spa suite 14742 is just under the far corner of the gym.  One review I read there was a noise complaint so we were wondering what to expect.

Edited by seemoreroyals

We have been in the H9 on the Getaway a couple of years ago and loved it.  I would suggest you go with the port side rooms as I have also seen others complain about early morning sound from the work out equipment over the starboard cabins..

We booked the H1 (or is it HI?) this time.   If we go to the spa every day that will cut into our 'hang out in the Haven' time😉 

All the port side H9' were sold out on the cruise we are going on.  In our case we our doing our first Haven and our first thermal spa and want to experience both so the H9 will work better for us.  As far as the noise goes, we are early risers and we usually are at the gym, out walking around, or at breakfast by about 7 am.  We just wanted to know what to expect as far as noise goes.  

Edited by seemoreroyals

3 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

All the port side H9' were sold out on the cruise we are going on.  In our case we our doing our first Haven and our first thermal spa and want to experience both so the H9 will work better for us.  As far as the noise goes, we are early risers and we usually are at the gym, out walking around, or at breakfast by about 7 am.  We just wanted to know what to expect as far as noise goes.  

If you are early risers, doubt you will have problem with any possible noise.  From what I had read it was early morning work outs.   For us, we rarely make it to breakfast so we are port side.   The cabins are great and we didn't mind being outside of the Haven area.  Easy enough to get to.   Enjoy😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

If you are early risers, doubt you will have problem with any possible noise.  From what I had read it was early morning work outs.   For us, we rarely make it to breakfast so we are port side.   The cabins are great and we didn't mind being outside of the Haven area.  Easy enough to get to.   Enjoy😎

That was the same thing I read.  We like to be prepared and know what to expect.  If we enjoy this cruise as much as I think we will, next time we will probably book one inside the Haven area.  We are still trying to get a feel for how to best use the butler and concierge aspect of staying in the Haven.  Since we are staying in a relatively small room with a small table I doubt if we will be eating many meals in our room.  Since the H9's are outside of Haven proper I get the feeling that our room attendant will be of more use to us than the butler.  We may do room service once or twice since it is complimentary.  Do you think that would be a butler function or more likely a service provided by your room attendant?  What else does the butler do other than drop snacks by your room once every afternoon?

32 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

That was the same thing I read.  We like to be prepared and know what to expect.  If we enjoy this cruise as much as I think we will, next time we will probably book one inside the Haven area.  We are still trying to get a feel for how to best use the butler and concierge aspect of staying in the Haven.  Since we are staying in a relatively small room with a small table I doubt if we will be eating many meals in our room.  Since the H9's are outside of Haven proper I get the feeling that our room attendant will be of more use to us than the butler.  We may do room service once or twice since it is complimentary.  Do you think that would be a butler function or more likely a service provided by your room attendant?  What else does the butler do other than drop snacks by your room once every afternoon?

It's been two years since our first Haven.  We didn't really see our butler much, but I understand that if you order room service your butler will deliver for you.  Our room steward and the concierge did more for us.....plus those great Haven bartenders!   We really loved the Haven restaurant too.  The servers in their take great care of you and remember what you like.

Our 2nd Haven will be in a few months but we will continue to do most our cruising in balcony or mini-suites.   Others who cruise all the time in Haven will probably have more info for you on Butlers.  We just didn't ask for much from ours.   

Edited by Sand and Seas

14728 was below the hair salon. I chose that one because of that. So not sure of noise below the gym. Our cabin this time round will be in this location so I'm guessing we may hear some noise.

The spa suites are excellent. Yes they are outside the Haven but it's only a minute walk to the stairs and then up two levels. Didn't take long at all. 

Port side had a sofa whilst starboard had two chairs. Not sure if this is now changed. Table is far too small to have a sit down dinner. 

We have had two good butlers and one very poor one. We are low maintenance. Just asking for particular afternoon snacks. But they will assist as much as they can. Our room attendants have been very good. 

It appears that there used to be 16 H9's on deck 14 and now there are only 8.  The eight closest to the stairs and elevators and access to the Haven, four on each side are still H9's whereas the other 8, four on each side are now H1's,  furthest from the stairs and elevators.  It would seem to me since they are pricing both the H9's and the H1's almost identical,  that if H9's are available which include access to the thermal spa suite, they are a much better value for your money.  That is provided that you intend to spend at least some of your time in the thermal spa area of the ship.  

Having read reviews of unruly kids taking over the Haven area of  the ship on occasion,  for us the thermal spa area will represent a way to get away from that if it occurs during our cruise.  Since we are sailing Dec 6-13, and most kids will be in school, we are hoping to minimize that being the case.  Nothing against kids as long as their parents make them behave.  Having said that,  over the years we have encountered adults on planes and cruises that exhibit far worse behavior than kids.  So you never know what you have to deal with until you get there.  It is nice to have options.