Dinner First Night & Spa First Day

aledomom

I couldn't find this addressed anywhere else so I started a new thread.  Wanted to get the opinion of some seasoned HAL cruisers.  We have only done 1 HAL cruise.  It was an Alaska cruise with the land portion before hand.  We came in really, really close to the Must Be On Board time, the ship was staying later than usual due to weather, had early dining and things were a little chaotic.  In fact we didn't even sit at our assigned table that first night.  So us and our friends just wore the clothes we had on when we boarded the ship.

Is this what we can expect on our upcoming cruise out of Amsterdam?  We have fixed 8pm dining this time around and will have been in Amsterdam several days prior to departure on the ship.  On the first night do people just wear what they wore onto the ship (for me that will be black flats, black leggings, a nice oversized Chambray shirt with a longer black cardigan)?  Or with the 5pm departure and with people arriving earlier and getting luggage earlier do we need to plan an outfit change for that day? Working on a packing list and didn't know what to expect this time around and if I need to plan 2 outfits for that day?

Also we have booked the thermal suite package because we fell in love with it last time.  Is the spa open on the first day?

Thank you all so much.  I learn so much from checking out everyones threads. 

Thanks @ksmaxey - appreciate the response on the spa question.  I didn't remember it being open but since we are going to be onboard so much earlier in the day I just wondered if it might be available.

10 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Jeans are fine for non Gala nights, which that will be.  🙂  

Ok so is that a hot button issue?  On DCL I have completely felt comfortable wearing jeans but I was always under the impression that on HAL that was a no-no?  We traveled with friends last time and they wouldn't have been impressed with hubby in jeans but we are on our own this time.  I think he would be thrilled if he didn't have to pack a lot of nice pants could just throw in one pair and get them cleaned between Gala nights.

HAL website say:  The suggested attire for most evenings is resort casual; slacks and collared shirts for men, and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening-wear for women.

So I kind of assumed he needs to be dressed nicer then jeans?

Edited by aledomom

3 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

I have never seen the spa available on day 1 as they are too busy selling spa services including the thermal suite

The Thermal Suite is always opened to those who purchased the package after muster drill on the first day.  Staff might bring in someone doing a tour once in a while but access to the loungers and hydropool is restricted to those who have purchased the package.

14 minutes ago, aledomom said:

jeans but I was always under the impression that on HAL that was a no-no?

It used to be, but now nice (not distressed) jeans are OK on non-Gala nights:

For evening wear, smart casual attire is the way to go for the majority of the cruise. This means that shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are generally not permitted in the fine dining restaurants on board.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

I think last time most nights he wore nice pants with a button down shirt and a sweater over the shirt.  I think he will probably be comfortable with the same this time.  I'll be in nice dresses each evening...still deciding about that first night.  😏

Edited by aledomom

57 minutes ago, aledomom said:

I'll be in nice dresses each evening...still deciding about that first night.  😏

You really would be perfectly fine with what you described in your first post.  Also, as catl331 said, the odds are very good that you'll have your bags well before your 8:00 dining time.  So the choice is yours, either way is good.  🙂  

I think I'm on the same cruise -- Sept. 8 on the Nieuw Statendam?  

With all the exertion I expend on embarkation day, I wouldn't dream of going to dinner without showering and changing first. I hate the way I feel by the end of muster drill.

• Like 1