transport to Galveston port

3yorkies

Will be flying into Houston in April 2020 for cruise on Liberty of the Seas.   Looking for best transport option to get to port from airport .  Will fly in day before and spend night near airport, then to port in morning.  Unless there is a better option to stay closer to port.  Never been to this port before but got great price on cruise.  Note this is for one person only.

Edited by 3yorkies

19 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

Will be flying into Houston in April 2020 for cruise on Liberty of the Seas.   Looking for best transport option to get to port from airport .  Will fly in day before and spend night near airport, then to port in morning.  Unless there is a better option to stay closer to port.  Never been to this port before but got great price on cruise.  Note this is for one person only.

Probably morning of cruise

use hotel shuttle back to airport 

and pick up cruise line transfer from airport to cruise terminal 

My husband and I just got back from a Galveston cruise. We flew in to Hobby and stayed at the Springhill Suites near the airport. We took an UberX from the hotel the morning (about 11am) of the cruise and it cost $37 (I always check both Lyft and Uber and go with whichever is cheaper.) Coming back from the pier after the cruise (about 9:15am) was $39 with Lyft (it would have been $46 with Uber). I don't know what RC airport transfers to Hobby are, but Carnival's would have been $37pp each way. 

• Like 1

we used Galveston Limo from IAH in April. About $30 each. Terrific!

Also lots of info on www.Galveston.com . They even have webcams all over the island. Click on 'connect'. You can watch the ships come in & leave on the 'cruise video cam'.

amypintx,

WOW, those prices for Lyft are way less than I thought it would cost.  Only $37 to get from Springhill Suites to port?  I am typing my fingers to the bone looking for a low cost to get the two of us to the port in December.  We are staying at the same Springhill Suites.  Off subject, how was it for one night?  I know there is not much around there for dining.  Any suggestions for a light dinner?  I have found Galveston Shuttle and it is $40 around trip(for Hobby) but we would have to take the shuttle back to the airport in the morning and not a big fan of that.  I think at this point I am going to stop my hunt and just plan on using uber or lyft.  Do you think the time you left to head to the port had anything to do with the low price?  I've seen other posts where folks had paid $70 just to get there and that is what made me shy away from planning to use uber/lyft.

On both the Uber and Lyft apps, you can create a "phantom to/from" ride request without actually hitting the "request/select ride now" button. I do this all the time when comparing various transportation options. I just checked Lyft right now; the fare shows multiple cars nearby the Springhill Suites near Hobby Airport, the estimated time from the hotel to the Port of Galveston cruise terminal is 1 hour and the fare is $39. Similarly, a Lyft ride, right now, from the Port of Galveston cruise terminal to Hobby Airport is $45. Easy peezy! 😉

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gatorspuck said:

How much for Uber or Lyft form George Bush airport 

I just did a "phantom" booking request. At 3:30pm, CDT on Tuesday, 8/27/19, both Uber and Lyft offer one-way, IAH-Port of Galveston for US $63.35. Uber XL is US $155.66. Estimated transit time is 90 minutes.

Commute times and pricing will vary, based on time of day and day of week.

23 hours ago, ryndam said:

I just did a "phantom" booking request. At 3:30pm, CDT on Tuesday, 8/27/19, both Uber and Lyft offer one-way, IAH-Port of Galveston for US $63.35. Uber XL is US $155.66. Estimated transit time is 90 minutes.

Commute times and pricing will vary, based on time of day and day of week.

Thanks for doing that we don’t sail until March 29th 2020 . It’s good to know a number that’s is close so we can plan for it . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 5:15 PM, lasvegascruising said:

amypintx,

WOW, those prices for Lyft are way less than I thought it would cost.  Only $37 to get from Springhill Suites to port?  I am typing my fingers to the bone looking for a low cost to get the two of us to the port in December.  We are staying at the same Springhill Suites.  Off subject, how was it for one night?  I know there is not much around there for dining.  Any suggestions for a light dinner?  I have found Galveston Shuttle and it is $40 around trip(for Hobby) but we would have to take the shuttle back to the airport in the morning and not a big fan of that.  I think at this point I am going to stop my hunt and just plan on using uber or lyft.  Do you think the time you left to head to the port had anything to do with the low price?  I've seen other posts where folks had paid $70 just to get there and that is what made me shy away from planning to use uber/lyft.

Sorry for the delay lasvegascruising! I didn't see this until today. Springhill Suites is great for one night. We've actually stayed there a couple of times before a Galveston cruise. This time our cruise was Thursday - Monday. I don't know if that had anything to do with the cheaper rate. Our drivers both times said they basically just go back and forth from the airport to the cruise port on sailing days.  We didn't get in until late Wednesday night and took the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. It was quick and easy. The hotel has just recently been remodeled and the free breakfast is a nice perk. We didn't eat dinner but there is a restaurant just across the parking lot... don't know if it's any good or not! There's also a Pappadeauxs (cajun seafood chain) in the airport if you wanted to eat before you left the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

We are flying in a day early and will be U to Galveston - We are staying at Giados (on the sea wall) - We will get there in the dark, but hoping for a beautiful sunrise on departure day right on the gulf.

We will stay close to the airport on the way home.

Have fun

Giados is nice.  Right across from beach,   Eat at restaurant.  Very good.      RCCI has transportation from and to both airports.  Around $30.00 per person.     40 minutes from HOBBY airport and  90 minutes from IAH. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 5:27 PM, gofeo said:

Giados is nice.  Right across from beach,   Eat at restaurant.  Very good.      RCCI has transportation from and to both airports.  Around $30.00 per person.     40 minutes from HOBBY airport and  90 minutes from IAH. 

Unfortunately, we are coming in a day early and they dont do transportation the day before 😞

Is proving to be quite costly 😞  There are 6 of us, 4 sr citizens

3 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

How soon would we need to reserve something like that?

Thank you ryndam!

The Uber app allows one to reserve a vehicle many months in advance. You do not get an actual confirmation of the ride until the driver is actually on their way to your pick-up location. That said, I just did a "phantom" booking for an Uber XL ride from IAH Terminal C to the Port of Galveston. The fare showed a range of $143-$163. It also indicated a driver would be at IAH Terminal C in 7 minutes and the estimated commute time to Galveston is 90 minutes. We have used both Uber & Lyft from IAH at all hours of the day and night and any day of the week. We have never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So we just got back from our Thanksgiving Cruise.    We used VIP Express and couldn't be happier with the service we received.     The vehicle was clean and on time.  Emmanuel was awesome.   Incredibly personable and helpful.  

We used him from Hobby to the HarborHouse and then again for return to the airport after the cruise.   

We wouldn't hesitate to use him again

How far away from the entrance of the cruise ship terminal at the Port of Galveston do the Uber/Lyft drivers park or drop you off?    We have one person in a wheelchair and don't want to walk too far to actually get into the terminal.    This is on the Liberty of the Seas.

Edited by kokopelli-az

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 12:37 PM, marci4tony said:

Unfortunately, we are coming in a day early and they dont do transportation the day before 😞

Is proving to be quite costly 😞  There are 6 of us, 4 sr citizens

It is now possible to book RCCI for the day before now.  Stay at local hotels near airport and coutesy  bus back to terminal C united bag claim between 930a and 10a. 

We had 6 ppl - 3 Sr Citizens - Arrived at IAH 6:30pm on a friday

Requested UBER XL for 6 - first one showed up that seated 6 and MAYBE 3 suitcases.  MAYBE...

Cancelled first one.

Requested 2nd UBER XL for 6 - showed up and MAYBE could seat 6 INCLUDING THE DRIVER.  No luggage.

What in the heck?!

Cancelled second one.

Finally conceded to splitting the group up into 2 UBER XL - plenty of room for 3 ppl and 3 suitcases.

$80+ bucks EACH UBER

1 hour + Friday.

Came back Saturday afternoon after the cruise - again requested (2) UBER XL and it was 80+ bucks EACH UBER

1 hour 45 minutes Saturday.

Galveston will not be on my target Home Port again.  What a hassle, and so much stress on the "older folk"

For what its worth, at least I got my sunrise photo in Galveston with the Ferris wheel :)