Do you buy Travel Insrance?

Little Rascal

Jew are considering a World cruise for 2023. Do you buy travel insurance and does it cover your medical in case you get sick?  I read that Oceania offers medical 🏥 insurance with their world cruise price. When do the 2023 World cruises itinerary come out?  I’m thinking Viking or Oceania. Also, does your travel agent offer any incentives to transfer the booking to them?  

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, Little Rascal said:

Jew are considering a World cruise for 2023. Do you buy travel insurance and does it cover your medical in case you get sick?  I read that Oceania offers medical 🏥 insurance with their world cruise price. When do the 2023 World cruises itinerary come out?  I’m thinking Viking or Oceania. Also, does your travel agent offer any incentives to transfer the booking to them?  

I don't believe what Oceania offers is free medical insurance, no.  They do offer, I believe, as does their sister line Regent, free doctor's visits while on the ship.  That's not the same thing.

You definitely need travel medical insurance to go on any kind of cruise outside your own country.  And would be wise to get cancellation insurance as well.

When considering a WC on a premium/luxury line, the insurance issues are completely different from regular cruising.

We booked the 2020 Viking WC in April 2018, so 20 months before departure. The deposit was $20K, with full balance due 6 months before departure. I checked a number of local brokers and the online company mentioned in a previous post. None of them would accept the risk, so our only option was taking out the Viking insurance, which is a fixed percentage regardless of your age or medical conditions.

The Viking insurance includes $100K of medical. The Viking insurance also includes all pre/post activities booked through them, such as flights.

With Viking, you can transfer any booking to a TA (before full-payment I believe) to receive the OBC that Viking permit. The Viking inaugural WC included free on board medical care, but sadly only lasted 1 year.

Expect to see Viking's 2023 WC posted in early 2021.

I was able to get insurance from an independent insurer for my 2022 WC on Crystal. But the issues may be different for different countries.

But, by all means, get travel insurance. Too many things can go wrong, particularly for a longer cruise. It's expensive, particularly the older you get, but just consider it part of the price of the cruise.

Edited by wishIweretravelling

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Oceania 2019 world cruise and what is included is all medical care onboard (unlimited)...not just doctor visits. No matter what care you need or how often, it's covered.

BUT...if you must go off the ship, then it's your responsibility!! So, obviously, you need a travel insurance policy! And not just for medical, but a comprehensive plan that covers evacuation, travel delays or cancellations, baggage loss or delays, and other situations. 

I used insuremytrip dot com...4 policies were available (I'm from the USA). The premium depends on your age and cost of the trip...mine was over $5K because I was in a suite, but if I needed it, it would be alot cheaper than losing all my cruisefare. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I did the Oceania 2019 world cruise and what is included is all medical care onboard (unlimited)...not just doctor visits. No matter what care you need or how often, it's covered.

Not to contradict you, but surely there must be limits. Any kind of serious situation would have to be dealt with at the nearest port. Obviously the ship's med center can't be equipped to deal with tests more sophisticated than an xray or ecg, right?

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Not to contradict you, but surely there must be limits. Any kind of serious situation would have to be dealt with at the nearest port. Obviously the ship's med center can't be equipped to deal with tests more sophisticated than an xray or ecg, right?

As I said, once you're off the ship (and that can be the doctor's call), you are no longer covered for "free" care. But if the ship can take care of it, then it's included. And the medical center was very busy, with the demographics being so elderly.