11 Day Cruise to Hawaii from BC RCCI

SteveOdore

We are currently thinking about taking an 11 day cruise to Hawaii on Royal Caribbean out of Vancouver BC. We were wondering if anyone has done this cruise in the past and what it was like. How was Vancouver? Any recommendations?  The airport?  customs, the port itself, (ect). Last year we did the Pride of America and that ship was a disaster. We loved Hawaii, and we love to cruise. Seven cruises with NCL, but there won't be an eighth, quite frankly they blew it. Has anyone done this or a similar cruise? Last year we met some great folks from Australia and they said that Royal Caribbean was much better.  How would you rate RCC?  Any of your thoughts and info would be appreciated.

Steve & Mrs Steve  

I would be researching how RCI operates on the RCI board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

For your questions on Vancouver, some reading on the West Coast Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

and the Canada board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/23-canada-alaskapacific-coastal/

would be beneficial.

The mainstream cruise lines are more alike than different, although Pride of America is a special case. Would be interested to know how you think they "blew it".

We have the opposite cruise booked next May (Hawaii to Vancouver), but it's 10 nights. It's our first TP (our first trans-anything actually), and we are looking forward to some extra days on Oahu before the cruise, the various islands and then the relaxing sea days. Maybe I can answer your questions after we get back. LOL!

We initially looked at POA with NCL, but for significantly less money we could get the longer cruise on RCCL. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the cruise. What happened to make it so awful?

I think if you booked POA thinking it would be like other NCL cruises, you didn't do enough research. POA gets routinely panned for its food and onboard service.

RCI is fine, it is inline with NCL (NCL as long as it isn't the POA) and Princess.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:06 PM, SteveOdore said:

We are currently thinking about taking an 11 day cruise to Hawaii on Royal Caribbean out of Vancouver BC. We were wondering if anyone has done this cruise in the past and what it was like. How was Vancouver? Any recommendations?  The airport?  customs, the port itself, (ect). Last year we did the Pride of America and that ship was a disaster. We loved Hawaii, and we love to cruise. Seven cruises with NCL, but there won't be an eighth, quite frankly they blew it. Has anyone done this or a similar cruise? Last year we met some great folks from Australia and they said that Royal Caribbean was much better.  How would you rate RCC?  Any of your thoughts and info would be appreciated.

Steve & Mrs Steve  

I have a few reports from the previous Vancouver - Hawaii cruises we have been on 

Radiance of the Seas - September 2012

Rhapsody of the Seas - September 2014

On 8/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, CruiserBruce said:

For your questions on Vancouver, some reading on the West Coast Departures board, here:

would be beneficial.

The mainstream cruise lines are more alike than different, although Pride of America is a special case. Would be interested to know how you think they "blew it".

I posted a review entitled "Pride of America" October 27-November 3 2018" on November 26, 2018 on Cruise Critic. It is rather lengthy, but clipped it for you to just include the part of the review on NCL/POA.

Steve

THE NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA

This cruise was Our anniversary cruise. We learned long ago to work our way down from the very little extras that the cruise line offers when you have a suite or a balcony and put it into an inside cabin, (doing this little step allows us to cruise more often). This was our seventh cruise with NCL. Being from New England it used to mean if you wanted to cruise you had to cruise out of Miami for a caribbean cruise, or catch a cruise out of New York for Bermuda. As luck would have it NCL started doing seven day cruises to Bermuda out of Boston sometime around 2007.

We were bitten by the cruise bug on the first day of our first cruise. We enjoy cruising so much that we became latitudes members. Every cruise like clock work we know, and Norwegian Cruise Lines know,  yes a future next cruise will be added to our bill. Anyone who has ever cruised before surely knows that once you set foot on the deck, you are on vacation. There is nothing else you can do about it but relax. Don't worry about your luggage it will be delivered to your cabin.  Those who are new to cruising tend to have a quizzical look on their face as they explore the ship only to find people at the pool and with cocktails in hand, and wonder how is that possible when you can't get into your cabin. Don't worry about it...your on vacation.

TIP: Put your bathing suit on before heading out to the ship for embarkation. Women can wear a fashionable wrap and guys can wear shorts that double as a bathing suit. The bars on the pool deck will be open and all you need is your ships keycard.

On our first cruise in 2008 to Bermuda, all passengers were accosted by the obligatory pre-cruise picture with the guy in the dolphin suit as you made your way up the gangway. Only after setting foot on the promenade deck of the NCL Dream all passengers were greeted "Welcome Aboard" with a glass of champagne. On Wednesday night at 12:00 am in the main dining room did the chefs, sous-chefs and pastry chefs present their masterful epicurean delights of "The Midnight Chocolate Buffet". Much like the disappearing complimentary ships stationary and pen that once graced the desk top in your cabin, or the mint on your pillow, have all been banished to another place and time.

Then came the Pride of America….. However, this time it was a little… a lot  different.

We bid a farewell to Our beloved condo and into the cab for the short 10 minute ride to Honolulu’s Pier 2. Entering the terminal was the easiest arrival for an embarkation we ever had. Once we entered and were checked by TSA, guest services were quick and easy. While waiting to be called to board, we were treated to a traditional Hawaiian dancing and music performance. The ladies were adorned with orchid laie’s and the gentlemen were bestowed with a necklace made from seashells. After about 40 minutes we were able to board. Now the ship sails at 7:00 pm but, again we like to get on board early so we can relax. The first day started off like our other cruises had. Finding our way around the decks, where is this, where is that. Within a hour we were in our cabin and 10 minutes later our luggage arrived. Our cabin steward was fantastic and his service was over and above.

Tip: To save yourself from being in the center of a stampede. Find where your lifeboat (Muster) station is. During the Muster drill the elevators will not be working, so if your on a lower deck or an upper deck, you have may have a lot of stairs to climb. A half an hour prior to the muster drill all the bars and shops will close. We like to find a bar as close as possible to our lifeboat station so when the drill is called we are already there nursing our painkillers and avoiding the "Legions of the Lost". It's also very entertaining.

Just a little background on myself. As a kid I was brought up in a hospitality and restaurant household.  My father was a chef, who rose up through the ranks of being a pastry, sous, head chef to finally an executive chef. He worked for Country Clubs,and Classic Hotels. He could be very demanding yet fair. His motto that was drilled into me was: "If it is not right it doesn't leave here".  I could go on and on about presentations and service. I say this because you may find somethings to be negative in which you will hear about, but I will give praise where it is due.

The makeup of the passengers on the Pride  were quite diverse. I would guess about 50 % of passengers were from the US, 30 % Australians & New Zealanders, 10% Japanese and 10% German and other nationalities. We also made conversations with other passengers. One evening we met two other couples from Australia. We were making conversations about the Islands, and the cruise in general. The gentleman said that they were disappointed with the crusie. Overall the food and service was below par. That was exactly what had been going through Our minds too. They agreed with us that it was a great way to see the Islands, and the cabin staff were great but that's where it ended. He said: " I don't mean to be a Wegger", to which I had to ask him what  " a Wegger" was. After trying to find what American term is, (with much laughter) we came to the conclusion that a Wegger is Australian for a whiner. No one is whining. As our new found friend put it, “I haven’t had a hot meal yet on this cruise”. They had cruised several times on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and they would do it again, but not with Norwegian. First and last time for the folks down under.

We joined the Latitudes program on our first cruise in 2008. The whole premise of the program is to continue to guarantee repeat business for Norwegian Cruise Line. In other words you get something, they get a lot.  On previous cruises the Latitudes Presentation begins with a private party for the members. Complimentary cocktails, and passed hor dourves are served. The house band plays there are door prizes to be had, and the Captain and staff officers are introduced. It is a mini version of buying a timeshare. When you purchase a NextCruise certificate you get an instant onboard $100-$500 dollar credit for the cruise you are currently on. On our 2016 cruise that was the first year that you could book a cruise for any NCL cruise directly on board. We did it on the NCL Dawn. It worked out as planned. We booked the Hawaiian Cruise. That stroke of marketing genius. Good presentation, boom....money right in the pocket of Norwegian Cruise line.

So why didn't we buy one. Why? The invitation came to our cabin on the second day of our cruise. We were looking forward to it 5:30pm on the aft deck Aloha Lanai Bar. We caught the tender back from Kona a little on the early side so we could grab a shower and change for the Latitudes Party.  We sat with a couple from Washington DC. They too were avid cruisers coming off their last cruise in the Mediterranean with Norwegian. So we had some small talk and the lady asked if they were offering any hor dorvs, we said we were wondering the same thing. The drinks were weak and served in soft sided plastic cups. As luck would have it the side gave way enough that it spilled all over my hand. I asked a waiter passing by for a napkin (of course why would you want a cocktail napkin to go with your drink) to wipe up the spilled drink. The response came swift and curt. "We don't have napkins on the outer decks they blow off" as he continued on his way. The whole table had the old "Deer in the Headlights " look. So what do I do wipe them on my pants? Can't figure this one out My wife and I have breakfast out on the Aloha Deck aft right where we are sitting every morning and we have a napkin. So didn't the Dream, The Spirit, and the other 5 times on the Dawn. So I excused myself and off to the Bar I went and I did get a linen napkin. The presentation on CruiseNext was a about as informative as "why is there air?". No live music, No Staff Officers, The CruiseNext agent gave a three minute talk on how NCL is now cruising to Tahiti,and told everyone to drop by her desk across from the front desk on deck 5. None of us heard anything about the $100 to $500 instant on board credit, (a selling point), We saw the NextCruise consultant sitting there over the next three days, but no takers that we could see.

NCL needs to look and remember where they are. Hawaii... the place can sell itself. Sell It! It's easy it's a lifestyle for someone for seven days. There is no reason why you can't have a 30% return rate on that cruise and every cruise. You don't know it but the goose that is laying the golden egg is headed for life support, and when you discover it, it will be too late. It is really too bad because the Pride of America is full of potential, but it is left by the wayside. There seems to be a case of bad service, or no service becoming the norm. We sat at a table waiting for drink service. Where was the waitress? sitting with a party having a good time and ignoring the other passengers. After 20 minutes we got our own cocktails. On the pool deck service was just as bad. Anyone who drinks a painkiller will tell you the garnish for the drink is pineapple. My wife brings the drink over to the table from the bar, (again no sense of urgency rather bad for the being in the hospitality business), I said where’s the pineapple I thought she was joking “ they’re all out...what do they mean they're all out...that’s what she said” off to the bar with painkiller in hand. Do you know what I got for an answer? Oh we’re all out. And I said…”We’re in Hawaii pineapple capital of the world. I know the ship isn’t out of pineapple”. The bar staff managed to find some. How does this happen?, good question for the Beverage Manager.  Midway through the cruise we bought a bottle of wine for dinner. We finished it the next night, the last night of our cruise my wife orders a glass of wine the same kind as the bottle we bought. Towards the end of dinner she ordered another glass, they brought her the wrong kind. I know it is not that way on other NCL ships. You don't have to go to far to see things that are not good.

Aloha cafe, dirty coffee cups in the racks, dirty silverware in the napkins, tables not cleared, there was a time when there wasn’t a washy washy girl at the entrance to the Aloha Cafe at peak breakfast time. This is a simple question, why?  Hand sanitizer globe empty at the aloha aft deck to the cafe, told the cafe Officer about it. Refilled but still didn’t work. Why wasn’t a portable unit brought in? Biggest problem of the whole cruise industry is Norovirus. It is cheaper to bring in a portable unit than to disinfect a whole ship.

So that’s the bad. Well what about the good? Our Cabin steward Owen did a great job. He was as good as any of the other stewards we have had over the many years. He works hard and is a real professional. Stacy was our waitress in the Liberty Dining Room. She was a gem who we always had a fun conversation with. She would always give us a good tip on what to see and what to do. In short a peach with a Boston accent. As I had mentioned this was Our anniversary and like all the other cruises we have been on we always celebrate our special day. This day was really made by Stacy who made it so. As we had our cake we were Serenaded to with Elvis Presley’s “Love Me Tender” sung by Emilee. Immediately this was not just someone singing. It was divine. She had a voice as good as anything that ever came out of Julliard.The dining room was quiet.Toby Beau’s Show was great, don’t miss it.

The Pride of America is a great way to see the real Hawaii. It is beautiful. However, Norwegian Cruise Lines needs to seriously look within itself and make some changes. Will we go back, most definitely. We decided to put up a map and throw a dart, whichever Island it lands on we will go to. Will we ever cruise again yes, but there are other Lines to try. We feel let down in by Norwegian, and it’s just too bad.  

TIP: Rent a car on Maui it’s nice to drive. Road to Hana take a tour you won’t see anything because you need to pay attention. Renting a car on Kauai only rent it for one day. The Pride sails at 2:00 pm on the second day. The only parking near the ship is at the mall and it’s $20 overnite if your over 50 and have stuff to carry it’s a long walk. It doesn't leave too much drive time.What we did was pull out all the stops for one day rent a Mustang convertible. Nice for touring do the northside of the Island it’s dryer more top down time. Last Alamo Shuttle is 8:00pm

Hilo & Kona offers the Hoppa on Hoppa off trolley well worth it $20 pp. Pain in the neck to rent a car last tender in Kona is 5:00pm remember LAST TENDER IS NOT THE SAIL TIME. Don’t miss it. Drink Water, Water, Water dehydration can be a real problem.

The Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau  offers free soft bound tour books or online edition on Oahu, Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai at gohawaii.com.

On 8/4/2019 at 5:41 PM, TwinMamainMN said:

We have the opposite cruise booked next May (Hawaii to Vancouver), but it's 10 nights. It's our first TP (our first trans-anything actually), and we are looking forward to some extra days on Oahu before the cruise, the various islands and then the relaxing sea days. Maybe I can answer your questions after we get back. LOL!

We initially looked at POA with NCL, but for significantly less money we could get the longer cruise on RCCL. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the cruise. What happened to make it so awful?

Good news is we just booked RCCI 11 days Vancouver to Hawaii, (including all the same Islands) next year. I just replied to CruserBruce with just the NCL/Pride of America part of a review I did last November. If you would like to read the the whole review it is entitled "Pride of America October 27- November 3 2018" posted on 11/26/2018, (there are no quote marks in the title). We have never been at sea that long, and looking forward to it....no phones, no internet. Enjoy your cruise. Looking forward to your thoughts. If you read my full review I have a lot on Our 5 days on Oahu before we sailed. It might give you some in's and outs of where to go. Have fun.

Steve

I cannot figure out how to reply to these threads. I loved the old format better!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, CruiserBruce said:

would be beneficial.

Here is the review I wrote about Our cruise. I think you will find why we said "they blew it"

Steve

www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=662189&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=133439427&et_referrer=Boards

Bruce

Here is the review I wrote about Our cruise. I think you will find why we said "they blew it"

Steve

www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=662189&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=133439427&et_referrer=Boards

hello friends,  first and foremost  my apology if I am not on the  proper thread/forum, my question is ,  my next cruise vacation will be in Hawaii next year, I did my first cruise on-board Allure of the Seas  last April 28th 2019 western caribbean itenirary.

I am not yet a Canadian citizen but just a holder of  canadian permanent resident card  as of this writing,  part of the hawaii cruise  itenirary is the french polynesia,  Bora-bora and tahiti,  do I  need a  visa on these places that I have mentioned. BTW, I only have a USA non-immigrant visa and a canadian  permanent resident card. I highly  appreciate feedbacks from friends in this forum. thank you in advanced.

Edited by excited2019

• 3 weeks later...