QV and Norwegian immigration processing

esrs

Can anyone tell me how immigration processing for Norway works on the QV Norwegian trips?  My husband won't go onshore without his passport (long story) so he is missing out on a port stop this week on QE. I want to avoid the same thing happening next spring in Norway!

1 hour ago, esrs said:

Can anyone tell me how immigration processing for Norway works on the QV Norwegian trips?  My husband won't go onshore without his passport (long story) so he is missing out on a port stop this week on QE. I want to avoid the same thing happening next spring in Norway!

What nationality passport? Why would wanting to take your passport ashore, even if not required, cause difficulties?

Just returned from QV Fjords cruise. We had two Port stops in Norway and for both we were told by Cunard, in the Daily Program, that we did not need our Passports to go on shore.  We only needed to take our Cruise card.

My DH and I are from the US.

Edited by BellaAnna

3 minutes ago, BellaAnna said:

Just returned from QV Fjords cruise. We had two Port stops in Norway and for both we were told by Cunard, in the Daily Program, that we did not need our Passports to go on shore.  We only needed to take our Cruise card.

My DH and I are from the US.

But, as it stands, the OP wants to take his passport ashore.

US passport. All passports were collected on 3 Aug after UK immigration processing to be kept by Cunard until 7 Aug after we depart Ireland.

We were told Irish immigration needs to see them during the day on 6 Aug while we are in port. We were given  dispensation to keep them until after we visit Glasgow 5 Aug but told we can't have them back until after we leave Dublin! I'm not bothered going without it but he is due to a previous experience and thus he won't get off the ship in Dublin.

Cunard have never collected passports for the Norway cruises we have been on. The last one we were on was in June 2018. That was on QM2, not QV, but I doubt that would make any difference.

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, esrs said:

I'm not bothered going without it but he is due to a previous experience and thus he won't get off the ship in Dublin.

You may already have thought of this, but would he be comfortable carrying a photocopy of the passport?

Without knowing what and where the previous experience was, it's hard to know the likelihood of something similar happening in Ireland.  Perhaps some more detail might elicit responses here that would sufficiently reassure him.

My partner is American and seems some cruises they take his passport some they don't.  Never seems, although I’m sure there is, any logic to it

When the do he just ensures he has a photocopy either on him or left in our room and carries his UK drivers licence

Thanks to all for their input.  DH has heard all the arguments about a copy, the safety of the country but it is a matter of principle at this point! I'll be on the QV next week so will specifically ask the administration manager about Norwegian immigration, before we contemplate tours for our 2020 voyage!

Edited by esrs
Typo
  • Like 1