Itinerary which begins in Canada, visits US and returns to Canada before ending in US

We are on the Adventure OTS Canada/New England September 16 sailing, and due to the cancellation of our Bar Harbour stop we’ve ended up with a crazy itinerary which leaves Canada to the US, then goes BACK to Canada before returning again to the US (and ending in the US). 

Itinerary starts in Quebec City,  visits Charlottetown, Sydney and Halifax, Canada, then Portland, Maine. Then it returns to Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, THEN back to Boston before ending in NYC. 

What is is going to happen with customs? Do we have to clear US Customs twice (Portland/Boston) along with Canadian customs in Saint John? 

Sounds like a nightmare if so. I only wanted one customs experience, not THREE. Ugh. My mother is 85 so standing in line for customs 3x is not the best. 

Also, what is clearing customs like in Saint John/Portland/Boston ports for those who have experienced it?  

I’m Canadian if that matters, not sure if we are cleared differently than Americans. 

10 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

You don’t go through customs until you disembark, if even then. So why is Bar Harbor cancelled? I’m on the north bound cruise prior to yours and hoping Bar Harbor isn’t going to be missed on that one.

It is still on for the northbound.

Although customs is only at the end there may be emigration to deal with.

37 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

You don’t go through customs until you disembark, if even then. So why is Bar Harbor cancelled? I’m on the north bound cruise prior to yours and hoping Bar Harbor isn’t going to be missed on that one.

I’m sure I’ll have to go through immigration as a Canadian at some point to be allowed off the ship for good in the US at the end of the cruise - it is a one-way 😉

Bar Harbour was canceled due to port congestion- there were 3 other ships in port already the day we were due there.  Looks like you have 3 too (Sept 8?) but maybe they are smaller ships? 

2019-Cruise-Ship-Schedule?bidId=

8 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I know the last time I visited Victoria (in/out of Seattle for an Alaskan cruise), we completed our customs form ahead of time & dropped it in the box by Guest Relations the night before we reached Victoria (there was a submission cutoff time). On & off the ship with no issues or lines. Also, we will be docking at Cape Liberty, NJ, although there is a post-cruise to airport excursion (EWR, JFK, or LGA airports) that includes a tour of Manhattan. I guess they consider our port "Metro NY" even though it's in a different state : )

Karla ~

Edited by MSO4STATIV

I had the same experience as @MSO4STATIV when I sailed NCL this spring, from LA to Vancouver.  Fill out the form, drop it at guest services, done.  When getting off the ship in Canada there was no sign of any kind of customs or immigration check, either in Victoria or Vancouver.

On a US-bound trip there may be a customs/immigration check but it may only be at final disembarkation.

We've done this cruise 3 times, this is #4.  Northbound, you fill out a Canadian immigration form on board and drop in a box near Customer Service.  No line.  YEAH!

Normally on the Southbound trip, the morning you get to Portland, you stand in line for US Immigration.  It is usually pretty fast, they do it by either cabin numbers or C&A levels or Early shore excursions. (can't remember which).

Customs is when we get off the ship at Port Liberty.  They usually give you the form in advance, you fill it out, and after picking up your luggage, you go to the person in the kiosk, hand them your form and passports, and off you go.  I've  never been stopped for a more thorough search.

I don't know what is going to happen this time.  I'm just hoping for the best.

The last time we had to clear customs onboard (I think it was AD Canada/NE cruise) they had us line up outside of the MDR. It wasn't a long wait. We basically just walked through, single file, past the customs agents. Very easy. Non-US had another location but I am guessing it was similar.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m also concerned with how it’s handled and not really confident it won’t be a mess. I just found out that at some point my itinerary was changed as well. I’m on the October 7 Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale. Originally we were supposed to go from Saint John to Portland, Bar Harbor, Boston.......Now it’s Halifax to Bar Harbor to Saint John to Portland to Boston. Are we standing in line for US customs in Bar Harbor, back to Canada Customs in Saint John, US customs again in Portland? 

You will likely have to do us immigration on Bar Harbor. Fill out a Canada customs card and hand in to guest services for Saint John and us immigration in Portland . The non us lines can be a bit on the long side and the ship will have a staggered system in place to manage the crowd  in the non us area. They may have 2 lines. One for Canadians and one for every one else as they likely need a I94. One ship even told Canadians that they had to fill a I94 out when it is not required and even gave us 2 papers one saying to go to the us line. One to the non us line.  I followed that one with the required documents that matched the cbp website 

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping my fingers crossed here after seeing Gabrielle forming on the east coast with a heading towards NS ... If Dorian keeps moving at "snail's pace" up the eastern seaboard, we could be in for a fun ride if these 2 systems meet. Packing my Bonine!!!

8 minutes ago, MSO4STATIV said:

Keeping my fingers crossed here after seeing Gabrielle forming on the east coast with a heading towards NS ... If Dorian keeps moving at "snail's pace" up the eastern seaboard, we could be in for a fun ride if these 2 systems meet. Packing my Bonine!!!

Yeah, but time of year. Back in 90's use to always sail this week, really Cheap back then. One sailing had 4 named Storm/Hurricanes same week. We steered around them but waves and ride worse ever felt, and I go out North Atlantic almost every yr. You'd be walking along and felt like floor dropped 10ft. Many broke bones on our cruise,  lost count with about 50 either in cast, sprains or Wheel Chairs. I dont get Sea Sick so was an adventure for me. Sorry you do, Good Luck!

From my experience last year on another cruise line: at the first U.S. port of call (but not the end point of the cruise) after leaving a Canadian port, everyone will go through a simplified immigration check. For U.S. citizens it was just showing your passport and it took place aboard the ship. There was a separate line for non-U.S. nationals and I think, but I am not certain, that it will be equally smooth with a Canadian passport.

At a subsequent Canadian port of call, there may be no check at all. Then there will be an immigration and customs check at disembarkation in Boston. There, you might be asked how long you are staying in the U.S., where you're going, whether you have a return ticket--the usual questions.

• Thanks 1

Most cruises I have done go to a different country every day. "Clearing Customs" is something done administratively behind the scenes. No lines every time we get off the ship. I am doing a similar itinerary Oct 7. No ports were canceled, just the order changed. It will be what it is, we have no control so don't stress about it. If you are really worried call Royal 

1 minute ago, JuliaMS said:

Most cruises I have done go to a different country every day. "Clearing Customs" is something done administratively behind the scenes. No lines every time we get off the ship. I am doing a similar itinerary Oct 7. No ports were canceled, just the order changed. It will be what it is, we have no control so don't stress about it. If you are really worried call Royal 

Technically, at most ports you are considered "in transit" and not entering or leaving the country in the same legal way as you would if your transportation was via air.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Technically, at most ports you are considered "in transit" and not entering or leaving the country in the same legal way as you would if your transportation was via air.

So this shouldn't be any different

16 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

On our Alaskan cruise next week (Seattle to Vancouver), I’m assuming we’re clearing customs in Vancouver and not Victoria, right?

Emigration in Victoria, customs in Vancouver.

Emigration should be just fill out a form and drop it in a box.

• Thanks 1

Well, that settles that for customs

• In Portland and Boston, there’ll be a U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspection for all guests since we are returning to the US from a foreign port.
  • Also, some guests will need to go through a similar process with the Canadian Border authorities when we are in St. Johns, Canada.
  • We’ll provide more information on these processes once you’re onboard.

31 minutes ago, battery low said:

Well, that settles that for customs

• In Portland and Boston, there’ll be a U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspection for all guests since we are returning to the US from a foreign port.
  • Also, some guests will need to go through a similar process with the Canadian Border authorities when we are in St. Johns, Canada.
  • We’ll provide more information on these processes once you’re onboard.

Is this a communication you just got from RC?  And I can’t say I’m surprised at all that we’d have to do the CBP song and dance twice.  🙄

EDIT: just got the email 😞

Edited by WorkerBee74