Door decoration ban

drvmywifecrzy

10 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Dunno.

But this is a conversation about decorations on cruise ship doors. Maybe on a hotel forum you will get your answer.

That's unlike you to be snarky, Keith.   I was asking because I was wondering if people considered cruise ship rooms different from resort rooms.

Just now, ColeThornton said:

That's unlike you to be snarky, Keith.   I was asking because I was wondering if people considered cruise ship rooms different from resort rooms.

Sorry, didn’t mean to be snarky. Just had a dinner planning disagreement with the wife, so maybe shouldn’t have commented.

I do think that there is a difference between hotels and cruise ship rooms due to the length of the stay. I can’t comment about resorts as I’ve never stayed in any other than Orlando, and certainly for us there is quite a difference. Others may disagree.

I have to say, I’m surprised at my involvement in this conversation. A few years ago I wouldn’t have cared less about door decorations. Not something I would do, nor something I cared about others doing.

However, I have smiled in the past when seeing some things other people have done, and we really liked the itinerary map with a magnetic ship we saw on a door a few years ago. My wife liked it so much that she has made one for each cruise we have done since, and have had a few comments from other people about it. On occasion, when we forgot to move the ship on other people have done it for us. The thought that it may make someone else smile is really nice and I have to admit that it had never occurred to me that’s others may have a problem with it.

If NCL decide to ban it than that is their decision and we won’t put the map on the door. I have, however, been quite surprised by the reaction of a small number of people on this and another thread about the subject, although I assume that some are just trolling (not referring to any recent posters).

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

How many people decorate hotel and resort doors?   Just curious on a slow Monday.

I have seen decorated doors at all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean..one resort decorated it for you if it was a special occasion

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

How many people decorate hotel and resort doors?   Just curious on a slow Monday.

I have to admit I have only been on 7 cruises.  That being said I have only seen 5 doors decorated all together so I'd say all in all not too many.  Haven't been on Disney, I'd think those would be more though.  

2 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

I just learned that in the south, people decorate the doors of new mothers in the hospital.  I think the lady was from Alabama who said this.

Wow, with the speed they run you out of the hospital these days, the mom and baby would be home by the time they got the decorations up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For what its worth, we have sailed on music cruises chartered through Sixthman on NCL for the past nine years (on the Pearl and the Jade.)

Three years ago, NCL let Sixthman know that music cruise guests were no longer allowed to decorate doors on NCL due to it being a fire hazard. This has been in all of our cruise prep materials/documents since 2016.

We never cruise NCL outside of the music charters, so I had no idea that they were still allowing non-chartered cruises to decorate doors.

Edited by PearlJade
updated with ships names
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe I'm getting involved in this, but I wanted to answer a question related to door decorating at hotels.  I don't door decorate.  It's not my "thing", but if it's allowed, I could care less if other people do. I responded to all of this to say that people actually do decorate at hotels and resorts.  I've seen it with larger family groups who are celebrating a birthday or special occasion.  They decorate the door of the person celebrating and they sometimes also decorate the doors of those traveling with them.  It helps the family members find each others rooms in the hotel without needing a written list of who is where. 

If you have ever been to a hotel or resort when a travel sports team, dance team, cheer team, etc. is there, these families decorate doors and sometimes go all out covering the entire door.  The athlete's name and number are frequently on the door in addition to other decorations.  Siblings and parents of the athletes make door decorations prior to the competition/tournament and decorate all of the doors for the entire team and coaches.  They think it's fun, a great way to celebrate the players and it's the way that teammates can find each other in the hotel without driving the front desk staff crazy.  Hotels will often no longer tell kids what rooms their friends are in.  Those kids aren't carrying around a paper list with room numbers on it.  The alternative is that they knock on all of the doors on the floor until they find who they are looking for.  It upsets other hotel guests and then the front desk gets angry calls. So door decorating does happen at hotels.  

Edited by kelly-NYC
  • Like 2

If it's a fire hazard on the outside of the door, it's a fire hazard inside also. Look - NCL is tired of having their housekeepers clean up the messes and the potential damage to the doors. That's why the company is banning it.

• Like 4

On 8/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, Love my butler said:

You absolutely can hang it.  Your steward may or may not take it down.  Tips tend to go down when stewards touch things that don't belong to them....

Your signature says it all, Love my butler. 🙄

To me, if someone breaks the rules and hangs the decorations, those decorations are fair game. The door belongs to the cruise line, not to the passenger, and technically the cruise line can confiscate just about anything it deems "unsafe" -- power strips, candles, etc. Same concept here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is NCL , maybe this is part of a new revenue stream program ? Upcoming there will be a new  announcement offering a very limited opportunity where you will have the great privilege of  enrolling in their  Enhanced Door Upgrade Program . For a non-nominal fee you will be able to display your decorative sensibilities . Prices will be based on size and tackiness . 

On 8/5/2019 at 6:55 AM, snee said:

Will N.C.L. be stopping leaving all the junk they leave outside your door then because its sometimes there for days

!!!!!!!!

On 8/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, Love my butler said:

I always call my butler for advice too.  If you would have tossed that bird overboard,  I am certain you would have been put off at the next port.  Zero tolerance.........

I always call my butler too. He never answers because sadly he doesn't exist . 

On 8/8/2019 at 5:59 PM, CruisingNole said:

The notion that it is a “safety hazard” is laughable, just like the NCL cheerleaders blindly defending this.

As you said, if room service dishes, bar glasses, etc aren’t a safety hazard, I can’t imagine how door decorations are. What about all the sales crap they shove behind your room number placard? All the flyers, etc. Those “decorations” are somehow safe but passenger decorations aren’t? LOL, give me a break.

!!!!!!!!

On 8/4/2019 at 7:28 PM, PortFees45 said:

Good for NCL. People walking down the hall don't need to know it's your damn birthday or whatever. 

Exactly how many fires were caused by decorations?  How does placing them inside the cabin eliminate the so called 'fire hazard'?

What has been the dollar cost of removing the decorations that have been left?  How much time does it take to remove decorations from one door?

Why not just add a service charge for removing decorations that are left on doors after the cruise?

Why not get serious about real problems like SOLAS violations of scooter,  wheelchairs, etc  left in hallways and blocking emergency egress?

NCL needs a name change.  Perhaps; PPP for petty party poopers.  It's past time to start getting serious about real problems and stop this petty nonsense.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 4:06 PM, Ptroxx said:

I just looked at a daily from the Joy. From saturday.  And it didn’t have anything about no door decorations.    Just sayin.    

DF1C6BF0-4912-4BC9-A3D0-7885C039A585.jpeg

Did anyone notice the part about Electronic devices.?

If you are not in the cabin, you are not supposed to have electronic devices plugged into wall outlets when no one is in the cabin.

A question to the people who are saying the door decorations are a fire hazard...Do you leave electronic devices plugged in when no one is in the cabin?

I just read on a FB page that NCL is notifying passengers on their future cruises that this "ban" has been lifted, and door decorations will be permitted as long as they don't protrude into the hallways and are fireproof.

Exactly how they determine what is fireproof and what isn't is the big question.

11 minutes ago, gatour said:

Did anyone notice the part about Electronic devices.?

If you are not in the cabin, you are not supposed to have electronic devices plugged into wall outlets when no one is in the cabin.

A question to the people who are saying the door decorations are a fire hazard...Do you leave electronic devices plugged in when no one is in the cabin?

The bit about electronic devices has been NCL rules for a while now. It is, as you can see, in the dailies and they also say about it at the Muster Drill.

I believe that they do unplug them if staff find things plugged in (I can’t say from experience, as I follow the stated rules).

My guess is that people who are saying the decorations are a fire hazard do unplug their devices, but I suppose you never know. Lots of people justify bending rules to fit what is convenient to them.

4 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The bit about electronic devices has been NCL rules for a while now. It is, as you can see, in the dailies and they also say about it at the Muster Drill.

I believe that they do unplug them if staff find things plugged in (I can’t say from experience, as I follow the stated rules).

My guess is that people who are saying the decorations are a fire hazard do unplug their devices, but I suppose you never know. Lots of people justify bending rules to fit what is convenient to them.

You aint just whistlin' Dixie on that one, Keith.

A picture of my door on the Norwegian Sun (May 2017).

I suppose on longer cruises (around South America), when the cruise staff is looking for things to do to entertain the passengers, door decorations are acceptable. 

On my cruise they advertised and promoted a door decorating contest, craft supplies were provided if needed  ( I used their crepe paper). The entries were shown on the big screen in the theatre and prizes were awarded - I received a loaded bag of NCL swag and a bottle of champagne for my door.

Guess things have changed. 🤪

Rochelle

92996AF3-2E03-481F-980F-DA18AAD2C047.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, rochelle_s said:

A picture of my door on the Norwegian Sun (May 2017).

I suppose on longer cruises (around South America), when the cruise staff is looking for things to do to entertain the passengers, door decorations are acceptable. 

On my cruise they advertised and promoted a door decorating contest, craft supplies were provided if needed  ( I used their crepe paper). The entries were shown on the big screen in the theatre and prizes were awarded - I received a loaded bag of NCL swag and a bottle of champagne for my door.

Guess things have changed. 🤪

Rochelle

92996AF3-2E03-481F-980F-DA18AAD2C047.jpeg

Great job! I love door decorating. 

• Like 1