Harvest Caye ferry to Placencia

KarlChilders

Cruising into Harvest Caye in December aboard the Getaway.  The previous time we were here the only transport to the mainland was if you had booked an excursion.  I believe there is now a ferry, but it doesn't show available for booking as an excursion.  Does anyone know the particulars on this.  Any info would be appreciated.

• Like 1

As I understand,  the ferry is $20 RT. You buy ticket on board your ship.

Have not been to HC, but saw a review where there was a 10AM ferry and a 1:30 and 2:30 PM return. May be ones between but last ferry could be too late if ship is leaving late afternoon. 

Just took the ferry in March.  When we did it it was $30pp, well worth it!  The ferry runs multiple times per day and usually your return time is 3 hours after your ferry over.  As crewsweeper said you book it on board, I believe you can also book it at the ferry dock, but I am not positive on that.  I did ours through the TV in our room.  We chose the 9am time and with that one when we checked in they gave us the latest return ferry.  The person checking us in said it was because most people that take the 1st ferry over have an excursion so they don't impose the 3 hour return time.  From what I have read if you do not make your return ferry at the specific time you have to wait until there is space available on the next one.  I believe someone said they had to wait over an hour when they missed their designated time, because the return ferries were full.  I believe our return was at 3:30?  Maybe 2:30.  I can't remember for sure.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 11:35 AM, amc155 said:

Just took the ferry in March.  When we did it it was $30pp, well worth it!  The ferry runs multiple times per day and usually your return time is 3 hours after your ferry over.  As crewsweeper said you book it on board, I believe you can also book it at the ferry dock, but I am not positive on that.  I did ours through the TV in our room.  We chose the 9am time and with that one when we checked in they gave us the latest return ferry.  The person checking us in said it was because most people that take the 1st ferry over have an excursion so they don't impose the 3 hour return time.  From what I have read if you do not make your return ferry at the specific time you have to wait until there is space available on the next one.  I believe someone said they had to wait over an hour when they missed their designated time, because the return ferries were full.  I believe our return was at 3:30?  Maybe 2:30.  I can't remember for sure.  

Good morning!  When you say you booked the ferry on your TV, was it listed under the excursions?  I can't find a ton of info on the ferry - I even called NCL Excursions and they knew nothing about it! 

When you went to Placencia, do you recall the $$ you used in town?  I would like to go for lunch and maybe a shop or two.  Are credit cards or US dollars accepted? Thank you! 

4 minutes ago, CJJSanchez said:

Good morning!  When you say you booked the ferry on your TV, was it listed under the excursions?  I can't find a ton of info on the ferry - I even called NCL Excursions and they knew nothing about it! 

When you went to Placencia, do you recall the $$ you used in town?  I would like to go for lunch and maybe a shop or two.  Are credit cards or US dollars accepted? Thank you! 

Morning!  Yes, it was under excursions.  Super easy!  

If I remember right we used a VISA to rent the golf cart and USD when we stopped at the grocery store/market.  The place we had lunch we used one or the other, I honestly don't remember now.  I know we did not get any special currency for our cruise.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 8:28 AM, amc155 said:

Morning!  Yes, it was under excursions.  Super easy!  

If I remember right we used a VISA to rent the golf cart and USD when we stopped at the grocery store/market.  The place we had lunch we used one or the other, I honestly don't remember now.  I know we did not get any special currency for our cruise.  

Please tell me more about renting a golf cart? Cost? Where did you go and what did you do? Did you feel safe? 

I also want to spend the day in Placencia during my cruise in March. My husband and I have shore excursion credit for this particular cruise. Does anybody know if we can use that credit to buy tickets for the ferry? Is this just me wising for the best? Hehehehe. Either way I will go to Placencia, it is one of those places that excites me to know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 3:00 PM, HelenaHaz said:

I also want to spend the day in Placencia during my cruise in March. My husband and I have shore excursion credit for this particular cruise. Does anybody know if we can use that credit to buy tickets for the ferry? Is this just me wising for the best? Hehehehe. Either way I will go to Placencia, it is one of those places that excites me to know.

Remind me in December... I am going to try to use an onboard credit so we will see if it works! 

On 10/4/2019 at 2:48 PM, CJJSanchez said:

Remind me in December... I am going to try to use an onboard credit so we will see if it works! 

I'm going in January, and I plan on trying to use the excursion credit for this.  I read previous posts that say you can.  Hopefully I'll also remember to report back before you leave in March.  We're going to be at Harvest Caye for 12 hours so I really want to spend some of that long day in Placencia

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 12:38 PM, Jenner9 said:

Please tell me more about renting a golf cart? Cost? Where did you go and what did you do? Did you feel safe? 

Sorry, it's been so long. We just walked and found a place.  We ended up using Barefoot Rentals I think it was called.  It was about $50 for 4 hours maybe?  We felt safe the whole time, had a blast.  If we go back I would probably go through Captain Jak though.  I think theirs may go a little faster.  LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do live interviews about travel, and am looking for someone that can talk about independent travel on the water taxis, and in general safety outside the confines of the port area in Belize, if you would be willing to be interviewed, you can email me at ken@travelingwithachair.com.

21 minutes ago, misguy said:

I do live interviews about travel, and am looking for someone that can talk about independent travel on the water taxis, and in general safety outside the confines of the port area in Belize, if you would be willing to be interviewed, you can email me at ken@travelingwithachair.com.

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong post.

• 1 month later...

Update, we took the ferry last week, the cost was $25 each, booked thru the excursion desk on board.  The $50 excursion credit did apply, making our cost zero.  Had a great day seeing the village.  They will give you a set return time, or you can go standby on the others.  On our trip, 3 pm was the last option.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, KarlChilders said:

Update, we took the ferry last week, the cost was $25 each, booked thru the excursion desk on board.  The $50 excursion credit did apply, making our cost zero.  Had a great day seeing the village.  They will give you a set return time, or you can go standby on the others.  On our trip, 3 pm was the last option.  Hope this helps.

Thank you for your update. Can we walk to the main places as soon we desimbark the ferry or do we have to take a tour? Can we acess beaches in Placencia n a walking distance from the ferry? (I was looking in google maps but it seems that everything is farway to walk...)

We took the ferry by buying tix from the excursion desk. Once you get to Placencia, you are on your own. No tours...just a sidewalk and a couple streets.  We ate at Dawns and the food was good, but everything in the town was very run down, and no AC so be prepared mentally!  I wasn’t thinking and paid in USD and realized after, the check was in Belize $$ so I basically paid double because of my mistake.  There are a few beaches to walk and photo take, but I didn’t see people laying out just photo taking.  I enjoyed the adventure, but would not go to Placencia again as there was very little to do. I would stay on the boat or choose another excursion. 

21 minutes ago, framboesa said:

Thank you for your update. Can we walk to the main places as soon we desimbark the ferry or do we have to take a tour? Can we acess beaches in Placencia n a walking distance from the ferry? (I was looking in google maps but it seems that everything is farway to walk...)

Depends on what you consider far. It wasn’t for us but we walk regularly. Search YouTube for Tipsy Tuna, we walked up there and if you buy a drink or food you can hang on their beach. Very reasonable. If it’s Wednesday it is wing special day. $1 wings (Belize) so $.50 is. They were delicious. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...