Cruise Critic Community
bottom-dragger

northern lights

Nothing that's going to make the cover of Nat'l Geo but still an enjoyable show. Greens and yellow-greens.

between 1 and 3 am. sorry they're so inconvenient .......

like my sig says, I live in Petersburg, midway between KTN and JNU but unless you're on an adventure class ship, you won't be coming here, we voted down the state building us a deep water port, twice.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bottom-dragger said:

Nothing that's going to make the cover of Nat'l Geo but still an enjoyable show. Greens and yellow-greens.

I spent 5 days in Fairbanks in March one year just for the aurora.  We had clear moonless nights for every night.  They were intense!!

You could get to Petersburg by ferry or at least you will be able to once the strike is over and also assuming that your governor does not destroy the ferry system.  We just flew through Petersburg on our flight from Anchorage to Wrangell.  Went with my grandkids.  They were impressed with the 15 minute flight from Petersburg to Wrangell.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Bottom-dragger observed during Astronomical twilight, when the sun is between 12 and 18 degrees below the horizon. No twilight color remains, so the skies are pretty darned dark. But not full night yet. I'm glad that we are again getting into aurora season. When we make our 2nd trip to Alaska (Sept. not May 2021), we hope to spend a few days in Denali/Cantwell area specifically to search/watch aurora. The area is extremely dark and has more dark time than Fairbanks. Graphic attached show dark time for Cantwell (top) and Fairbanks (bottom) for September 10.

dark time sept 10.jpg

On 8/5/2019 at 2:04 PM, bottom-dragger said:

between 1 and 3 am. sorry they're so inconvenient .......

like my sig says, I live in Petersburg, midway between KTN and JNU but unless you're on an adventure class ship, you won't be coming here, we voted down the state building us a deep water port, twice.

We love Petersburg ... stayed at the Nordic House B & B for a few nights before a cruise on the M/V Sikumi several years ago. It was a wonderful, albeit short stay. Sending a hello from dreadfully hot Arizona 🙂

4 hours ago, masterdrago said:

Bottom-dragger observed during Astronomical twilight, when the sun is between 12 and 18 degrees below the horizon. No twilight color remains, so the skies are pretty darned dark. But not full night yet. I'm glad that we are again getting into aurora season.

well, those computer projections work great if you're in the flatlands with endless horizons but I'm at 50' above sea level (officially 51' so I don't have to pay for tsunami insurance) and my horizon is above a 2000-9000' mountain range surrounding tiny town. It gets darker and blacker earlier than what your computer predicts.

And to DogLover, I spent the last two weeks w/ my mom in OK. 112 heat index??!!! Only twice in 40+ years have I been back to OK in the summer. My last gift from my dad was he waited until the temp was below triple digits before he passed away.

20 hours ago, bottom-dragger said:

And to DogLover, I spent the last two weeks w/ my mom in OK. 112 heat index??!!! Only twice in 40+ years have I been back to OK in the summer. My last gift from my dad was he waited until the temp was below triple digits before he passed away.

Yup, 112 is a regular occurrence in AZ for August - yuck! One reason why we are taking the Celebrity Eclipse from Vancouver on August 18 to visit your awesome state, then spending several days in Victoria post-cruise.

Hope to get back to Petersburg ... we prefer off the beaten path places to meet locals and explore. Just wasn't in the cards this time around.

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, masterdrago said:

Bottom-dragger observed during Astronomical twilight, when the sun is between 12 and 18 degrees below the horizon. No twilight color remains, so the skies are pretty darned dark. But not full night yet. I'm glad that we are again getting into aurora season. When we make our 2nd trip to Alaska (Sept. not May 2021), we hope to spend a few days in Denali/Cantwell area specifically to search/watch aurora. The area is extremely dark and has more dark time than Fairbanks. Graphic attached show dark time for Cantwell (top) and Fairbanks (bottom) for September 10.

dark time sept 10.jpg

I was in Denali on Monday night when the Aurora was expected.  Unfortunately it rained that night and the next.  There is an app that will tell you the prediction and likelihood due to clouds.  Otherwise this is a good site: https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

PS... there is also an app that helps you photo it if all you have is your iPhone.  I had both apps,  it weather failed me.

Edited by SoBaycruiser

FYI - I was just on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam and learned that you can go to Guest Services and ask them to call your room to wake you up if the Northern Lights become visible.  They asked if they could call anytime at night and I said yes.  Now, as it turns out I never got a call because the conditions weren't great for Aurora spotting, but this is something you might want to check into on your own cruises.

We are on the Amsterdam now and asked to be put on a list and they said they do not have a list and will not call. Luckily they came out early (before 11 PM) and the captain announced it (2 days in a row)!

Edited by cruises42

Wow, how amazing, 2 nights in a row @cruises42 We are embarking on Monday on the ms Amsterdam (EXCITEMENT IN THE AIR!), and hope we'll see them, even though, it is not great timing with the full moon; someone did mention before, we could ask Guest Services, and I'll certainly try, as we'd really not mind being woken up at any time of the night should they be showing!!!

Debbie Downer mode -

In fifteen years I have never heard of someone being woken on a mega cruiser for the lights being out . Adventure class ships, yes.

Sometimes, if it's important, you must assume some personal responsibility. Set your alarm  to look outside after midnight.

17 minutes ago, bottom-dragger said:

Debbie Downer mode -

In fifteen years I have never heard of someone being woken on a mega cruiser for the lights being out . Adventure class ships, yes.

Sometimes, if it's important, you must assume some personal responsibility. Set your alarm  to look outside after midnight.

Yes indeed, re: responsibility. And it never hurts to ask though. When you don’t ask, you don’t get. But when you do ask, you may get 😉 

I’ve read on CC about 4 different cruisers who were woken up as they had left words at Guest Services (pretty sure from memory these were on HAL), so merely agreed with the previous cruiser saying they had read it.

If they say no, of course, we will still make it happen if they do appear 🤗 by making the most of our time.

For some reason, I would think the lighting on a cruise ship might prohibit good viewing of aurora. I remember looking at the sky from Liberty of the Seas hundreds of miles out in the Gulf of Mexico and being underwhelmed by the night sky. I'm an avid amateur astronomer and wanted to spot some more southerly faint but naked eye nebulae. Didn't happen - just too much light pollution onboard. If you are using online services onboard, you can easily get alerts to possible aurora activity at several web pages. AuroraAlerts on FB, spaceweatherlive, and Aurora_Alerts on twitter.

4 hours ago, masterdrago said:

For some reason, I would think the lighting on a cruise ship might prohibit good viewing of aurora. I remember looking at the sky from Liberty of the Seas hundreds of miles out in the Gulf of Mexico and being underwhelmed by the night sky. I'm an avid amateur astronomer and wanted to spot some more southerly faint but naked eye nebulae. Didn't happen - just too much light pollution onboard. If you are using online services onboard, you can easily get alerts to possible aurora activity at several web pages. AuroraAlerts on FB, spaceweatherlive, and Aurora_Alerts on twitter.

Thanks for these alerts sites 😊 I use an app on my phone called  ‘My Aurora alert’ and it has been very accurate as it gave me an alert on both nights @cruises42 saw them. Our cruise though is next week and we will have a full moon which drastically reduces the chance to see them though, still 🤞 Have set up a few locations alerts along our Alaska routes.

15 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

Wow, how amazing, 2 nights in a row @cruises42 We are embarking on Monday on the ms Amsterdam (EXCITEMENT IN THE AIR!), and hope we'll see them, even though, it is not great timing with the full moon; someone did mention before, we could ask Guest Services, and I'll certainly try, as we'd really not mind being woken up at any time of the night should they be showing!!!

We saw them a third night and I believe again last night but it was very faint. We asked at Guest Services and one person said she would put us on a list but another person there said there is no list.

9 hours ago, cruises42 said:

We saw them a third night and I believe again last night but it was very faint. We asked at Guest Services and one person said she would put us on a list but another person there said there is no list.

We look forward to seeing them, even though, as I mentioned the full moon will reduce our chances, but this won't be a deal breaker 😉 just a super added bonus if we do see them. Hope you've had a wonderful time onboard the Ms Amsterdam.

13 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

We look forward to seeing them, even though, as I mentioned the full moon will reduce our chances, but this won't be a deal breaker 😉 just a super added bonus if we do see them. Hope you've had a wonderful time onboard the Ms Amsterdam.

Having a great time, weather has been good too.