Cruise Critic Community
Carolina Girl 99

Wow- when did Nationwide reduce the Port of Call change benefit?

I'm about 30 days out from my cruise, so time for me to pick our insurance policy. I always do a comparison and include the  3 Nationwide cruise policies, especially when cruising during hurricane season. Well, I was shocked to see that they have greatly reduced the Port of Call Change benefit. IIRC- it used to be $500/$750/$1250 per port. I'm wondering if they got burned paying out on a lot of claims

1617788222_NationwideCruise.png.6f549c66601496fb07fb5da28557d411.png

What does "Non-Medical Evacuation" mean?  Is this for some sort of security emergency?  Or?

Thanks!

As for the reduced benefits, I wonder if all of the Cuba cancellations hit them hard, and they don't want to risk something like that again?  (such as when there are political problems, and a country/port/area is suddenly no longer a cruise port stop? and they realize more now what *could* happen?)

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What does "Non-Medical Evacuation" mean?  Is this for some sort of security emergency?

Pretty much.  Here are the specifics:

The Company will pay for the Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation Benefits listed above if, while on Your Trip, a formal recommendation from the appropriate local authorities, or the U.S. State Department, is issued for You to leave a country You are visiting on Your Trip due to:

1. a natural disaster;
  2. civil, military or political unrest; or
  3. You being expelled or declared a persona non-grata by a country You are visiting on Your Trip.

After some of the payouts I've seen posted, the fact that Nationwide was one of the only insurers to provide this coverage, I was wondering when they would reduce or eliminate this coverage.