Vista vs. Neptune

aledomom

We are currently booked in a Vista Suite for our upcoming trip and there are 2 Neptune Suites available.  The boat is almost sold out and packed so we aren't getting a price break at all in fact we are almost doubling the cost of the cruise portion.  Just trying to process the true benefits to upgrading.  I would love to upgrade to Signature but there isn't anything available.  I would prefer the King bed in the Neptune or Signature and the extra sink in the bathroom would be convenient.  If it matters at all we are on the Nieuw Statendam.

Anyone have any thoughts to help me clear this up in my mind?

Edited by aledomom

What ship?

You get a larger room, larger balcony, larger bathroom. Access to Neptune Lounge for concierge and snacks. Breakfast in the Pinnacle Restaurant or Club orange (depends on the ship), free laundry, priority embarkation and tendering. 

Whether it's worth it is something only you can judge. How long is the trip? Are there a lot of tender ports that would add value to the priority? What else might you spend that money on during the trip--specialty restaurants, tours, spa, drinks? Also, if you booked with a promo, you might lose the promo benefits. 

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What ship?

Also, if you booked with a promo, you might lose the promo benefits. 

Sorry I edited after your response....Nieuw Statendam.

I checked with our PCC regarding upgrade pricing and he didn't mention losing the prepaid gratuities when he gave me pricing.

Be very careful with upgrading cabins after booking.   We booked a Lanai cabin on the Rotterdam for a 29 day cruise in Oct 2020, and we received the SBP as part of the Early Booking Bonus promotion in March while booking onboard.  There was no increase in price for the Lanai cabin.  After getting back home, (past the 60 day limit) we decided we wanted to upgrade to a Vista Suite, costing about $2100 extra per person.   I thought this would be a simple upgrade, considering we were paying the current price for the suite.   Not so easy with HAL.   They refused to accept a paid (full price) upgrade to the Vista suite unless we dropped the free SBP which has a value of $1500 P/P for a 29 day cruise.   There's no way we would pass up the SBP, so our TA is trying to negotiate a deal with HAL.   We will see what happens.

@TAD2005  Thanks for the word of caution.  We didn't book this trip until July 3, 2019 and it departs September 8, 2019.  The only "perk" we received was prepaid gratuities.  I did go ahead and do the upgrade today and our prepaid gratuities moved forward with us into the new cabin.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, aledomom said:

@TAD2005  Thanks for the word of caution.  We didn't book this trip until July 3, 2019 and it departs September 8, 2019.  The only "perk" we received was prepaid gratuities.  I did go ahead and do the upgrade today and our prepaid gratuities moved forward with us into the new cabin.

Hope you enjoy the new suite 🙂 

glad to hear that you were able to upgrade and not lose your perks. 😄 

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

You made a good move!  A Vista suite really isn't a suite at all.  It's around the same size as a verandah cabin.  The Neptune has much more space and benefits.

Thanks. If the Signature Suites hadn’t been sold out we would have done that but oh darn we had to go Neptune. LOL! I just know we will not be comfortable in a queen size been for 7 nights. That was one of the main factors in the decision. I know we will love the Neptune. We are on deck 4 and quite a hike from the lounge but the walking will be good for us!

On 8/6/2019 at 7:11 PM, aledomom said:

I think the reason your "perk" stayed with you when you upgraded cabins is because you were still within the 60 day limit from disembarking the ship.  Whatever promotion that was in effect when you booked, was still in effect when you upgraded.  Our problem is the EBB promotion (that provided the $1500 P/P SBP) ended on June 30, and we asked our TA to move us up in late July.   We are still waiting for a decision from the Big Box TA and HAL.

5 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I think the reason your "perk" stayed with you when you upgraded cabins is because you were still within the 60 day limit from disembarking the ship.  Whatever promotion that was in effect when you booked, was still in effect when you upgraded.  Our problem is the EBB promotion (that provided the $1500 P/P SBP) ended on June 30, and we asked our TA to move us up in late July.   We are still waiting for a decision from the Big Box TA and HAL.

That’s not it. We weren’t onboard when we booked this cruise. We haven’t been on a cruise since May 2018. When I asked our PCC said we aren’t going to take this away when you are upgrading and giving us more money. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aledomom said:

That’s not it. We weren’t onboard when we booked this cruise. We haven’t been on a cruise since May 2018. When I asked our PCC said we aren’t going to take this away when you are upgrading and giving us more money. 

This should be a win-win-win for everybody.  HAL will sell an unsold suite for the going rate, HAL can then re-sell our Lanai cabin at $500 more than we paid for it, because there's only 3 left.  I get a Vista Suite with the same SBP that HAL is happy to give me with my $4500 Lanai cabin.   HAL gets $2000 more per person, resells my Lanai cabin at a higher price and i pay the going rate for a Vista suite.  Plus my TA make commission on $4000 higher cruise fare.

Everybody wins.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

Everybody wins.

Yes and we learned a lesson.  Never book a cabin with anything smaller then a King!  Costly lesson for us since there were no signature suites available but I know we will enjoy every moment of our Neptune Suite.  You only celebrate your 30th anniversary once!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aledomom said:

Yes and we learned a lesson.  Never book a cabin with anything smaller then a King!  Costly lesson for us since there were no signature suites available but I know we will enjoy every moment of our Neptune Suite.  You only celebrate your 30th anniversary once!

Happy anniversary (in advance)! You may find that the Neptune Suite is addictive.

• Like 1