Ever take a foam mattress topper on board?

My wife and I find the mattresses to be uncomfortably firm and lumpy on virtually every ship we have ever been on.  Heading out on a long cruise soon and wondered if anyone has ever tried taking a foam mattress topper?  We would buy it in port before departure, and we don't see any problem getting maybe a 1 - 1.5" king size topper on board, but what to do when we end in Sydney?  We don't want to fly home with it.  Think we can just leave it on board?

26 minutes ago, DrinkersAndThinkers said:

My wife and I find the mattresses to be uncomfortably firm and lumpy on virtually every ship we have ever been on.  Heading out on a long cruise soon and wondered if anyone has ever tried taking a foam mattress topper?  We would buy it in port before departure, and we don't see any problem getting maybe a 1 - 1.5" king size topper on board, but what to do when we end in Sydney?  We don't want to fly home with it.  Think we can just leave it on board?

No need to drag that thing on board....they will provide you with an egg shell mattress topper for use if you call them and ask.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrinkersAndThinkers said:

no kidding??  You mean call before the cruise or once on board? 

You can try calling before the cruise, but most reports indicate that they will say they don't do that anymore for sanitary reasons.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You can try calling before the cruise, but most reports indicate that they will say they don't do that anymore for sanitary reasons.

I can see that happening for sure, Bob. We must've been lucky on Vision this time around.

Yes. This is what we take.

It rolls up easily, stores in a sleeve for transport and is very light. 

It inflates with 15-20 puffs of air to provide enough cushioning for comfort  and I place it under the mattress pad that is provided. I find that it helps greatly to cushion hips and back from the hard mattress and I sleep much better.  When I ordered I purchased it in green...they were about ~$20 each.

• Like 1

I brought one on our recent Vision TA and left it there. One of the crew members was probably glad to get it. The hard beds are killer for me and the pad was like heaven. All they’ll do onboard (from my recent past experience) is stick an extra quilted pad on the bed that helps a little but I still end up in pain after a few days. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.   We just got off the 7/27 Anthem and the beds were rock hard, even with some  extra padding.   We discussed bringing  toppers next cruise.   I will say the  beds on the Symphony in Nov. were no way as horrible as the ones on the Anthem. 

1 hour ago, DrinkersAndThinkers said:

I pack one of these https://www.klymit.com/double-v-sleeping-pad.html

Bought it onsale at Costco or Amazon for about half that, give it to the steward and ask him to fill it.

6 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Bought it onsale at Costco or Amazon for about half that, give it to the steward and ask him to fill it.

We use the Klymit sleeping pad too.  We've used it several years for multiple cruises and it has not leaked at all.  We tell the steward we have it and we put it on the bed the first night.  One time the steward came to introduce himself the first day and saw us blowing up the pads.  He immediately came in and tore into the bedding and put the pad on and remade the bed.  He seems upset that we were going to make the bed ourselves.  He got an extra tip that time.

Mary

1 hour ago, AlanF65 said:

I like that but at only 47" wide on a 'royal king' it seems like we would each be falling off one side or the other.  May look for a larger one, maybe another brand...

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

This is actually a request I made through the special needs dept and it has been noted on my invoice!   It is going to be interesting to see if they can actually provide one or not.  I sure hope so!   

1 hour ago, margeecruiser said:

We use the Klymit sleeping pad too.  We've used it several years for multiple cruises and it has not leaked at all.  We tell the steward we have it and we put it on the bed the first night.  One time the steward came to introduce himself the first day and saw us blowing up the pads.  He immediately came in and tore into the bedding and put the pad on and remade the bed.  He seems upset that we were going to make the bed ourselves.  He got an extra tip that time.

Mary

I have one too and have brought it on my last two cruises but didn't need it. It rolls up very small when deflated. I have also emailed special needs and requested a mattress topper and it was provided on both Freedom and Navigator. 

We usually sail Celebrity and have always requested one for our cruise. Only once have we not gotten it & asked for it as soon as we realized it had not been put on the bed. When we came back after dinner, it was there. We forgot to ask on Ovation of the Seas and I will be making sure we ask before our next cruise on Allure.

57 minutes ago, ryano said:

This is actually a request I made through the special needs dept and it has been noted on my invoice!   It is going to be interesting to see if they can actually provide one or not.  I sure hope so!   

Hope it works for you.  Have done this several times... got the email response saying they would do it... and once onboard, it was not done.  Asked the steward and he/she put 2 or 3 quilted mattress pads under the sheet and that was it.  Steward said they don't have egg crates any more.  Last cruise, I asked for a separate blanket and then folded the duvet in half and put it under my side of the bed.  Was better than nothing for sure, but still hard.  I purchased a blow up mattress and have used it once, but found that I constantly fell off the edge of it so stopped taking it.

Good luck... let us know how it goes for you!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twincheryl said:

Hope it works for you.  Have done this several times... got the email response saying they would do it... and once onboard, it was not done.  Asked the steward and he/she put 2 or 3 quilted mattress pads under the sheet and that was it.  Steward said they don't have egg crates any more.  Last cruise, I asked for a separate blanket and then folded the duvet in half and put it under my side of the bed.  Was better than nothing for sure, but still hard.  I purchased a blow up mattress and have used it once, but found that I constantly fell off the edge of it so stopped taking it.

Good luck... let us know how it goes for you!

Thank you!  I guess we will just schlep them on ourselves then just in case!  I cant sleep on a brick mattress and folded duvets arent gonna cut it! 

We have requested an egg crate topper on every cruise we have taken in the last 5 years on NCL and RCL and they have always provided it. Our requests were through a concierge, but I have heard from several other people that they have requested one once onboard from their cabin attendant.  

17 hours ago, margeecruiser said:

Mary

How do you blow it up?  Do you bring a small pump or is it easy to inflate by mouth?  Am thinking of getting the double one. Thanks

Mary Ann

My son uses a Klymit pad in the Army instead of the foam "puss pad" that they are supplied for field training.  HUGE difference in size compared to the foam (it's not much larger than a can of soda-pop), it blows up very easily by mouth, and he says he sleeps a lot better and feels more rested when he gets up three hours later.  

He says three hours on a puss pad is like getting one hour of sleep, while three hours on his Klymit pad is like getting five hours of sleep.

16 hours ago, UFMOM said:

How do you blow it up?  Do you bring a small pump or is it easy to inflate by mouth?  Am thinking of getting the double one. Thanks

Mary Ann

Mary Ann I have two that we take on our cruises, I blow them up in about 25 to 30 breathes it is not hard at all.

• Like 1

Yes, we do unfortunately.  The last straw was the Anthem.  Absolutely the worst mattresses I’ve ever slept on.  It was like sleeping on the floor.  Since then, we pack a mattress foam topper.  When we sailed the Freedom about 2 years ago, we did ask once again for help with the hard mattress.  As you can see they put 2or 3 paper thin quilts (not really sure what else to call them?) on the bed.  It did zero,  it was still hard as a rock.  I know my husband and I put this issue on our survey every time.  It’s a big sore spot for us for what we pay to cruise. 

4ABBB5AF-2D44-4899-942D-C0F474E5D8A4.jpeg

94B7BDDF-644B-4EC8-B348-FFEA81C99421.jpeg

8D7F32A1-915F-4BCA-864E-7CA9BC6028D8.jpeg