British Isles Cruise-need info please

trvlwrld

We are going on the British Isles cruise in mid-September.  Can anyone tell me how rough the seas usually are at that time of year.  Starting in Dublin and going to Belfast, Invergorden, Edinburgh,  Brussels,  Le Havre, and South Hampton.  I wanted to try cruising without seasick meds, and wondering if this is the cruise to try....or not?

Last year, we did a TA from FLL to Dover in June. very stormy. Missed three ports, but avoided the worst of the rough seas. 

I assume you will be on the Crown Princess. If so, see you on board. We board August 29 and get off October 18.

I assume you know the cliche about British people talking about weather all the time. Well that's because we never know what it's going to do. September is often a lovely month but nothing is guaranteed, weather could be doing pretty much anything. The usual advice, layers, waterproof and sea sickness med and hope you won't need any of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

I assume you know the cliche about British people talking about weather all the time. Well that's because we never know what it's going to do. September is often a lovely month but nothing is guaranteed, weather could be doing pretty much anything. The usual advice, layers, waterproof and sea sickness med and hope you won't need any of them.

Totally agree.

Maybe hot, cold, wet ,windy or foggy and that is all in one day! You should be safe from snow but you never know. October is supposedly the stormiest month but anything goes.

I would play the sea sickness meds by ear. You may not need them but definitely don’t travel without themxthem

ok-expect everything and be surprised by nothing...still mulling the seasick meds because they need to be taken BEFORE the waves get rough...unfortunately the side effects really want to make me try it without!

We had fairly smooth seas when we did our British Isles cruise in August 2017. The only rough spot was tendering in Guernsey, especially the return tender to the ship. We were on the Caribbean Princess. I always take along some candied ginger and ginger tea. 

DH and I usually take seasick meds. What we ended up doing on our last cruise(Panama Canal) was to start out taking them and then if the seas were really calm just not take them that day.

We were surprised to find that for us the usually wavy Pacific was calm and the usually less wavy Caribbean was wavy.

No one can predict what the waves will be like for your trip so I'd suggest starting out with the meds and then stopping if the ocean calms down. IF you get bad side effects you might want to change up the meds to something else?

14 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

ok-expect everything and be surprised by nothing...still mulling the seasick meds because they need to be taken BEFORE the waves get rough...unfortunately the side effects really want to make me try it without!

have you used Bonine?  Less side effects, from what I understand.

Bonine and Dramamine II(the less drowsy one) both have the same basic ingredient which is called Meclazine. You can get the generic Meclazine in any pharmacy. That is the pill that the ship would give you if you went to the doc on the ship needing an anti seasick pill.