Cruising out of Long Beach 1st time

iminyourmind

Rubio’s is the quintessential Baja taco. Fried fish, fresh cabbage, spicy red salsa and white sauce. Over the years Rubio’s have moved back to their original flavor and style and produce a good product. It’s fast, filling, fresh and easy to enjoy. 

California pizza can is often unique with many fresh toppings and made in a wood fired oven. IMO its a massive improvement over traditional cheese and sauce pizza. We’re fans of artichokes, feta, olives, spinach, red onions and sun dried tomatoes with high quality olive oil drizzled on top. 

Mexican food varies so much, I’d try and experience as much of it as you can, including Ensenada. And if you like seafood, Mexican seafood dishes are also great. 

There’s a large Asian population in LB too (Filipino, Cambodian and Vietnamese). 

I have a few clients in LB and there’re some great Pho shops near the port area. 

Mangosteen
510 E Broadway, Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 495-5999
https://goo.gl/maps/DivzbwC6AS8MGT2Y7

Edited by CA_Cruzing
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gretan said:

If you want cheap Mexican, SuperMex is a local chain.  There is one in the downtown Long Beach area.

My priority is In-N-Out Burger.  I'm even spending money to get there from the Queen Mary.  But I'll consider SuperMex in addition: I hope it has authentic tacos, like beef tongue or chorizo.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

7 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

My priority is In-N-Out Burger.  I'm even spending money to get there from the Queen Mary.  But I'll consider SuperMex in addition: I hope it has authentic tacos, like beef tongue or chorizo.

No, Supermex is white washed. King Taco is the In-N-Out of Mexican food. They have lengua, cabeza, buche, plus all the expected fillings.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

No, Supermex is white washed. King Taco is the In-N-Out of Mexican food. They have lengua, cabeza, buche, plus all the expected fillings.

Oh wow, nice!  It's not too far from the Queen Mary, either.  I tried lengua but not buche or cabeza.  But I'm planning to, and I know what those are.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:36 AM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Oh wow.  I know about animal style, but a whole onion slice is probably much nicer than chopped.  I'm getting that for sure.

And order your fries extra well done!

5 hours ago, katstoy said:

And order your fries extra well done!

Basically, that means potato chips, not fries.

Light well is an option too.

@LandlockedCruiser01, you might as well just go 4x4 and add raw onions, grilled onions, extra pickles, extra spread, chopped chilis. 

Good luck on this one. You'll be full for two days when done. http://hackthemenu.com/in-n-out/secret-menu/

7 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Basically, that means potato chips, not fries.

Not chips, sticks!  Hot, salty, sticks!!

Image result for planters potato sticks

A couple of years ago I was with some friends at an In-N-Out and ordered my fries, as usual, extra well done.  They put all the fry orders on one tray and one of my friends grabbed my fry boat by mistake.  He started chowing down and commented that the fries were extra good that day.  As I grabbed them back from him I replied "that's 'cause they're mine!"  Needless to say he has order well done fries every time since!

Oh, and don't forget to ask for some sides of spread.  Great for dipping your fries.

Edited by katstoy
  • Thanks 1

@CA_Cruzing: I think a 4x4 will be too much for me.  I'm putting in a lot of effort into losing weight before I cruise, and I don't want to gain it all back before I even get on the ship.  (On my previous cruises, I didn't gain a pound, because I was active almost the whole time I was awake.)  I'll most likely get a double-double animal style, with extra vegetable toppings.  And of course, well-done fries; I read elsewhere that regular fries are too mushy.  Now, if only In-N-Out served IPA craft beers; a man can fantasize.

@katstoyI might get a side of spread too.  It might be too much spread in one sitting, though, with my burger being animal style and all.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, CA_Cruzing said:

Rubio’s is the quintessential Baja taco. Fried fish, fresh cabbage, spicy red salsa and white sauce. Over the years Rubio’s have moved back to their original flavor and style and produce a good product. It’s fast, filling, fresh and easy to enjoy. 

California pizza can is often unique with many fresh toppings and made in a wood fired oven. IMO its a massive improvement over traditional cheese and sauce pizza. We’re fans of artichokes, feta, olives, spinach, red onions and sun dried tomatoes with high quality olive oil drizzled on top. 

Mexican food varies so much, I’d try and experience as much of it as you can, including Ensenada. And if you like seafood, Mexican seafood dishes are also great. 

There’s a large Asian population in LB too (Filipino, Cambodian and Vietnamese). 

I have a few clients in LB and there’re some great Pho shops near the port area. 

Mangosteen
510 E Broadway, Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 495-5999
https://goo.gl/maps/DivzbwC6AS8MGT2Y7

How close is Rubios to port area. We are at Maya Double tree?

24 minutes ago, ktravel said:

How close is Rubios to port area. We are at Maya Double tree?

5 miles/13 mins drive. 

Rubio's
4702 E 2nd St, Long Beach, CA 90803
(562) 439-8317
https://goo.gl/maps/ueEhQF27fAabxezz6

Check out Rubios online before you go to make sure it’s worth the Lyft/Uber ride (your expectations and preferences). Rubios is a fast casual eatery serving traditional Baja fish tacos and other seafood and healthy options. 

If if you elect not to Lyft if, you can get great Mexican food and drinks closer by to port at:

Tequila Jack's Restaurant and Cantina
407 Shoreline Village Dr, Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 628-0454
https://goo.gl/maps/F8twqVnRFLcVmnH68

Rubios fish tacos and a few cervezas always makes for a fun and easy meal. Inexpensive too. 

Welcome to CA! Hopefully you enjoy the food and culture here (the weather’s pretty good too)!!!!!!!

Edited by CA_Cruzing

On 8/17/2019 at 1:00 AM, CA_Cruzing said:

5 miles/13 mins drive. 

Rubio's
4702 E 2nd St, Long Beach, CA 90803
(562) 439-8317
https://goo.gl/maps/ueEhQF27fAabxezz6

Check out Rubios online before you go to make sure it’s worth the Lyft/Uber ride (your expectations and preferences). Rubios is a fast casual eatery serving traditional Baja fish tacos and other seafood and healthy options. 

If if you elect not to Lyft if, you can get great Mexican food and drinks closer by to port at:

Tequila Jack's Restaurant and Cantina
407 Shoreline Village Dr, Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 628-0454
https://goo.gl/maps/F8twqVnRFLcVmnH68

Rubios fish tacos and a few cervezas always makes for a fun and easy meal. Inexpensive too. 

Welcome to CA! Hopefully you enjoy the food and culture here (the weather’s pretty good too)!!!!!!!

Thank you 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...