March 8th Nieuw Statendam Canceled

Suzanne123

Just got the email from HAL. Our 14 day back to back March 8th on the Nieuw Statendam is canceled.  They’re offering us $75 per person ( veranda) to rebook on a different date in March.   Glad I bought travel insurance. I had all my flights and hotels set up.  Maybe they have a charter?

Should, but didn’t offer. 😞. If we don’t book a different cruise, they will refund our deposits.  

If any other spring 2020 Caribbean 14-day voyage is selected, you will be re-accommodated in the same (or equivalent) stateroom category at the rate paid. In addition, the above Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category booked.

Cancellation Protection Plan cost and Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses will be calculated based on the new booking.

If you elect not to rebook, we will refund all funds paid to Holland America Line in full.

March 8th is well within booking airline timing.

I’d take this up with your TA or contact HAL and ask about your airfare.  

A whole $75?  I wouldn’t be too thrilled as I know I would have airfare booked already.

• Like 2

We were on the March 15th sailing that was canceled.  We have decided to take the March 14th cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam instead.  Not our first choice but our options are limited as we can only go that week.

Thankfully, we had not booked our flights.

55 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am guessing you haven't changed a flight recently? $150-200 is much more common. Varies by airline.

i think you misread,  as I didn’t quote a dollar amount?   

But when HAL  changed our cruise substantially we were offered both an OBC AND coverage of airline fees.   Seems only fair that they make you whole when they cancel. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

HAL did the same thing with the Feb 9 cruise on the NS.  That cruise will be a charter.  There were enough people already booked that a roll call was already going.  Not sure I understand why HAL does this.  Do they think this is good for customer relations or do they just not care anymore?

• Like 1

Interesting that HAL would book a charter during Spring Break month when most ships are booked 100% at premium rates. They must have made a fortune to charter a cruise in March and not worry about  pissing off hundreds of already booked passengers.

I believe this may be chartered for the Dave Ramsey Show, I saw on youtube he had a cruise going in March and I believe its on the Nieuw Statendam........................

Edited by doone

We were also booked on this cruise. I have to say I was initially upset but we rebooked on the Nieuw Amsterdam which imo is a much nicer ship. We went on the NS last year and it was not our favourite ship. Too dark and too loud. Although the March 14th itinerary is not what we preferred we decided being on a ship we enjoyed was well worth the compromise 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 8:45 AM, doone said:

I believe this may be chartered for the Dave Ramsey Show, I saw on youtube he had a cruise going in March and I believe its on the Nieuw Statendam........................

No...According to Ramsey website his cruise on the N.S. is the following week.. March 22. 

On 8/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, Himself said:

Sounds to me like a Charter group purchased the ship for that week.

I agree. I won't book a 7-day cruise or a 14-day that is made up of two 7-day cruises, especially in the Caribbean, because the charters and large groups usually are on 7s.  

On 8/7/2019 at 5:19 AM, rothbury said:

HAL did the same thing with the Feb 9 cruise on the NS.  That cruise will be a charter.  There were enough people already booked that a roll call was already going.  Not sure I understand why HAL does this.  Do they think this is good for customer relations or do they just not care anymore?

It's all about the Benjamins...

HAL is a for-profit company, not a customer relations company.   If someone leaves, there is always someone waiting in the wings to take the place.   

So this is odd.  I am booked on the March 8th cruise. I just contacted my TA and they looked in the HAL system and they told me the cruise was still active.  So I asked that they call the cruise line directly and confirm and the HAL rep indeed stated that the sailing is still active.  Now I don't know what to do!!

9 hours ago, UM-Fan said:

So this is odd.  I am booked on the March 8th cruise. I just contacted my TA and they looked in the HAL system and they told me the cruise was still active.  So I asked that they call the cruise line directly and confirm and the HAL rep indeed stated that the sailing is still active.  Now I don't know what to do!!

Odd is right, I just logged into the HAL site, went thru the booking process and was able to select my cabin on the March 8 sailing on the NS and if I wanted to book, I could.........I don’t understand why people were told their cruise was cancelled.....I had a cruise cancelled once and that cruise was immediately taken off the HAL website.......strange......

Edited by doone