Can you get modifications at Guy's Burgers?

5 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I believe there are regulations regarding cooked ground beef. I could be wrong.

nothing legal, but most chains only cook the burger to 150 degrees or MW. Generally ground beef is allowed 3% organ meat which is susceptible to e coli, hence cooking thoroughly. Restaurants that serve ground chuck or sirloin can serve medium rare as it's ground steak. 

Just now, coevan said:

nothing legal, but most chains only cook the burger to 150 degrees or MW. Generally ground beef is allowed 3% organ meat which is susceptible to e coli, hence cooking thoroughly. Restaurants that serve ground chuck or sirloin can serve medium rare as it's ground steak. 

I like my steaks medium rare. But I have to have my burgers thoroughly cooked.  The least bit pink and I gag.

7 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

I have tried that and generally you are lucky if you get an extra ring. I did ask the MD in charge of lido about why it is so hard to get extra onion rings and he had no idea and said we should be able to get extra, but apparently the people who run Guys Burgers on the ship do as they wish. 

My theory is that the onion ring inventory is optimized for adding one ring to each appropriate burger, rather than giving out piles of them.  They have extra in stock for give to people like me, who want it on a burger that normally doesn't have one, but that's about it.  So if they give out a pile of onion rings to whoever asks, the inventory will quickly become lopsided, and they won't be able to properly serve burgers that include an onion ring.  It would be comparable to an Atkins fanatic asking for a pile of beef patties; that would create a patty shortage, turning a batch of burgers into onion ring sandwiches.

I supposed the Guy's Burgers servers do as they wish is due to the branding.  Like a "Gordon Ramsey" kind of thing, where they have a lot of leeway to fulfill or decline customers' requests beyond what's on the menu.  I remember reading a post about how they wouldn't give someone an order of fries, and required the person to take a burger with it.  Hence, this thread.  

Conversely, they could provision the ship with extra onion rings and add it as a menu item.  Onions are cheap, after all.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

18 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

My theory is that the onion ring inventory is optimized for adding one ring to each appropriate burger, rather than giving out piles of them.  They have extra in stock for give to people like me, who want it on a burger that normally doesn't have one, but that's about it.  So if they give out a pile of onion rings to whoever asks, the inventory will quickly become lopsided, and they won't be able to properly serve burgers that include an onion ring.  It would be comparable to an Atkins fanatic asking for a pile of beef patties; that would create a patty shortage, turning a batch of burgers into onion ring sandwiches.

I supposed the Guy's Burgers servers do as they wish is due to the branding.  Like a "Gordon Ramsey" kind of thing, where they have a lot of leeway to fulfill or decline customers' requests beyond what's on the menu.  I remember reading a post about how they wouldn't give someone an order of fries, and required the person to take a burger with it.  Hence, this thread.  

Conversely, they could provision the ship with extra onion rings and add it as a menu item.  Onions are cheap, after all.

It's a burger joint, don't overthink it. Happy Cruising!

11 hours ago, coevan said:

It seems like ground chuck would also be susceptible to ecoli since every portion of it could have been contaminated.  With steak, only the outside can be contaminated so that makes sense that only the outside needs to be cooked to a certain temperature.  But anything ground could be contaminated throughout the product since the contamination could have happened before it was ground.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems like ground chuck would also be susceptible to ecoli since every portion of it could have been contaminated.  With steak, only the outside can be contaminated so that makes sense that only the outside needs to be cooked to a certain temperature.  But anything ground could be contaminated throughout the product since the contamination could have happened before it was ground.

Oddly, last few years at least, one also hears a lot about E coli associated with lettuce and such. Guess I shouldn't have the shredded lettuce on my burgers, lol  😄

Tom

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Oddly, last few years at least, one also hears a lot about E coli associated with lettuce and such. Guess I shouldn't have the shredded lettuce on my burgers, lol  😄

Tom

That's true.  It seems like so many random food items can be contaminated.  At home, I put my fruits and vegetables in a large bowl, add a little baking soda, and let them sit for awhile.  Then I rinse them under running water.  I wash the outside of melons well before I cut them.  When I am traveling, I just hope for the best.

20 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

apparently the people who run Guys Burgers on the ship do as they wish. 

Stu, 

You know Guy's is a franchise operation and that a " side of onion rings " is not on the menu. Did you know you can't order a Big Mac with mustard on it at McDonald's? It's true. The crew are trained to offer you packets of mustard so you can add the mustard yourself. 

When in Rome , and you've been doing several European cruises in the past few years to know 🙂

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

Stu, 

You know Guy's is a franchise operation and that a " side of onion rings " is not on the menu. Did you know you can't order a Big Mac with mustard on it at McDonald's? It's true. The crew are trained to offer you packets of mustard so you can add the mustard yourself. 

When in Rome , and you've been doing several European cruises in the past few years to know 🙂

Many times though, in years past, I was able to order Quarter Pounders with Big Mac sauce.

Tom