Inter ship communication

Frogdogpal

There is a group of about 15 of us traveling. Is there a form of communication on the ship so we can keep in touch with each other. Hand held communication of some sort?

.We are on the NCL Encore.  Thanks

Edited by Frogdogpal
Spelling

5 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We tried walkie talkies but when you have bulk heads between you and whoever you wished to communicate with it did not work too well.

They were handy on shore.

Plus, when people try to use these devices on board, it’s hugely disturbing to those around them. They may also be illegal ashore, depending on the country.  Best to leave them at home. 

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The NCL mobile app has a messaging and calling feature; there’s a one-time fee for this ( I think per device).

https://www.ncl.com/apps

Yes it’s per device. It doesn’t work super well and you have to keep the app open the entire time because it won’t give you a notification. 

We found our iPhones all worked without using data....we could text each other, but only iPhone to iPhone.. They also offer a much cheaper "social media" package that allows you to then be able to use messenger. There is also the "whatsApp"...I just used it in Europe, works great. 

If you pay the fee for the app ($10 per device for the length of the cruise), you don't need to have an internet package.  This app works on the internal wifi that doesn't have Internet access.  You can call and text each other with the app

2 thoughts:

1. The main complaint with the Norwegian app is that the connection drops and reconnects as you walk through the ship. (No, that's not how that's supposed to work). Instead, relaunch the app when you get where you are going (restaurant, show, etc.) and leave open. Your connection remains stable when you are in one spot. 

2. If everyone feels like paying for the Social Media package (way more expensive than the app), then I HIGHLY recommend downloading and using WeChat. This app is huge in China and I can see why. My daughter and I used it when she was in China on a school trip and I fell in love with it. You can text, video chat, make phone calls, have group texts, send pictures, etc. Can you tell I'm a fan? LOL!

To clarify about "texting" -  When messaging iPhone to iPhone you are using iMessage, an Apple service.  When texting among any combination of phones that are not iPhones, you are using the carrier SMS texting service.

SMS texting technically requires telephone services from a carrier.

iMessage technically requires an Internet connection to Apple's servers.Other services, like FaceBook messenger and WeChat, require an Internet connection.

Sometimes iMessage works without buying an Internet plan.  But sometimes it is blocked. You can connect to the ship's WiFi and see if it works even if you didn't buy an Internet plan.  Set your phone on airplane mode, then enable WiFi.  

If your phone and carrier support WIFI CALLING, and you plan to buy Internet access, then enable it before you leave. It may not work on lower packages but it would also work if you find WIFI in a port restaurant.

Connecting to the ships's cellular services will cause higher charges for text messages, about $.50 to $1.00 each message. And $2-5 per minute for phone calling.  Some carriers offer plans for cruise ships now, where you pay about $50-100 as a flat fee if this is important to you. If you do this, data is strictly limited and very expensive.  Set your phone cellular data OFF or at least set data to ROAMING OFF. Your voice services must be set to enable roaming if you choose to do this.

Many carriers offer affordable roaming plans.  AT&T and Verizon offer plans that cost $10 per 24 hours that work in most caribbean ports.  You must enable these plans before you leave. Your voice, texting and data are enabled as if you were home for 24 hours on the local cellular systems. (GO back into airplane mode when the ship leave port!)

• Like 2

We plan on using the NCL App for $10 per phone.  Last year on Royal, we had a major headache trying to get the 6 cruisers on the same page for ANYTHING!  This app is definitely a game changer, and especially being able to get a hold of my teenage kids is going to make me relax just that much more......I'll be at Maltings.....But Dad you've been there since noon...Yes son, I'll be at Maltings...Still Dad?  Yes Son....If you need me, I'll be at Maltings....lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I've not seen a better explanation of all this than @PelicanBill gave.  Can't that singular post be made a sticky for all visiting this forum to see?

Oh thanks.  This gets confusing for a lot of people. I'm going to save it for re-use even if not in an FAQ!

I've used the new version of the NCL App on the Dawn and the Bliss. It worked much better than iConcierge for texting. I didn't find myself closing it and launching it non-stop. I always have an internet package and I still get the $9.99 onboard messaging just to keep in touch with those that don't. Though I am questioning that wisdom since more people I know are getting something we can stay in touch with on board.

We spoke with Verizon, our carrier. We normally carry a 2GB plan. Don't need any more. On a twenty nine day roadtrip we recently bumped it up to 8GB. Lots of pics flying back and forth. Verizon says for the period of the cruise we can go unlimited data. Back to 2GB on our return. 

At the same time NCL had sale on their unlimited plan. So with those we should be able to post, email, make jealous all the folks at home.

I just don't want to spend my cruise worried about data. Besides each carrier has their own contract with the different countries. And there is no way I'm going to try and decipher those.

I'll be with YankeesFan4Life at Maltings. Maybe I can convert him to the Braves.