To HAL and back.

Shawnino

HAL's newest ships have half the number of Neptune Suites (roughly) with twice as many people (roughly).  And only one Penthouse Suite.  To me this is more than a demographic shift, but rather another example of the degrading of the overall product.  

I don't think they were trying for U-40s on our cruise. The music venues are most limited on Rotterdam anyway Mainstage (not always music), "Lincoln Center", and a couple bars with spaces for live musicians on Deck 5. Then if you want, you can make space in Observation Lounge. Zero themed venues like Billboard or whatever.

The Latin combo was OK but very laid back. If the crowd was into it (dancing/clapping), then they got into it--but they couldn't bring the crowd with them. 

As I think I mentioned, the classical ensemble was made up of talented musicians, but they couldn't play together. Small-ensemble classical is tough to pull off, I'm the first to agree--there's no conductor guiding you. But each seemingly felt he had to be the loudest (maybe the acoustics are deceiving to the performers...I don't know... I'm trying to make excuses) and they played on top of each other without mercy.

I guess you could also have people playing in the theatre. Like I said, it was set up for an older/tamer crowd: we had American Test Kitchen in there mornings/afternoons (which we liked), followed by modern movies and screenings of BBC Living Earth.

37 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

I don't think they were trying for U-40s on our cruise.

No but Virgin is.  We will see how that works out.

I think HAL is trying to hit 45-65 but right now they appear to be slightly older than that target age.  JMO

I thought that the age range on Oceania, Azamara and Hal was comparable. My limited observation: Passengers are on average younger on German cruise lines and whenever there are many Australians. They all have much more vacation time than Americans.