Leaving a Cruise Early

Bootman4U

I apologize if this topic has been covered with accuracy elsewhere.  We are booked on an NCL cruise in June/July beginning and ending in Civitaveccia. The final port is Cannes.  We would much prefer to disembark in Cannes from which we would make our way to the Nice airport for a flight onward.  The  flight we want leaves at a much more convenient time than from FCO and taking the train from Termini simply requires too much time in this case.

I am also planning to check with my TA about this assuming he will consult with NCL but thought I would ask here in case anyone has had direct experience in doing so.

I am sorry but "I have heard" information is of less value. 

Thank you

33 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

I apologize if this topic has been covered with accuracy elsewhere.  We are booked on an NCL cruise in June/July beginning and ending in Civitaveccia. The final port is Cannes.  We would much prefer to disembark in Cannes from which we would make our way to the Nice airport for a flight onward.  The  flight we want leaves at a much more convenient time than from FCO and taking the train from Termini simply requires too much time in this case.

I am also planning to check with my TA about this assuming he will consult with NCL but thought I would ask here in case anyone has had direct experience in doing so.

I am sorry but "I have heard" information is of less value. 

Thank you

In July I was on the Jade starting and ending in Rome (and Greek Islands).  A month before the cruise my girlfriend's work schedule changed to where she needed to be back on July 9 instead of July 11.  I thought no problem she could disembark and return home from Sicily and still take the majority of the cruise.

I contacted my TA and here is what he came back with after talking with NCL:

1.  The cruise lines have agreements with the countries where they embark/disembark.  These agreements allow people to disembark the ship at those ports between initial and final port without going through the normal customs required to enter the country.

2.  By disembarking early, technically she would be entering the country "illegally" by not going through the proper customs procedures for entering the country.  NCL said because of this they couldn't allow early disembarkation.

I then asked could I make arrangements for her to go through the normal Customs procedures at the port?  My TA suggested calling NCL direct which I did.  Upon talking with them they said there wasn't a way to make those arrangements and unless their was a valid emergency at the time they wouldn't allow early disembarkation.

So, I ended up doing a solo cruise.  Let me know if you have better luck.

• Like 1

NCL does not seem to allow or even submit a request for an early port disembarkation.  I have applied and received permission to get off the ship in Victoria several times rather than returning to Seattle and having to make an expensive trip home to Victoria.  The cruise line needs to send a request for approval to do this to border security.  I’ve done it on Princess, RCCL and Celebrity.  NCL was a definite ‘NO, Not allowed’.

1 hour ago, adoris said:

NCL does not seem to allow or even submit a request for an early port disembarkation.  I have applied and received permission to get off the ship in Victoria several times rather than returning to Seattle and having to make an expensive trip home to Victoria.  The cruise line needs to send a request for approval to do this to border security.  I’ve done it on Princess, RCCL and Celebrity.  NCL was a definite ‘NO, Not allowed’.

In your (this) application there would need to be a waiver of the PVSA (no not the Jones Act) for the transport

of passengers between USA and foreign ports by a non flagged USA carrier.

Your travel would be from Seattle to Victoria and not Seattle to Seattle (closed loop) cruise.

Way too much red tape and NCL would not want to go there.

The penalty (fine) would a great deal more than the surface transport and ferry ride from Seattle to Victoria.

Some the archaic rules laws regulations left over from the days of steam-ship transport but until they are repealed

it is what it is.

It would interesting to note how those other cruise lines were able to do this - maybe the origin of those cruises

was at Vancouver or made another Canadian port call to break the transport between the USA and Canada.

An UPDATE

Our TA contacted Norwegian and was told that we certainly can disembark in Cannes. We would have to remove our own luggage which we always do anyway and that the early departure will not affect the total cruise cost in any way whatsoever.  We simply have to notify Norwegian at least 30 days in advance of this intention.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

An UPDATE

Our TA contacted Norwegian and was told that we certainly can disembark in Cannes. We would have to remove our own luggage which we always do anyway and that the early departure will not affect the total cruise cost in any way whatsoever.  We simply have to notify Norwegian at least 30 days in advance of this intention.

Wow!  I'd be very wary of this and want to get something in writing from NCL just to cover yourself.  Maybe it's the Cannes port that makes a difference, but it sounds a little too easy based on the information I received when we wanted to do it in Sicily.

3 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Wow!  I'd be very wary of this and want to get something in writing from NCL just to cover yourself.  Maybe it's the Cannes port that makes a difference, but it sounds a little too easy based on the information I received when we wanted to do it in Sicily.

Totally agree.  I think getting the plan in writing on something official from NCL is the prudent thing to do as I've read and heard of far too many situations where NCL call center agents simply don't know what they are talking about.

34 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

An UPDATE

This is probably allowed since both Cannes and Rome are EU ports, so no immigration processes are required.

Just an FYI, the reason they do not allow this in the US is due to the PVSA, as noted above by don't-use-real-name.

Here is what Wikipedia says about that:

"In accordance with this law, cruise lines that operate foreign-flagged vessels are fined $778 for each passenger who boarded such a vessel in one U.S. port and left the vessel at another port. The cruise lines typically pass this cost on the passengers who "jump the ship". Exemptions are available in the case of family emergencies etc."

Thanks all. I am very aware of the provisions of the Jones Act and I have also been told there would be no Customs clearance required at Civitaveccia (for the ship) because the cruise calls at EU ports.

I agree that "having it in writing" is essential in cases such as ours:  "I'm disembarking early and your company said I could do so as this document illustrates."

The possible problem with that approach: the ship's Master says no way regardless of what the "company" said we could do.  It is going to be a fun cruise!

1 hour ago, Bootman4U said:

An UPDATE

Bear in  mind that Cannes is a tender port which will make it a bit more awkward to carry off your luggage.

I was planning to call NCL to ask about a 14-Day Eastbound Transatlantic that goes to Ireland and the UK.  I would want to debark in Dublin on/about Day 9.  Anyone have EXPERIENCE with this?  (Again, as OP mentioned and was proven by quite a few incorrect responses/guesses, what is really helpful is if anyone has actual experience doing this - thanks!)  The cruise is scheduled to end in Southampton, England.

16 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I was planning to call NCL to ask about a 14-Day Eastbound Transatlantic that goes to Ireland and the UK.  I would want to debark in Dublin on/about Day 9.  Anyone have EXPERIENCE with this?  (Again, as OP mentioned and was proven by quite a few incorrect responses/guesses, what is really helpful is if anyone has actual experience doing this - thanks!)  The cruise is scheduled to end in Southampton, England.

The Ven diagram of people who want to know about debarking in Dublin is going to be small. The likely hood any on this forum much smaller. 

I know of no of no legal restrictions that would preclude or expense this option.

Call NCL

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

In your (this) application there would need to be a waiver of the PVSA (no not the Jones Act) for the transport

of passengers between USA and foreign ports by a non flagged USA carrier.

Your travel would be from Seattle to Victoria and not Seattle to Seattle (closed loop) cruise.

Way too much red tape and NCL would not want to go there.

The penalty (fine) would a great deal more than the surface transport and ferry ride from Seattle to Victoria.

Some the archaic rules laws regulations left over from the days of steam-ship transport but until they are repealed

it is what it is.

It would interesting to note how those other cruise lines were able to do this - maybe the origin of those cruises

was at Vancouver or made another Canadian port call to break the transport between the USA and Canada.

Sorry, this is off topic but this post is completely incorrect. PVSA only applies when traveling from 1 US city to a different US city without going to a distant foreign port in between. You can certainly board in a US city (seattle) and leave in a Canadian city (Victoria) without violating the PVSA. Which is why that poster had done it on other lines.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Sorry, this is off topic but this post is completely incorrect. PVSA only applies when traveling from 1 US city to a different US city without going to a distant foreign port in between. You can certainly board in a US city (seattle) and leave in a Canadian city (Victoria) without violating the PVSA. Which is why that poster had done it on other lines.

I don't believe that you are completely correct - - -

Pardon for the misdirect of the thread topic

Will leave it for another topic thread posting and return this back to the OP's request for information about

leaving a ship at an intermediate point/port in Mediterranean waters.

Apparently NCL has responded with it is OK - Europe is less stuck up on customs and border crossings.

7 hours ago, GA Dave said:

This is probably allowed since both Cannes and Rome are EU ports, so no immigration processes are required.

Just an FYI, the reason they do not allow this in the US is due to the PVSA, as noted above by don't-use-real-name.

"In accordance with this law, cruise lines that operate foreign-flagged vessels are fined $778 for each passenger who boarded such a vessel in one U.S. port and left the vessel at another port. The cruise lines typically pass this cost on the passengers who "jump the ship". Exemptions are available in the case of family emergencies etc."

That was my first thought...the Schengen Agreement since all ports involved are part of the EU ( I am assuming the cruise in question does not have any ports outside of the Schengen area .)

8 hours ago, sanger727 said:

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I don't believe that you are completely correct - - -

Pardon for the misdirect of the thread topic

Will leave it for another topic thread posting and return this back to the OP's request for information about

leaving a ship at an intermediate point/port in Mediterranean waters.

Apparently NCL has responded with it is OK - Europe is less stuck up on customs and border crossings.

Sorry, but YOU are incorrect.  A passenger boarding in Seattle and disembarking in a foreign port (Victoria) is on a "foreign" voyage (one that starts or ends in a foreign country) and the PVSA has no bearing whatsoever on these voyages.  PVSA only regulates "coastwise" transportation (closed loop to/from US port, or from one US port to another)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GA Dave said:

10 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

6 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

That was my first thought...the Schengen Agreement since all ports involved are part of the EU ( I am assuming the cruise in question does not have any ports outside of the Schengen area .)

There can be times where early disembarkation would not be allowed, since the EU does have cabotage laws similar to the PVSA.  If the port before Cannes in the OP's case was in France, or before Dublin in pcakes case was in the Republic of Ireland, then there would be a problem.  The EU's cabotage laws only allow non-EU flag ships to transport passengers between ports in a single member nation if there is a port call in another country (EU or non-EU) in between.

Other than these circumstances, downstream boarding/disembarking is generally allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the additional replies. The cruise in question makes a stop in Italy prior to Cannes.  I still plan to try to get something in writing from NCL before proceeding further which in this case means buying air tickets from NCE onward.

I don’t wish to throw too large a spanner in the works, but as has been said, this is a tender port.  There are situations when the weather does not allow you to disembark.  I have been in Cannes on a RCL ship and friends were due to visit the same day on another line.  We tendered in to port, their Captain said that the weather was too rough (it was mid July but really windy).  So for the OP, even if you do get complete clearance, you would have to allow for the slight chance that you need to be getting a plan B train from Rome to Nice.  

Just saying.  

• Like 1

Ollienbertsmum,

thanks for your comments and the reminder that Cannes is a tender port. The onward flight from NCE would be to Switzerland and the reason for this entire "drama" is the fact that there is an event in the early evening we would like to attend.  A train from Rome takes a considerable amount of time and N/S flights leave either too early in the day or later than I would like to be hanging around FCO waiting for.

But the tender issue is important.  If the tenders are running we could wait for one which is not as jammed given the lack of room for any luggage. But how do you buy a plane ticket not knowing when you will get to the airport for certain?  Correct, you don't!

I wish I could plan on a disembarkation time in Civitaveccia but, of course those are vague: arrival at some stated time but who knows when one can actually get off?

Given the many helpful comments above and yours I am inclined to bag the whole idea, finish the cruise, make my way to Zurich and forget about that "event."  Doing so will involve much less hassle so thanks to one and all again.

Edited by Bootman4U

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There can be times where early disembarkation would not be allowed, since the EU does have cabotage laws similar to the PVSA.  If the port before Cannes in the OP's case was in France, or before Dublin in pcakes case was in the Republic of Ireland, then there would be a problem.  The EU's cabotage laws only allow non-EU flag ships to transport passengers between ports in a single member nation if there is a port call in another country (EU or non-EU) in between.

Other than these circumstances, downstream boarding/disembarking is generally allowed.

Embarking in Civitaveccia, visiting Marseille, disembarking in Cannes is not allowed?  Would that be even more strict than PVSA that allows Amsterdam, Boston, New York?

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Embarking in Civitaveccia, visiting Marseille, disembarking in Cannes is not allowed?  Would that be even more strict than PVSA that allows Amsterdam, Boston, New York?

No, that is allowed. If they missed embarkation in Italy, joined in Marseilles and disembarked in Cannes would not be allowed. But if there was an Italian port between Marseille and Cannes, it would be allowed.