Dubai cruises cancelled

scarlet ohara

11 hours ago, bodgerday said:

I am gutted, but this is totally expected.  No compensation to be given.  As a goodwill gesture, perhaps P&O would give a bigger cabin spend or nice discount on Oceana's alternative sailings.  If so I might be tempted to do the Canary Islands.

To be fair, though, this is totally outside P&O's control - and it's probably going to cost them a pretty substantial sum.  Goodwill gestures are always welcomed, but on this occasion it wouldn't be reasonable to expect one.

25 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Talk on Facebook groups that the large flags on the P&O ships is one of the reasons. A T/A apparently said it.

I’ve often thought in this age of terrorism it does mark the ships out!

I've always thought that too and in certain areas perhaps not something to advertise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Talk on Facebook groups that the large flags on the P&O ships is one of the reasons. A T/A apparently said it.

I’ve often thought in this age of terrorism it does mark the ships out!

The other lines haven't cancelled as yet so that might be so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UKWLDCruise said:

The other lines haven't cancelled as yet so that might be so.

Probably rather more to do with the perceived ‘Britishness’ of P&O than the size of any flags or markings. 

Britain’s hardly the most popular of countries because of our colonial past and a perceived sense of arrogance. Much the same could be said of America because of its own behaviour, particularly under Trump, but if you’re going to take anybody on it’s not going to be the US if you’ve got any sense!

Britain, by way of contrast, has precious little international capability these days, and it certainly couldn’t do another Falklands. Which is another small worry if Argentina decides to have another go!

Just spoken to P&O.......  we are due to pay the balance of a cruise imminently but I think we're gong to have to cancel because we can't contemplate the long flight now due to health issues.  I was thinking we may be able to transfer to an Oceana sailing out of Southampton instead.  So I rang to see when the itineraries are likely to be published thinking that would be in advance of the booking date of 20th August.  The person I spoke to said the itineraries weren't being released until the 20th!  I felt sure they'd publish them at least a few days earlier than that.  

I'd been in to see our TA prior to the call - she read out out something similar to the email posted on here (#6). But there was a slight difference in wording between her message and the email and the press release from P&O.  In those it gave examples of where the ship would be sailing including a "pre Christmas cruise to the Caribbean".  Our TA said it was a "a cruise over Christmas and New Year".  Could be consisitent if the "pre-Christmas" means departing before Christmas   and returning afterwards but I must admit I'd read pre-Christmas as coming and getting back before Christmas.  It will all come out in the wash but it would be good to get some clarity.  

18 hours ago, ann141 said:

I would think under the circumstances they might waive the transfer fee of £100 if you wanted to transfer.They do sometimes waive the admin fee

As I understand it you get you money back and rebook. No transfer involved.

1 hour ago, daiB said:

As I understand it you get you money back and rebook. No transfer involved.

I think the other person wouldnt mind booking a cruise to Dubai in 2021 which of course they could do with the 10% discount and refunded money but they already had a cruise booked on Iona feb 2021 so were talking about having to pay the fee to transfer that cruise?

3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Just spoken to P&O.......  we are due to pay the balance of a cruise imminently but I think we're gong to have to cancel because we can't contemplate the long flight now due to health issues.  I was thinking we may be able to transfer to an Oceana sailing out of Southampton instead.  So I rang to see when the itineraries are likely to be published thinking that would be in advance of the booking date of 20th August.  The person I spoke to said the itineraries weren't being released until the 20th!  I felt sure they'd publish them at least a few days earlier than that.  

I'd been in to see our TA prior to the call - she read out out something similar to the email posted on here (#6). But there was a slight difference in wording between her message and the email and the press release from P&O.  In those it gave examples of where the ship would be sailing including a "pre Christmas cruise to the Caribbean".  Our TA said it was a "a cruise over Christmas and New Year".  Could be consisitent if the "pre-Christmas" means departing before Christmas   and returning afterwards but I must admit I'd read pre-Christmas as coming and getting back before Christmas.  It will all come out in the wash but it would be good to get some clarity.  

Kruzseeka I'm sorry to hear about your health problems.

I'm sure the itineraries will be available before the 20th. We booked the re-arranged cruise on Oriana and even though it was very hastily prepared we still had two days to peruse before it went on sale.

21 hours ago, silversurf said:

What happens to your travel insurance if you have booked single trip?

We haven’t booked an Oceana cruise but if we had our insurance would have been over £600. Do P and O compensate you for this?

just contact your insurer. If you go on another cruise somewhere else you will need to have insurance for that.

16 minutes ago, happy v said:

Kruzseeka I'm sorry to hear about your health problems.

I'm sure the itineraries will be available before the 20th. We booked the re-arranged cruise on Oriana and even though it was very hastily prepared we still had two days to peruse before it went on sale.

Thank you happy v for your kind thoughts.  😔  Fortunately not too serious - just sitting for 9 hour flights wouldn't be good news for me at the moment - hoping for some improvement eventually! 

We're hopeful we can find something attractive to us but timing is all which is why we'd like to know the dates and itineraries.  It would have been helpful to be able to transfer the deposit to another trip (perhaps Oceana) but I think we'd need to pay the balance before we will know what's on offer.  As it happens it was a low deposit offer so not really anything to fret about.  

Kruzseekea I'm sorry to hear that you might have to cancel your trip too due to health reasons , I received a letter to day from P & o about my cancelled Dubai trip funny didn't get a email like everyone else just a note on my cruise personaliser but in the letter it did say that the itinerarys and dates would be available on 20 the August and 10% discount for a future cruise booked to any October 2019 to March 2020 fly Caribbean holiday or any October 2020 to March 2021 Dubai holiday , or if we book with Costa cruise with 20% discount all this has to be booked by 30 the September, it's all quite confusing so we're just going to have a full refund and book a land base holiday instead but I hope you get your holiday sorted out soon 

Many thanks Purdey16 for your good wishes.  Seems as though the information you received confirms the 20th as the date the details of the itineraries will be announced as well as be available to book.  I'm sure we'll find something but at the moment sailing from Southampton would be a good option for us so I'll await the rearranged itineraries with interest - and hope that there will be a cruise we'd like to do. 

On 8/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, scarlet ohara said:

Just had an email from P&O to say that our cruise from Dubai to Malta in March is cancelled. Oceana cruises in the Gulf are all cancelled from October

Scarlet, we were also booked on the transit cruise from Dubai back to Malta. 

Was really looking forward to this unique itinerary, but obviously safety issues are paramount. 

We've now booked onto Azura in the Caribbean to take advantage of the 10% discount offered by P&O. 

So one wonders if Arcadia on world cruise will still go through Dubai - Suez - Malta in March/April, next year?    It could detour around Cape of Good Hope I suppose.

We are on Singapore to Southampton sector and heard nothing from agent or P&O, yet.

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

So one wonders if Arcadia on world cruise will still go through Dubai - Suez - Malta in March/April, next year?    It could detour around Cape of Good Hope I suppose.

We are on Singapore to Southampton sector and heard nothing from agent or P&O, yet.

Suez is not in the Gulf region Les.You will be OK except for just the Dubai stop maybe.

11 hours ago, NSWP said:

I suppose P&O will have to assess the risk and see what protection might be available.  A one-off voyage sailing through the area is rather different to having a ship based in the area and sailing potentially risky waters week in week out.

Received email this morning via our online cruise TA - Really disappointed as we had a big package of golden triangle land tour followed by Dubai to Dubai and follow on cruise Dubai to Malta - There are similar options to replace land tour and first cruise - But do we want to cruise in the area and will other cruise lines follow suit - Have to think hard on that one before deciding what to do for our Jan / Feb and or March trip next year - Its interesting as someone else has said P&O have world cruise or part of going through that region as do other companies in the group ie Princess 

MSC are offering OBC to P& O cruisers wanting to take a USE cruise after cancellations,seem s a lot have taken up offer . They have 2 ships based in region with cheaper prices that P& O.

all other cruise lines are continuing as scheduled including all the sister companies of P&O e.g. costa, carnival etc

2 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

MSC are offering OBC to P& O cruisers wanting to take a USE cruise after cancellations,seem s a lot have taken up offer . They have 2 ships based in region with cheaper prices that P& O.

all other cruise lines are continuing as scheduled including all the sister companies of P&O e.g. costa, carnival etc

Something very odd when the sister companies continue to complete the itinerary. Confused dot com !