Secluded Beach... and Snorkeling?

TheMettins

Tortola Secluded Beach... and Snorkeling?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. We are looking to take a taxi to a beautiful uncrowded beach (loungers & umbrellas not needed). We travel w/ snorkeling gear, so good snorkeling is a plus- but not required. Which location do you recommend? Any information on taxi prices would be greatly appreciated

• Brewers Bay
    • Long Bay
    • Smuggler's Cove

We are looking to take a taxi to a beautiful uncrowded beach (loungers & umbrellas not needed). We travel w/ snorkeling gear, so good snorkeling is a plus- but not required. Which location do you recommend?  Any information regarding taxi prices would be greatly appreciated! 

1. Brewers Bay

2. Long Bay

3. Smuggler's Cove

Same question I asked in your STT post please - your port times and date, and do you require restrooms? And you want a beach that offers some snorkeling I assume?

My initial choice would be Smuggler’s, as that is our favorite beach when cruise ships are in port. But a taxi can be somewhat risky for the return and a rental would be more appropriate. Without your port times/date info Brewers would be the very best option with a taxi.

With longer port times (10 hrs) there are better options so look forward to your answers...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blue_water said:

Same question I asked in your STT post please - your port times and date, and do you require restrooms? And you want a beach that offers some snorkeling I assume?

My initial choice would be Smuggler’s, as that is our favorite beach when cruise ships are in port. But a taxi can be somewhat risky for the return and a rental would be more appropriate. Without your port times/date info Brewers would be the very best option with a taxi.

With longer port times (10 hrs) there are better options so look forward to your answers...

Breakaway 9/26, only in port 7a-3p.  Again, no restrooms or food needed.

Ok, unless you want to take the time to rent a Jeep and drive to Smuggler’s Cove, Brewers is your best option. Second most popular beach for cruisers, easy 8pp shared safari taxi with a beach bar, but still much less crowded than CGB and a nicer beach with snorkeling...

And for a less crowded beach and possibly some snorkeling, Long Bay, West End is a beautiful long, picture postcard beach actually pictured in several mags (as is Smuggler’s). LB should be less crowded, and unsure about snorkeling but I know it is rockier to the left and center as you face the water. Great views and diving pelicans here...There is a Tropical Fusion restaurant nearby that opens ~11, and you will see a small store as your taxi passes Sebastian’s restaurant and hotel before going over the knoll to LB. So in case you can’t get a taxi back from Long Bay for some reason, you can walk over the knoll back to the store to call a driver, one actually lives right nearby. Probably $12pp taxi to LB...

Smuggler’s is a short drive on an unpaved road past Long Bay and it’s been awhile since I’ve driven t it but guessing 2 - 3 km...not sure if any drivers will take you and return for you...But our favorite gorgeous and uncrowded beach with decent snorkeling and probably Nigel selling cold beer and grilling...

You sound like us and I’ll vote for Smuggler’s. Let us know what you enjoyed!

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2019 at 5:27 PM, blue_water said:

Ok, unless you want to take the time to rent a Jeep and drive to Smuggler’s Cove, Brewers is your best option. Second most popular beach for cruisers, easy 8pp shared safari taxi with a beach bar, but still much less crowded than CGB and a nicer beach with snorkeling...

And for a less crowded beach and possibly some snorkeling, Long Bay, West End is a beautiful long, picture postcard beach actually pictured in several mags (as is Smuggler’s). LB should be less crowded, and unsure about snorkeling but I know it is rockier to the left and center as you face the water. Great views and diving pelicans here...There is a Tropical Fusion restaurant nearby that opens ~11, and you will see a small store as your taxi passes Sebastian’s restaurant and hotel before going over the knoll to LB. So in case you can’t get a taxi back from Long Bay for some reason, you can walk over the knoll back to the store to call a driver, one actually lives right nearby. Probably $12pp taxi to LB...

Smuggler’s is a short drive on an unpaved road past Long Bay and it’s been awhile since I’ve driven t it but guessing 2 - 3 km...not sure if any drivers will take you and return for you...But our favorite gorgeous and uncrowded beach with decent snorkeling and probably Nigel selling cold beer and grilling...

You sound like us and I’ll vote for Smuggler’s. Let us know what you enjoyed!

What is the shore break like at Brewers vs CGB? I feel like from the pics I’ve see of both, CGB looks calmer and almost no shore break waves and Brewers has a bit more of a shore break when entering the water? Or maybe it’s just the day someone goes and shares their pics. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 9:09 PM, Libbiroed said:

What is the shore break like at Brewers vs CGB? I feel like from the pics I’ve see of both, CGB looks calmer and almost no shore break waves and Brewers has a bit more of a shore break when entering the water? Or maybe it’s just the day someone goes and shares their pics. 

When we've been there, the water has been essentially the same at both beaches.  

All the beaches I mentioned are along the north shore and can be rough with any swells or wind, typically CGB and Brewers are calmer with a nice entry. We were not been able to enter the water at CGB while staying at Myett’s in May because it was so rough but other times it is like glass.

Josiah’s Bay just east of Brewers is popular with surfers and rougher yet. 

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

All the beaches I mentioned are along the north shore and can be rough with any swells or wind, typically CGB and Brewers are calmer with a nice entry. We were not been able to enter the water at CGB while staying at Myett’s in May because it was so rough but other times it is like glass.

Josiah’s Bay just east of Brewers is popular with surfers and rougher yet. 

We were also there during a swell, a few years ago in March.  Stayed in CGB at Lighthouse Villas, but went to both Brewers and Smugglers to check out the surf.  It was pretty much the same in all 3 places - too rough to enter.  Interestingly, we were able to go on a good snorkeling trip to the Indians, since it's to the south.  The other times we've been, all 3 beaches were calm and clear.  

Mettins, thanks for the beautiful pix of Smugglers.  I miss it!

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, TheMettins said:

We just returned... Smuggler's Cove was fabulous!  Great snorkeling & not crowded one bit!20190926_122722.thumb.jpg.648143a19cffd221f9461c3100c371fe.jpg20190926_122249.thumb.jpg.498c9a133b93d5f1d315c2472eba1af7.jpg20190926_122427.thumb.jpg.c30e9f1e117d16aa30d000d071111d03.jpg

Can you please tell me the cost and amount of time it takes to get there via taxi?  Also, if there was an issue with the driver coming back to get you or if there were taxis there?  Thanks so much

11 minutes ago, Jules Vacations said:

Can you please tell me the cost and amount of time it takes to get there via taxi?  Also, if there was an issue with the driver coming back to get you or if there were taxis there?  Thanks so much

Roughly 35 minutes- the driver stayed w/ us for the day... $28.00pp.  Please note, we had to wait till his van was full before leaving the port- we were one of the first off the ship and waited aprox. 30 minutes till more passengers came off and wanted to go to Smuggler's Cove. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheMettins said:

Roughly 35 minutes- the driver stayed w/ us for the day... $28.00pp.  Please note, we had to wait till his van was full before leaving the port- we were one of the first off the ship and waited aprox. 30 minutes till more passengers came off and wanted to go to Smuggler's Cove. 

Thank you so so much.  Our cruise just changed ports 2 days prior to cruising and this helps me immensely! 

That was unusual for the driver to stay with you there for just $28/pp! Round trip taxi there is at least $24/pp...How many went to SC with this driver? Lucky day that! Usually you need to rent a SUV to enjoy Smuggler's...

And there are still no facilities (hopefully) at Smuggler's, correct TheMettins?  Nigel and possibly Patricia are there selling food and drink, and last we knew the portapotty had been removed. 

9 hours ago, blue_water said:

That was unusual for the driver to stay with you there for just $28/pp! Round trip taxi there is at least $24/pp...How many went to SC with this driver? Lucky day that! Usually you need to rent a SUV to enjoy Smuggler's...

And there are still no facilities (hopefully) at Smuggler's, correct TheMettins?  Nigel and possibly Patricia are there selling food and drink, and last we knew the portapotty had been removed. 

There were maybe 6 others, but 2 weren't happy w/ SC, so the driver had to call another taxi to come get them.  Nigel wasn't there (we arrived the day after the port was closed thanks to TS Karen) but his shack was... noticed a sign for Pamela or Patricia, but never saw another stand or local.  Our driver was a sweet old man, wish I remembered his name... he also took us to Sebastian's for drinks on our way back to port.  Never noticed a porta potty, but I wasn't looking.20190926_122922.thumb.jpg.ec76b75f91a6d6c8b1b8848d4eb6a1d4.jpg20190926_121341.thumb.jpg.8115e4eda9913dd424a0a9ebc258ad05.jpg20190926_121704.thumb.jpg.e3e2e50ee4c19efe0029fbfe9587b425.jpg

Thanks for the details. I can't imagine being unhappy with Smuggler's, but some folks are more comfortable with real facilities and with restrooms. Patricia and Nigel were removed a few years ago (no vendor license) but are back. Nigel sells drinks and had a grill, but Patricia makes THE BEST frozen drinks, THE Cheeseburger in Paradise, BBQ chicken, and potato salad. Amazing what she can do there!

Yes when we stay on Tortola the waterfront table at Sebastian's is "our table"...the most amazing waterfront sunsets there!

27 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Thanks for the details. I can't imagine being unhappy with Smuggler's, but some folks are more comfortable with real facilities and with restrooms. Patricia and Nigel were removed a few years ago (no vendor license) but are back. Nigel sells drinks and had a grill, but Patricia makes THE BEST frozen drinks, THE Cheeseburger in Paradise, BBQ chicken, and potato salad. Amazing what she can do there!

Yes when we stay on Tortola the waterfront table at Sebastian's is "our table"...the most amazing waterfront sunsets there!

SC was exactly what we were hoping for!  Our next cruise in January goes to Virgin Gorda, any advice for a similar day there?20191114_093520.thumb.jpg.f3ee59aa4bcb514b66954fa48ecac4c0.jpg

23 hours ago, Jules Vacations said:

I'm departing tomorrow.  Ship made last minute itinerary change.  If for some reason we cant get to Secret Harbour, what would be the next best, beautiful, calm water beach?

Secret Harbor is on St Thomas, did you mean Smuggler's Cove? I would highly recommend Brewers Bay. Brewers is one of the most gorgeous beaches in the VI's and has that old Carib feel. Nicole's beach bar serves food and drinks and has a restroom.

Cane Garden Bay is also beautiful, just a much larger bay where the majority of your fellow cruisers will go. 

Taxi is just $8/pp each way to both beaches and taxis will be there to return you to your ship. So whatever vibe sounds good to you! If you go to Smuggler's the best options are renting a SUV or getting a private driver such as A.C.'s Taxi or a driver who will stay with you but that is rare.

If you ARE talking about St Thomas our first beach choice would be Sapphire...

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...

Thank all of you for this wonderful information.  I really want to go to SC but I was wondering what sort of a walk we would have to actually get to the beach from where the parking lot/taxi would drop us off.  And then, info about the walk to the beach of Brewers or Long Bay would also be appreciated.  

Also, didn't I read somewhere that there are lounge chairs for rent at SC at Nigel's?

TIA

8 hours ago, ladyhawke1001 said:

Thank all of you for this wonderful information.  I really want to go to SC but I was wondering what sort of a walk we would have to actually get to the beach from where the parking lot/taxi would drop us off.  And then, info about the walk to the beach of Brewers or Long Bay would also be appreciated.  

Also, didn't I read somewhere that there are lounge chairs for rent at SC at Nigel's?

TIA

Nigel's wasn't open the day we were there, so IDK about chair rentals.  Our taxi parked a few steps from the beach- hardly any walking was involved.  I can't help w/ LB or Brewers, sorry.