Cruise Critic Community
thunter1224

Illumination Cruise in Budapest ?

I was wondering if they were still doing the Illumination Cruise in Budapest ?  I found out that the Budapest government had lifted the ban .. and some cruise lines were still not doing it after the accident that happened .. I contacted AMAWaterways .. and they will be doing it.  but just earlier in the evening.. as for now anyway .   

Good news about AMA.   We are on the AMALea 8/16.  Was looking forward to the illumination cruise, but our documents indicated they would not be doing one.   Since receiving the docs, the government has lifted the ban.   I really hope we can do this. 

I am scheduled to sail on Ama Lea September 13 from Budapest. I received my itinerary yesterday and Illuminations has been cancelled. I called my travel agent who called Ama and they confirmed that all Illuminations cruises for Budapest have been suspended indefinitely. Ama will reimburse l/provide credit for cancelled excursion. Too bad.

2 hours ago, dr.jholden said:

I am scheduled to sail on Ama Lea September 13 from Budapest. I received my itinerary yesterday and Illuminations has been cancelled. I called my travel agent who called Ama and they confirmed that all Illuminations cruises for Budapest have been suspended indefinitely. Ama will reimburse l/provide credit for cancelled excursion. Too bad.

As long as you are overnighting in Budapest you can do it on a local excursion boat. I can’t fault the crew if they don’t want to take a larger “hotel ship” out to do the trip in somewhat congested waters. (And the call is either theirs or head office’s.)

Posted (edited)

I agree. I suspect this is a way of easing into a permanent cancellation of these cruises by AMA.

Edited by dr.jholden

When you guys get back, can you post whether it the illuminations cruise was really canceled or if AMA was listing it as canceled as a precautionary action? If it is really canceled, I would like to know so I can try to make arrangements on my own.

We were on the Amalea last week and did not do an evening Illumination sail. We sailed past the buildings during the day on our way out of Budapest.We sat out on the top deck and enjoyed the evening but I bet the Illumination cruise would have been wonderful to see. I would have taken a nighttime cruise on a smaller boat before boarding but we were so tired after long flights, we just couldn't make it.

Maybe next time.  

On 8/10/2019 at 1:38 PM, gnome12 said:

As long as you are overnighting in Budapest you can do it on a local excursion boat. I can’t fault the crew if they don’t want to take a larger “hotel ship” out to do the trip in somewhat congested waters. (And the call is either theirs or head office’s.)

Yes, there are other opportunities for an illumination cruise should your ship cancel. We booked with Legenda - wonderful illumination cruise with dinner. You can opt for illumination cruise without dinner. Very centrally located docking and easy to find.

https://legenda.hu/en