Drivers license to ride jet ski

Was reading the conditions for booking a jet ski in Labadee that the driver must show their drivers license.  My kids will have turned 16 when we cruise.  They will have their beginners drivers license by then which, here in Ontario, Canada, allows them to drive only when a fully licensed driver is in the car with them (a G1 license).  Would this license be enough for them to drive a jet ski?

5 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

Was reading the conditions for booking a jet ski in Labadee that the driver must show their drivers license.  My kids will have turned 16 when we cruise.  They will have their beginners drivers license by then which, here in Ontario, Canada, allows them to drive only when a fully licensed driver is in the car with them (a G1 license).  Would this license be enough for them to drive a jet ski?

In the States, kids get a permit and then a drivers license, they would not accept a permit on the jet ski excursion in our experience.  

14 minutes ago, spookwife said:

based on your description, a G1 is the same as a permit.    what age requirements do they list?   

G1 is 16yo and up. Must drive with a fully licensed driver.  Written test only.

tbh I doubt that they would catch it as the actual licence looks identical to a full licence and the only difference is small print that states G1, G2 or G

Edited by Ourusualbeach

11 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

In the States, kids get a permit and then a drivers license, they would not accept a permit on the jet ski excursion in our experience.  

Not true for all states.  Fl you get a learners permit at 15 to practice driving.  At 16 you get a intermediate License which has restrictions which I believe is the same as what the poster is asking.  If the drivers license says drivers license, than I would believe it is fine.  A learners permit says learners permit.  The purpose of the license is to prove you know the rules of the road, which is similar as boating.  Know when to stop, go slow, follow directions and signs and understand what the accelartor is and the importance of stopping.  So a person with a restricted license should know all these things. 

We have done the jet skis in Labadee 7  times over the years----- starting when our DD was 16  (US resident, Ohio)

The first couple times they asked to see her drivers license, and of course, the first time --she left it on the ship........

The DH ran back to get it and made it in record time so we would not lose our time slot.

They asked for it a couple years in a row.

When she was 23, that was the first time she did not get asked for it, we had it on us......

This past July, they did not ask for it.

She's old....................24  🙂

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

G1 is 16yo and up. Must drive with a fully licensed driver.  Written test only.

tbh I doubt that they would catch it as the actual licence looks identical to a full licence and the only difference is small print that states G1, G2 or G

Actually I meant the jet ski age minimum.  If it’s 18+ to operate one alone, it’s a moot point regarding their license

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Not true for all states.  Fl you get a learners permit at 15 to practice driving.  At 16 you get a intermediate License which has restrictions which I believe is the same as what the poster is asking.  If the drivers license says drivers license, than I would believe it is fine.  A learners permit says learners permit.  The purpose of the license is to prove you know the rules of the road, which is similar as boating.  Know when to stop, go slow, follow directions and signs and understand what the accelartor is and the importance of stopping.  So a person with a restricted license should know all these things. 

Georgia's the same. You can get a learner's permit starting at 15, and then after 40 hours of driving with a class C (fully licensed) driver, a 40-hour state-certified driver's ed course, and the written and driving exams, you can get a class C Provisional license that you hold for a year that has all kinds of restrictions--no passengers, curfew, vehicle size restrictions, no rental cars, etc. After the year is up you can get your class C license. 

Funny thing is all these licenses look the same, except the learner's permit and class D's have big bold print across the top stating what they are. Oh and the state is also kind enough to put a red ring of death around your DL photo until you turn 21. Thanks Georgia, you're a real peach.

On topic: I would assume that RCI's tour operators would check the license and know the difference between the classes of license, the same way they have to with each of the different US states' licenses. It's a liability to them if someone gets hurt while your child is operating the jet ski without a fully-fledged driver's license. 

Edited by booplesnoople

On 8/8/2019 at 9:03 AM, spookwife said:

Actually I meant the jet ski age minimum.  If it’s 18+ to operate one alone, it’s a moot point regarding their license

Description says minimum age 16.  It also says must provide "full drivers license" but as a previous poster said, the visual appearances  of the G1 (beginner) license and the full license are similar.