Don't expect future cabin prices to fall

11 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

We have balcony with all perks included and $100 OBC for $859 and yes, it is the Breakaway on the 13th. I agree with you the rates you are seeing are also very good. 

That's a good price, and you likely have a higher balcony than I quoted, which was the minimum balcony level. 

But there are and will likely be late booking and last minute bargains out there for those not too picky about cabin choice, especially on standard 7 night or shorter Caribbean itineraries, outside of the summer months and holiday periods.

Edited by Mike_DeA

47 minutes ago, richg35 said:

It costs anywhere between $2500-$3000 to fly from NYC to Orlando for a family of 5. Four years ago we started driving instead.

I have three kids, so we can only vacation during school breaks. Travel during these periods is inherently expensive because demand is high, but this is still an incredible increase over just 10 years ago or so. Back in '06 or '07, my wife and I (pre-kids) flew to Orlando for something like $99 round trip each on Delta Song.

There are certainly deals to be found if you can travel last minute and are very flexible, but many people, especially families, don't fall into this bucket.

I guess it really depends on the airport you happen to be flying to. I don't book last-minute flights, they seem to always be more expensive.

We are flying non-stop Orlando to San Antonio Labor Day weekend, booked that one a few months out on Southwest for $250pp, round trip. It's still selling at that price at the time of this post actually.

The international flights I referenced in my example were booked about 6 months out. BUT they were on Norwegian and Thomas Cook. Had I have taken Delta, that price would have been doubled, if not more. 

Some people are "loyal" to an airline and won't shop around. Personally, I don't care, just get me where I want to go.

"Don't expect future cabin prices to fall"

Isn't that what experts said in early October, 1929 about stock market prices?

... and in early October, 1987, and 2007, and ... and ...

Lots of oil experts back in the first decade of this century said that the oil price would never go below $100 per barrel ever again.

And lots of experts said Trump would never win in 2016. Oops!

All the predictions about the future will turn out to be 99% wrong, ...I predict.😉

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

You know the old saying  "What goes up, must come down"

With so many mega ships going around, its bound to happen at some point.  However, people are cruising more than ever. Jut think, NCL has 3 ships (2 mega ones) currently sailing Alaska.  Have you seen the Alaskan prices?

I am waiting till the novelty of Alaska wears off to scratch it off my bucket list 😆

Having cruised Alaska and Glacier Bay, I don't think the novelty will ever wear off (at least not as long as we still have Glaciers).  It's simply stunning beauty, and relatively nearby for North American travellers.

Just saved $200 this morning thanks to a price drop on our 4/30 Hawaii to Vancouver cruise. I'm fairly vigilant about checking- not daily but maybe once a week. Our big box cash card remained the same which doesn't always happen with a lower fare.

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

"Don't expect future cabin prices to fall"

Isn't that what experts said in early October, 1929 about stock market prices?

... and in early October, 1987, and 2007, and ... and ...

Lots of oil experts back in the first decade of this century said that the oil price would never go below $100 per barrel ever again.

And lots of experts said Trump would never win in 2016. Oops!

All the predictions about the future will turn out to be 99% wrong, ...I predict.😉

Ironically I just saw this on LinkedIn. Quote from RCI CEO. I think he hit the nail on the head.

“When circumstances change, we are prepared to adapt. While no one is recession-proof, looking forward, I think the industry has features that make it recession resistant. The growing appeal of our product, the relative price attractiveness, the fixed cost component, the portability of our assets, et cetera; all of these things make us better able to do well even in bad times.” – Richard Fain

22 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Ironically I just saw this on LinkedIn. Quote from RCI CEO. I think he hit the nail on the head.

“When circumstances change, we are prepared to adapt. While no one is recession-proof, looking forward, I think the industry has features that make it recession resistant. The growing appeal of our product, the relative price attractiveness, the fixed cost component, the portability of our assets, et cetera; all of these things make us better able to do well even in bad times.” – Richard Fain

Technically he's right. If you have a recession in North America a cruise company can move it's assets to Europe or Asia unlike a Auto manufacturer, for example. However, if you have a world-wide recession, I'm not sure if they can move those assets to Mars just yet.😉

But of course, we'd never be so stupid as to get into a world-wide recession again, would we? 🙄

Oh, the last time the planet got into a trade and currency war was back in the 1930's. Didn't they call that decade the roaring 30's?

Edited by DirtyDawg

18 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Technically he's right. If you have a recession in North America a cruise company can move it's assets to Europe or Asia unlike a Auto manufacturer, for example. However, if you have a world-wide recession, I'm not sure if they can move those assets to Mars just yet.😉

But of course, we'd never be so stupid as to get into a world-wide recession again, would we? 🙄

Oh, the last time the planet got into a trade and currency war was back in the 1930's. Didn't they call that decade the roaring 30's?

A variable cost driver is the price of oil.  NCL and other lines were able to hedge, but the Iranians are tilting the current market.  Liquid NG might be more economical, but there are conversion costs and safety concerns.  CHENG might have some insights or thoughts.

Edited by Son of a son of a ...

13 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

What category did you book?

The Oct 13th Breakaway sailing is starting at $449pp inside Sailaway / $559 with one perk.  Balcony $649 Sailawy /$929 with all perks include (before gratuities).  I consider those to be on the cheap side.

September 7-day Alaska prices at $329 and $349. They've been talking about driving prices up for years. Stock price is flat. No dividends paid. And I'm ok with that. Cruising NCL has never been cheaper in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, blcruising said:

September 7-day Alaska prices at $329 and $349. They've been talking about driving prices up for years. Stock price is flat. No dividends paid. And I'm ok with that. Cruising NCL has never been cheaper in my opinion.

Never been cheaper? They've raised prices on fares, excursions, specialty dining, drinks, gratuities, you name it. End of the season Alaska cruises after labor day and school is back in isn't a good reflection of overall pricing. Cheap Alaska cruises on old ships can be found on Princess and every other line in September ...... Not sure how you could remotely say "never been cheaper" ......

• Like 1

Don't fall for all their fluff....specialty dining, alcohol, etc. Book your sailaway rate with onboard spend if zero. My 2019 cruises...Epic 11 day Caribbean Jan 2019...$549, Gem 7 day Bermuda May 2019, $299, Dawn 7 day Canada $299. 

I'll stand by what I wrote. Alaska sailings have been soft all season due to overcapacity in the market. Lots of deals to be had, if you can be flexible and turn a blind eye to promotions marketed as free.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

That's a good price, and you likely have a higher balcony than I quoted, which was the minimum balcony level. 

But there are and will likely be late booking and last minute bargains out there for those not too picky about cabin choice, especially on standard 7 night or shorter Caribbean itineraries, outside of the summer months and holiday periods.

Oh I agree for those who can just pick up and go and do not care what itinerary they get or what kind of cabin there will always be some deal out there somewhere. I don't think most of us question that. Of course the exception may be high season time like spring break. Otherwise like anything else there are always deals, but for people to think they can get just what the want and a steal by waiting till last minute, that isn't the case. I do remember a Princess cruise (repo) we took about 5 years ago. It was 12 days from Canada down to Ft Lauderdale,  a great itinerary and the last minute specials were running about $400 for an inside cabin. Of course no perks and it didn't count taxes or port charges.  It was still a great deal.  I am just talking as a general rule, you can not count on deals just because it is a few days or weeks prior to sailing date.