Sailing into Venice to END

mickey89

Ms Sharpe is another writer who has never been on a cruise ship to Venice, and not done her research.  Cruise ships have never sailed up the Grand Canal.  At least, not since the days of galleys...

I googled the terminals, and found a location ont he Marghera side for Fusina, but could not come up with anything for Lombardia.  Fusina is where the high speed ferries have been going for several years.  

enhance

Edited by Essiesmom

'Grand Canal' jumped out at me too.  Another travel forum I use has other references to this but they are by no means as definite as this article appears to infer.

I did note Fusina appears to be a container port, but if ferries travel there, then perhaps it has some infrastructure to support cruise passengers.  But if they prompt ferry traffic, and that means an increase of sailings, does that really help the damage by water?  It won't eliminate it, at least.

One also has to wonder what impact that is going to have linking to Marco Polo and people with existing flight tickets?

Certainly a change that needs doing, but I expect it will take some years to get into place, completed and settled.

It is not misleading nor is the other thread, cruise ships will be prevented from entering Venice lagoon, they will be prevented from sailing along the current route of the Guidecca Canal. The sensible alternative would be Trieste.

• Haha 1

How misleading? How do they plan to divert Cruise ships when there are no close ports ready to handle the traffic safely? Is not Safety the issue besides the perceived environmental impact?

As far as tourist impact on economy, per the articles, I live part year in Puerto Rico and I can tell you its impacts more in revenue than most really know. People who had businesses and livelihoods lost it not due to Maria but due to the lack of tourists. 

Our venice cruise is not till May 2020 by then this should be resolved I would think