Juneau transit?

Kosh III

The nearest public transit bus stop is a 1.5 mile walk to the visitor center along a relatively flat sidewalk with occasional glimpses of the glacier along the way. 

The public bus is much cheaper than other options, but it does require that walk in each direction.

• 1 month later...

Easy walk.  The bus leaves the Capital transport station near the top of each hour (grab a schedule from the visitor kiosk near the tram station.  There are two loops that take you to the Mendenhall drop off station and as noted the walk is an easy mile and a  half on flat terrain and well paved.  No restrooms until you get to the park and the bus takes about 50 minutes. The driver will announce your stop (follow the crowd).  Have exact change ($2 per person) and drop in the box by the driver.  Can be a bit crowded as a lot of locals use the bus to get around (also stops at the hospital and shopping center).  Returns are on the :30 past each hour (again you can catch going in either direction going back to the central station).  Be sure to check schedule if traveling on a holiday.  

There is only 1 view of Mendenhall on the 1.5 mile transit at the Ghost Forest.    Bus 3 and 4. As noted.   Try to be noisy.  I has 2 bears run right out in front of me last year.     For the “nicest “ option in my opinion is to do both Nugget Falls and Trail of Time trails.   The end of the Trail of Time.  If 2nd take the left spur-   Then left when you exit to the bus stop.  

When we went it 2011, I remember taking the public bus and being let off at the Mendenhall Glacier bus stop.  Right behind the stop was a raised, wooden, platform ramp that we walked on looking for bears and other wild life.  I remember seeing bear poop but no bears. lol.  We followed that path around and then took a flat path through trees and such to get to the glacier. When we were done touring, we went back to the bus stop and took the public bus back.  I remember other people who took tours offered on the street waiting there too to be picked up as well.

I see now you need to pay a $5 fee to use the bathrooms and bus stop which I have no problem with but  are we not able to take that path behind the bus stop anymore?  Do we now need to go to the Visitors Center first to access the trails?

5 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

When we went it 2011, I remember taking the public bus and being let off at the Mendenhall Glacier bus stop.  Right behind the stop was a raised, wooden, platform ramp that we walked on looking for bears and other wild life.  I remember seeing bear poop but no bears. lol.  We followed that path around and then took a flat path through trees and such to get to the glacier. When we were done touring, we went back to the bus stop and took the public bus back.  I remember other people who took tours offered on the street waiting there too to be picked up as well.

I see now you need to pay a $5 fee to use the bathrooms and bus stop which I have no problem with but  are we not able to take that path behind the bus stop anymore?  Do we now need to go to the Visitors Center first to access the trails?

You need to pay the fee when you enter the Visitor Center area and taking the Nugget Falls Trail.  It’s not clear what you did last time????   Was it the Trail of This Time??   Or did you also add the East Loop,  Nugget Creek???      

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

You need to pay the fee when you enter the Visitor Center area and taking the Nugget Falls Trail.  It’s not clear what you did last time????   Was it the Trail of This Time??   Or did you also add the East Loop,  Nugget Creek???      

We got off the bus and took the Steep Creek Trail which was behind the bus stop. You can see on the map below.  We walked around that way then passed the Visitors Center to Nugget Falls Trail

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd604841.pdf

Edited by disneylover89

If you go onto Google and log into the Juneau Transit System, you will see exactly where the bus stops. - the corner of Mendenhall Loop Road and Glacier Spur Road.    Using Google Maps, you can also see exactly how far it is from the bus stop to the Visitor Center.  

DON

6 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

We got off the bus and took the Steep Creek Trail which was behind the bus stop. You can see on the map below.  We walked around that way then passed the Visitors Center to Nugget Falls Trail

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd604841.pdf

This is NOT the Juneau transit Public Bus.  You were on a Shuttle bus operated by a private vendor.  Their fees include park admission. Take a look at Don’s map.   

8 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

This is NOT the Juneau transit Public Bus.  You were on a Shuttle bus operated by a private vendor.  Their fees include park admission. Take a look at Don’s map.   

OK, you are right.  I researched back and this is what we did.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/1362618-mendenhall-glacier-bus-service/

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, chatdad said:

Easy walk.  The bus leaves the Capital transport station near the top of each hour (grab a schedule from the visitor kiosk near the tram station.  There are two loops that take you to the Mendenhall drop off station and as noted the walk is an easy mile and a  half on flat terrain and well paved.  No restrooms until you get to the park and the bus takes about 50 minutes. The driver will announce your stop (follow the crowd).  Have exact change ($2 per person) and drop in the box by the driver.  Can be a bit crowded as a lot of locals use the bus to get around (also stops at the hospital and shopping center).  Returns are on the :30 past each hour (again you can catch going in either direction going back to the central station).  Be sure to check schedule if traveling on a holiday.  

If you take the public bus do you pay to get into the park?

On 9/22/2019 at 8:28 AM, christinand said:

Is there a public bus that goes to alaska state museum?

It's an easy walk to the Alaska State Museum from the area that the cruise ships dock. If you get tired you can stop at the "Hanger on the Wharf" https://www.hangaronthewharf.com/ and have a adult beverage or two. The float planes come and go from the float outside, kind of interesting to watch.

If you have a senior citizens National Park pass you and your 3 best friends don't have to pay to get into the Mendenhall Glacier area.  

Just remember, yes, the walk from the public bus stop is an "Easy" 1.5 miles walk but don't forget that if you walk to the glacier and back via Nugget Falls Trails that is another 1.5 miles and then another 1.5 miles back to the bus stop.  If you walk  any of the other trails in addition, more walking mileage is added.  For some people, this is not a problem but for others the accumulative total is a lot and not as "easy" as some people make it sound