Cruise ships banned from Venice

uconnWBB

From what I have read the number of ships will be reduced for now while a solution (probably a new terminal on the mainland) is worked out. I hope your November cruise will not be affected. It's a shame but I'm surprised this didn't happen years ago. It looks like Dubrovnik is considering limiting the size and quantity of cruise ships also.

I read the same thing on MSN. What I understand is that they are going to reduce the number of ships allowed to go into the lagoon starting in 2020. Probably another pier somewhere nearby on the mainland. Which means that if you want to see Venice, you will have to find some other way to make it over to the city. By the time it happens, they will have figured it out I'm sure. But, I think you are safe for your November cruise.

• Like 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7335651/Cruise-ships-finally-banned-Venice-following-decades-long-battle.html

Also an entrance fee will be charged to all tourists entering Venice. I was already starting to look for flights into Venice for next summer as we were planning on doing the Greek Islands from Venice on the Dawn. I guess will see what port Norwegian will be using going forward.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49276730

A somewhat more accurate and certainly less dramatic report from the BBC.

There are substantial dockside mooring places in Fusina, including a RoRo ferry port, but absolutely no other infrastructure or buildings to use for large passenger ships. Fusina is south of the city on the mainland and has good connections with Mestre and a huge car parking area.  It is probable that any cruise passengers wanting to visit Venice would have to use water transport that will need to be substantially enhanced.  Not the sort of change for which the Italians are renowned, so it is highly likely that this latest attempt to move away from Santa Croce may well be "delayed" by those Venetians who make all of their fortunes from  the cruise ships.

22 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Even less accurate slovenly careless reporting.  Cruise ships do not go down the Grand Canal - even the lifeboats are too big to go under the Rialto Bridge on it!  And showing a picture of what is this very historic narrow waterway and hinting that this is where the cruise ships pass is typical of this sort of careless sensasionalist reporting that has invaded our media.

What the industry has been trying to do is still use Santa Croce but use a newly dredged channel to the south to avoid having to use the Giudecca Canal to get to the sea.  The problem with that is that the environmental lobby can't agree where to put the dredging waste without damaging the lagoon.

Am I the only one who thinks Venice is way way overrated anyway? If they ban cruise ships that just means many thousands of people won't have to pay for dramatically overpriced food or battle crowds to see a historic tower that isn't all that historic. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They don't want me I don't need to go there. The Venetian in Las Vegas works for me. I get having tourists behave, but making me feel unwelcome is bad business. NCL should consider an alternative port.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nola26 said:

They don't want me I don't need to go there. The Venetian in Las Vegas works for me. I get having tourists behave, but making me feel unwelcome is bad business. NCL should consider an alternative port.

I traveled to Venice by train and found the city to be very warm and inviting.  Let's face it when you show up with 3,000 of your closest friends into a city that has only 200k residents, it is overwhelming.

Slightly off topic but very relevant:  I was at Atlantis for vacation (non cruise).  We had a great time until the cruise ship docked.  That day was the worst day ever!  We had a better day in the rain than we did at the pool with the cruise ship.

Edited by Shoppie124

Absolutely necessary in my opinion.

Venice is a beautiful and very old city.  Cruise ships do not belong there.

And to “old nutter”, I think they get many, many tourists who are not on cruise ships, the Venetians will still make money! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Deeliteful said:

And to “old nutter”, I think they get many, many tourists who are not on cruise ships, the Venetians will still make money! 😂

You are probably right because they used to get by before the big ships came in.  But in Italy it often depends who has got their hands in whose pockets and the last time they tried to do something like this it got reversed along the way pretty smartly.

8 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

The cruise ships are there by invitation! Don't invite me to your home, then complain when I show up and try to implement a cover charge. There are so many beautiful old cities in Europe, next city up.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, fastpitchdad said:

Am I the only one who thinks Venice is way way overrated anyway? If they ban cruise ships that just means many thousands of people won't have to pay for dramatically overpriced food or battle crowds to see a historic tower that isn't all that historic. 

The wife and I don't go there for food or a tower that is not historic. We go there to see hundreds of years old architecture, enjoy just walking around a city with no cars or bikes or crap and just slowdown. We have some hidden gems for dining and often times make our way to the part of the city most tourists don't go to.

I'd rather spend two days in Venice doing nothing than running around Disneyland for two days.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 7:08 PM, fastpitchdad said:

I’m with you. I spent 2 nights there, and that was plenty. I saw everything and enjoyed it just fine, but I see no reason to ever return. I’ve traveled all over Italy, and it’s not very near the top of my favorite places. 

On 8/8/2019 at 7:08 PM, fastpitchdad said:

Am I the only one who thinks Venice is way way overrated anyway?

My guess is "yes."

You can't know anything about the history of that city, the romance of its evolution, and to know how precious it is to the people of Italy and still think it's "over rated" unless you vacation for no other reason than the tactile, self indulgent exposure to a place with no more concern about its existence than getting your money's worth out of it.

If that's true for you, that's so typically American.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

I don't think it is a matter of nationality - it is a matter of vacation preference.  Folks cruise because they want to sample, not stay.  Cruising is not for people who wish to immerse themselves in the local culture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

My guess is "yes."

You can't know anything about the history of that city, the romance of its evolution, and to know how precious it is to the people of Italy and still think it's "over rated" unless you vacation for no other reason than the tactile, self indulgent exposure to a place with no more concern about its existence than getting your money's worth out of it.

I know all about its history thank you and I would almost guarantee that I have traveled the world more than you. There are much more interesting places interesting places to go than Venice. If they don't want tourists in their already polluted waters then so be it. Interesting that it is so precious to the people of Italy since it wasn't even part of Italy until the late 19th century. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

I know all about its history thank you and I would almost guarantee that I have traveled the world more than you. There are much more interesting places interesting places to go than Venice. If they don't want tourists in their already polluted waters then so be it. Interesting that it is so precious to the people of Italy since it wasn't even part of Italy until the late 19th century. 

Knowing your history then you would appreciate that Venice could not have been a part of Italy before the 19th Century because there was no Italy before Victor Emmanuel unified it in the 19th Century.  Until that happened Venice was a separate major Mediteranean state.  They were a very important maritime force since the 4th century until unification, so having them in the modern-ish Italy is very significant both to locals and wider Italian citizens.

I agree that there are lots of other interesting places in this world , but Venice is unique and it is likely that it will be on most people's bucket lists simply because there are very few places on earth that can still claim to be truly unique.