Changing non-refundable to refundable?

iceleven

I've cruised Princess for years but never came across this situation. Currently many of the cruises in the Caribbean are non-refundable offerings. I believe the sale is going till mid-August. I have chosen a cruise and a cabin I want but I don't want an non-refundable booking. I'm willing to pay the extra but my TA is on vacation and her back-up isn't giving me much help. I have two questions:

1 - can a TA book this cruise for me at a refundable rate (I'm pretty sure this is possible but I'm asking for a confirmation)

2 - If I were to buy travel insurance (which I always buy anyway) that states "cancellation for any reason", could this be an option instead of waiting for the price to go up.

I have a specific cabin I want to book and it is the only one remaining in that particular category and that is what is causing this dilemma.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

I am not a Princess expert, but one of our members (Idaho Spud) who is a travel agent informed the forum that, Yes, there were in fact FOUR codes the last several promos could be booked under: Promo Refundable, Promo NRD, No-Promo Refundable, No-Promo NRD -- from most expensive to least.

Cancellation for any reason protection is usually not 100% of your out-lay. So consider your risk vs. the amount that the Promo Refundable is over the NRD...

59 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Call Princess and book it with the refundable code, then transfer it to your TA later (but not too much later 😉).

This form shows the 60 day limit to transfer a booking & it must be done before final payment.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwcmluY2Vzc2NydWlzZXNmYXF8Z3g6MzNmYTU1OWQxOWRlMDNhMA

• Like 1

Are you looking at the Landmark Sale or something else? The Landmark Sale does have a refundable deposit option. It'll take a TA or a call to Princess to get it. 

The Sun Drenched Deals technically doesn't have a non refundable option but you can book under the North American Standard Fares and it IS refundable.  Again, it requires a TA or call to Princess. 

Edited by idahospud
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Are you looking at the Landmark Sale or something else? The Landmark Sale does have a refundable deposit option. It'll take a TA or a call to Princess to get it. 

The Sun Drenched Deals technically doesn't have a non refundable option but you can book under the North American Standard Fares and it IS refundable.  Again, it requires a TA or call to Princess. 

Actually no, it is a "special resident offer" which I find quite odd because that offer is available to everyone, not just those in my state. I checked the sailing while signed in and also while not signed in.

I'll just book with Princess rep and then transfer back to my TA when she returns from vacation. Do I need to tell the Princess rep that I will be transferring the booking when I am doing the booking with her?

4 hours ago, iceleven said:

Actually no, it is a "special resident offer" which I find quite odd because that offer is available to everyone, not just those in my state. I checked the sailing while signed in and also while not signed in.

I'll just book with Princess rep and then transfer back to my TA when she returns from vacation. Do I need to tell the Princess rep that I will be transferring the booking when I am doing the booking with her?

Sometimes resident specials are for certain regions and aren't out there for everyone. For example, here in Idaho we probably aren't getting your resident rate for a Caribbean cruise but we might get it for a Mexico cruise. 

You don't necessarily need to tell the rep about transferring, unless you want to. Princess will require you to fill out a form to transfer your booking. Your TA or Princess can get that to you. 

Edited by idahospud
  • Thanks 1