Time Change?

Which ports are you going to? Any overnight?

For the most part ship time is the same time zone as the ship's home  port where you first  embark. But it is up to the Captain if he/she feels  there's a  need to change to port time. Usually  will occur  on an overnight  stay like in Bermuda. The Captain will announce this and the announcement will be  in the daily schedule.  

Always  keep your watch set on ship time regardless  of the local  port time.  Turn off the automatic  time zone change on your smartphone. 

We will be visiting Roatan, Cozumel and Costa Maya.  We have been on many cruises and many lines.  We have visited these ports quite often but have never taken note of the ships that change times.  This time and excursion time may or may not work depending on the time.

Last month we sailed Majesty to Costa Maya and Cozumel, with 2 full days at sea, at the beginning and end. First day at sea (day 2) the ship was on Mexico/central time and for the last day at sea (day 5) we were back on Eastern. 

5 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

We will be on the Symphony in October.  Does anyone know for sure if they will change to island time?

Captain's choice, can vary cruise to cruise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

Last month we sailed Majesty to Costa Maya and Cozumel, with 2 full days at sea, at the beginning and end. First day at sea (day 2) the ship was on Mexico/central time and for the last day at sea (day 5) we were back on Eastern. 

Both Cozumel and Costa Maya are on Eastern Standard Time year round.  That is the same as Central Daylight Savings.  I can see with that itinerary the captain making the decision to shift time as the ship was in effect in Mexican waters overnight and it doesn't take 13 hours to go from CM to Coz.

I was on Symphony this year when the time changed to Daylight Savings Time.  

It should be noted that Roatan does NOT observe Daylight Savings Time, so the ship time (which had been Eastern Standard when we boarded and then changed to Eastern Daylight during the cruise) and the local time were two hours apart from each other -- Eastern Daylight on ship and Central Standard on Roatan.  

On 8/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, crewsweeper said:

Both Cozumel and Costa Maya are on Eastern Standard Time year round.  That is the same as Central Daylight Savings.  I can see with that itinerary the captain making the decision to shift time as the ship was in effect in Mexican waters overnight and it doesn't take 13 hours to go from CM to Coz.

I just looked on the time zone converter and it looks like we will be one hour ahead in Cozumel and Costa Maya.  We will be 2 hours ahead in Roatan.   

I was on a B2B that both went to Cozumel. The first leg stayed on ship time and the 2nd changed to Coz time.  The captain will make clear announcements before releasing passengers to the port as to which times to observe. 

On 8/11/2019 at 6:07 PM, biomedbob said:

Stick with Carnival.....they don't screw with the clock like RCCL.

True, NCL also stuck to clock couple sailings I did. But actually most my Cruises Royal works good for me, 4-5 Cruises a yr the Clock falls back an hr on my last nite. Like sleep extra hr before long day at Airports. But as you said Royal times change, all the time. Royal Cruises Main Dining time changes at least one Cruise a yr my paperwork says one time and actual time is off 30minutes, even had my Card say 5:30 and was 6pm for one sailing....

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 8/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, Host Clarea said:

Captain's choice, can vary cruise to cruise.

it sure is and sometime it makes little sense to the passenger, just make sure you us "Ships Time" so as not to be one of oh to late pier runners.