Nervous about this cruise!

CozGurl

We booked a 5 night on the Valor out of NOLA next month. We just needed a quick cheap getaway. To add to the frugality of the cruise (so we can spend more on our 11 night in January lol) I booked our first ever non balcony cruise. I love my balcony but thought for 5 nights I could get by with a window only and save $200.

We also are not purchasing the booze package for the first time ever for the hub. I just can't drink that much in that short amount of time. I called Carnival hoping I could talk them into letting me purchase it just for him but that was a no go. Pray for us that our bar bill doesn't break the bank! 

Should I quit being cheap and get my balcony and booze package? I thought it would be interesting to see how this all goes but the closer it gets to leaving the more nervous I get! 🤨

1 minute ago, CozGurl said:

We booked a 5 night on the Valor out of NOLA next month. We just needed a quick cheap getaway. To add to the frugality of the cruise (so we can spend more on our 11 night in January lol) I booked our first ever non balcony cruise. I love my balcony but thought for 5 nights I could get by with a window only and save $200.

We also are not purchasing the booze package for the first time ever for the hub. I just can't drink that much in that short amount of time. I called Carnival hoping I could talk them into letting me purchase it just for him but that was a no go. Pray for us that our bar bill doesn't break the bank! 

Should I quit being cheap and get my balcony and booze package? I thought it would be interesting to see how this all goes but the closer it gets to leaving the more nervous I get! 🤨

I agree it's only 5 days and if you are not as happy as you should be then the 11 day will be even sweeter. Spend as much time as you can enjoying the ship instead of the balcony.  I wouldn't get Cheers for me either. Make sure to bring on good wine if you are a wine drinker. Embarkation day is short anyway and there are usually some drink deals to be had. There's at least one port day, right? Drink it up on that day/those days.

Have fun and don't worry - you are still on a ship!

• Like 1

We took a last minute cruise one time and had to take an interior cabin.  I was really nervous about it, but it turned out fine - we just ended up spending more time out on deck.

Can't help with the bar package - neither DH nor I drink enough to make it worthwhile.

• Like 2

Don't be nervous.  You'll have a great time.  You'll have stories to tell about your different cabin experience and how it changed the way you enjoyed the ship.

Opting to decline Cheers! will now be a challenge to keep that bar tab under control - another story to come home with.

Because you're doing things differently than you have in the past, it might just seem like your "first time".  Enjoy it!  If you don't, you'll know to go back to the old standard.  :classic_smile:

• Like 2

Thanks all! I've been studying that thread about drink specials and taking notes! I'll be fine with a couple of bottles of wine and some bar cocktails, but the hub really loves his cocktails on vacation. I figure if the bar tab is less than $600 we came out ahead 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CozGurl said:

Thanks all! I've been studying that thread about drink specials and taking notes! I'll be fine with a couple of bottles of wine and some bar cocktails, but the hub really loves his cocktails on vacation. I figure if the bar tab is less than $600 we came out ahead 🤣

Don't forget the upcharge for making it a double (most bars on the ship can offer this) is less than purchasing two separate drinks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CozGurl said:

Sometimes when I have a balcony I never get out and see the ship...take this as your opportunity to get out of the room and explore!  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CozGurl said:

If you aren't drinking much then you should definitely come out ahead, especially if you watch for the drink specials.
We have only cruised balcony, but our cruisin buddies only cruise inside.
Just like being able to go out on the balcony and watch the water, or sit there sipping my coffee/wine/tea/etc. while I read a book without having to worry that getting up to use the bathroom will compromise my spot.

• Like 1

You can always buy a liter from room service and make drinks to go from your cabin for about $100 for the whole cruise.  The liter makes about 25 single shot drinks.  Add in a cocktail here and there for the fruity ones and your bar tab would be about $175.  just an idea but I don't know what your hubby drinks - most guys I know drink jack, captain, vodka etc with a simple mixer so the room bottle would make sense if not ordering cheers.  good luck

• Like 1

I think a shorter cruise is a perfect time to try an inside and also to pass on the cheers program.  You might be surprised at how much money you save on drinks by buying them as you go along.  You can check every day to see your accumulative tab so there will be no surprises. 

We have sailed on both inside and balcony cabins.  You can find many places on the ship where you can enjoy looking at the ocean away from the crowds.  You may not have noticed as much when you had a balcony.  We found that when we booked insides, we were more likely to look for those out of the way quieter places.  Happy sailing!

• Like 1

For a shorter cruise the cheers package makes more sense as people sometime tend to drink more in a shorter amount of time. If you enjoy 2 drinks a day and your husband drinks 6-7 drinks there is your $100 (I know depends on the drinks). Now add in coffee, soda and water and your ahead of the game. Do as you please and we will pray your husband can taper the drinking so you come out ahead.

Also if you are able to get gift cards from allstate you save 10% making a day of drinking $110.43 instead of $122.70 (thats with the 18% gratuity they add). 

• Like 2

We did the same as you last year.  Just needed a cheap getaway and booked a GTY Inside.  Cabin location was fine but we hated being in an Inside (had previously only done OV/Balcony).  My mom and I both felt like we were sardines and it was claustrophobic.

This year's quick trip is back to a balcony!  Money well-spent in my opinion.

• Like 2

Without cheers and having an interior vs balcony, you will likely be saving $1000 up front costs. Same boat, same food, same ports, same entertainment. That's almost enough saved to do a second vacation.

I like cocktails too. We just aren't going to drink 50-60+ of them in 5 nights. Bring wine, buy a bottle, buy a few cocktails. Plenty of alcohol, less than half of the price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We don't drink soda, coffee or anything else on the drinks package - just the booze. I can't drink every day. Every other day at most. He'll drink everyday but I don't think he'll drink as much as he thinks he does. That's another reason to not get the package, to really see what the cost is.

No can do an inside room. I must have at least a window. I'm not super claustrophobic but enough that not seeing outside would make me nuts! If they call to offer a cheap enough balcony upsell, we might do that but I'm not sure what that offer usually is. 

If I get the drink package, I start the day with my first beverage and keep the cocktail napkin that comes with it.  I write cost of the drink and keep doing that all day.  At the end of the day I add them up.  I always make sure I have made a "profit" on the Cheers package before going to bed.  There have been a couple of hairy moments when I realized I needed three more drinks before bed.  But, I am going to make sure that no matter what, I win.   😎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Without cheers and having an interior vs balcony, you will likely be saving $1000 up front costs. Same boat, same food, same ports, same entertainment. That's almost enough saved to do a second vacation.

I like cocktails too. We just aren't going to drink 50-60+ of them in 5 nights. Bring wine, buy a bottle, buy a few cocktails. Plenty of alcohol, less than half of the price.

You don't have to drink 50-60, you only have to drink 25-30

• Like 1

It's good to change things up a bit.  Who knows?  You might actually prefer the interior.  One of my kids' family does--they like the total darkness for sleeping.  

We need to stay on budget next summer so we are all going to be in interiors.  I want to take the kids/grands all to the turtle farm in Grand Cayman and it gets a little pricey for eleven. Figure it can't be that big a sacrifice to not have a view for a few hours a day which will mostly be spent sleeping and getting ready 😁

• Like 1

I think you will be fine. Agree that you should order a bottle and mixers for the room. 

Ocean view seems like a good compromise.  My hubby would be fine with interiors but I can’t stand it. I find I don’t spend anytime in an interior cabin.  While I prefer a balcony, if I have a window, life is good.  

Enjoy, and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1