How do you take the tedium out of packing?

SempreMare

I know I'm weird, but enjoy the packing process. It's part of my anticipating the cruise.

I usually begin by updating my packing list not long after I book a cruise. I give thought to any items that need to be changed, or new selections made. Depending upon the kind of course (warm or cold weather) I'll vary what I bright for daytime and shore excursion wear.

For example, on my January 2020 cruise I'll be in the Caribbean.  I no longer have any shorts that I would wear on a cruise, so I'm looking on Amazon.com for a couple pair of shorts I can take with me.  Ditto for casual shirts. I've got plenty of good-condition slacks and polos and button-down shirts for evening wear.  I'll need to get a new white dress shirt (I never wear them and the one I wore on my last cruise is too yellowed) and I MAY buy a new suit or a slacks/jacket separate for this cruse (I've not bought a new suit in several years).  I'm looking at sandals (I don't have any), and perhaps a light weight hat to shield my balding head on shore excurisons.

My list is categorized into sections:  (1) Dress-up wear, (2) smart-casual evening wear, (3) daytime wear, (4) shore excursion wear, (5) swim/active wear, (6) worn in-transit and pre/post cruise.  I usually plan on wearing in-transit a suit jacket in order to get it to the cruise without having to pack it.  Ditto for a pair of jeans (always heavier than slacks).  Since I'll be traveling in January, wearing jacket and jeans solves to problem about what to do about cold weather in Dallas (for the very short time I'll be outside).

Without fail, I take:

5 pair of underwear (not counting the pair I'm wearing in-transit)

5 pair of socks (not counting the pair I'm wearing in-transit)

2 polo shirts (not counting the one I'm wearing in-transit)

2 smart-casual evening shirts

1 dress shirt, 2 or 3 ties (depending on how many Gala nights ... they don't weigh much)

1 white t-shirt (for wearing under dress shirt)

1 pair of dress slacks

1 pair of casual dockers

1 dress jacket (worn in-transit)

1 pair of jeans (worn in-transit)

1 pair of casual shoes and 1 pair sneakers ( I usually wear my dress shoes in-transit along with my belt.)

Sandals for Half-Moon Cay

swim suit

1 active-wear / lounge-about-the-cabin type shorts

2 casual outer-wear t-shirts

1 or 2 pair nice walking shorts (depending upon weather of cruise)

Toiletries

Charger and usb cables for iPhone and iPad

if it's a cold-weather cruise I would ditch the walking shorts and add another pair of jeans or dockers

For Alaska or the polar regions I'd also add a cold-weather coat and ditch anything to do with swimming or beaches

• Like 2

I'm leaving tomorrow for Seattle, and Monday I board our Alaska cruise.  I wish I found packing "tedious".  Instead, I find it a little stressful.  Not usually, but for Alaska, I do.  Somehow I keep thinking I need clothes for all four seasons even though we'll be there only 2 weeks.  Alaska can be so cold I wear long underwear, and so hot I wish I'd brought shorts (I never do).  It's the one destination I don't only bring carry on luggage for. all the winter coats and hoodies and shoes and such... well... I bring a suitcase.  Just put it in the car a few minutes ago.  Feel like I need a drink now.  Tedious would definitely be an improvement over all this stress over whether I packed the right stuff!! 😀 and the embarrassing part is I've cruised to Alaska more than 15 times... shouldn't I have it down by now? 😫🙄

• Like 3

We don’t mind packing for a cruise.  We both have traveled so much for business it’s kind of a semi-automatic routine for us.  We do use our formal living room as a staging area.  It has two glass doors so once we get started we can keep the cats out of there.  We also have two collapsable hanging racks we put in there.   Sometimes as much as two weeks out....depends on how long the cruise is and work demands....we start the process.  Slowly but surely we start putting things in there we don’t currently need and then talk each other through what we have set aside and what we still need.  Gives us time for dry cleaning, laundry, runs to stores for missing items, etc.   Kind of exciting actually and this thread got me thinking we’ll be packing for our next cruise in about 150 days!

• Like 1

I love to pack.  I begin about a month before the cruise.  I leave the suitcase on the spare bed and put and take out for most of the month.  I have a cube with the necessary items (meds, etc.) but the rest is what I think I might want to wear.  LOL

• Like 1

I quite enjoy packing to go, it’s the packing to come back that I hate.  I usually pack the night before if it’s an early flight or the same day for a late flight. I’m lucky enough to have a walk in dressing room/wardrobe and being a neat freak everything is in colour order and neatly organised so I just work my way around the room popping things into the case as I go. My hubby travels for work a lot but he never packs his own case ... apparently I’m much better at it 😇

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SempreMare said:

So how do you take the tedium out of packing? 

For almost forty-five years I packed for a business trip 10 or 15 times a year.  Packing for a cruise isn't tedium.  Besides, after all that practice I can be fully packed in 20 minutes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I leave the suitcase on the spare bed and put and take out for most of the month.  

You obviously don't have a cat(s). 🐈 🐈 🙄

Roz

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It’s an adventure at my house. Seven day cruise - no, honey, you don’t need seven pair of pants, seven pair of shorts, seven pair of sweatpants, and 21 various shirts for a seven day cruise. I’m packed in about three hours. Takes two days to pare his down so it fits in the suitcase. Every time!

• Like 1

I really do not get it.  Packing seems so straightforward to me.  Cannot imagine starting months in advance, weeks in advance or even days in advance.  Just fold it, put in in the bag, and you are done.   Hardly worth making a career out of it.  

Is it the indecision of what to pack or the fear that something may be forgotten?  It is only a trip, not as if one is emigrating.

Edited by iancal

8 minutes ago, iancal said:

I really do not get it.  Packing seems so straightforward to me.  Cannot imagine starting months in advance, weeks in advance or even days in advance.  Just fold it, put in in the bag, and you are done.   Hardly worth making a career out of it.  

Is it the indecision of what to pack or the fear that something may be forgotten?  It is only a trip, not as if one is emigrating.

Your absolutely right! But for us and others if your gone for 1-2 months with cruises

and being in countries for awhile you need to be able to pack right and not over pack.

I see your point exactly and with a cruise 

only having laundry service available is a plus!

over the years we have been able to have a system that works for us!

Denise😊

We now travel for two months at a time with carry on.   And once in a while we snag a last minute cruise in the middle of it.  Every year we leave town in the dead of winter of head to the beaches in Asia.   We both have it down to a science.  If we had to we could both pack in 20 minutes flat and be out the house on our way to the airport!   Doing exactly the same next month but going the opposite way.  We used to do the whole packing routine but it became too onerous for us and we could not physically handle the bags or the weight of them.

The only things we care about and triple check are prescriptions, eye wear, passports, cards, sunblock, and ipads.  The rest is noise level and can easily be purchased en route.    DW does not spend any time on her best Sunday beads and I travel with an inexpensive watch purchased  with  travel in mind.  If someone wants to rip those off be our guests.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Roz said:

You obviously don't have a cat(s). 🐈 🐈 🙄

Roz

LOL - I remember those days.  🙂 

And even with the dogs, I don’t dare bring up my suitcases too early but I do prep the packing.  I can do the shirts, pants, etc in my envelopes and then just plop them in the suitcases later.

The dogs know what the suitcases mean, but they like to go to their home away from home.  It’s just bringing them up too early puts them in ill at ease waiting for when we go 😉 

After getting a call once that I had 1 hour to get to the airport as there was an upcoming strike and I had put on this plane, I’ve learned to be somewhat prepared earlier.  Plus, for me, it makes it easier to do a bit at a time.  I don’t mind packing if there is no pressure.

It usually does take some planning as we don’t do Caribbean often so it’s mixed weather, layers, etc.

• Like 1

I’m still in awe and wonderment of the few here who travel with just carry on luggage.   Our typical cruise load is two 29” suitcases, two rolling garment bags, two rolling carry ons, wife’s gonzo traveling purse, and my backpack.   We look like we’re moving.   Heck a couple of weeks ago we went to visit our friends in Atlanta for just five days.  That took one 29” suitcase, the two rolling carry ons, and wife’s gonzo purse.  😳🥴😬

Oh and I just now mentioned leaving the jewelry home the next cruise to my wife.   Got THE LOOK!  Then she exited to the patio laughing and shaking her head.

Edited by Randyk47
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I’m still in awe and wonderment of the few here who travel with just carry on luggage.   Our typical cruise load is two 29” suitcases, two rolling garment bags, two rolling carry ons, wife’s gonzo traveling purse, and my backpack.   We look like we’re moving.   Heck a couple of weeks ago we went to visit our friends in Atlanta for just five days.  That took one 29” suitcase, the two rolling carry ons, and wife’s gonzo purse.  😳🥴😬

Oh and I just now mentioned leaving the jewelry home the next cruise to my wife.   Got THE LOOK!  Then she exited to the patio laughing and shaking her head.

What in the world are you packing? I didn't pack that much gear for a three week military exercise in Korea.  And, I had to take a sleeping bag and chemical warfare suit too.  All in one duffle bag.

The key to packing light is packing only what you need.  There is no need to pack three tops for one night because you can't decide which one you want to wear.  And, of course, packing three tops means packing three pairs of shoes, one for each top.

The second key is this:  no one will remember that what you've worn before.  No one will care either.

The third key is this:  there is no need to dress to impress people who you will never see again.

My wife has absolutely no problem packing for a cruise in one roller carry on and one personal item.  

I suspect we could both put all our gear into one roller carry on.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, iancal said:

For me, the questions are:

1.  Do I have want I want and need for this cruise in terms of clothing?  What is it that I want to get that's new?  Need time to shop for that, or order that, and always theres the question of "can I afford it?"

2.  What is it that I have that I've worn in the past but is either too old, too frayed, out of style, or no longer fits and needs to be replaced?  I'll need to shop for those items, too.

3.  The luggage:  has it been so damaged in previous trips that it's no longer fit for travel?  That has happened to me this time. I noticed when I moved to my new house last year that at least one of my rolling uprights no longer rolls. Ooops. Had I waited until a couple of days before the cruise to check my luggage I would be in trouble.

4.  I need time to look at the itinerary and consider what I'm going to wear where and relative to what shore excursions. I'm going to do a snorkel dive ... the shore excursion suggests I wear a specific kind of shoes to keep my feed from being cut on the rocks at the beach.  Ok, I need to buy those, too.  I like to think ahead.

5.  To me, getting ready for a cruise is FUN.  It helps pass the time and builds the anticipation and enjoyment all around.  Part of "getting ready" is preparing to pack.

The above being said ... when it comes to actually packing, it takes me about an hour.  I like to make sure things are neat, tight, and ready to go.  TSA sometimes screws up my planning and preparation, but I've not (yet) had a real disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

My wife has absolutely no problem packing for a cruise in one roller carry on and one personal item.  

I suspect we could both put all our gear into one roller carry on.  

Are you physically small? Thin? Short? All three?  I'm tall and fat ... meaning my clothing is more bulky and, hence, takes up more space in a suitcase. Depending upon the cruise, I can usually manage with a single 26" rolling upright (that will have to be checked). I also bring a carry-on for items I don't want handled by luggage crew. To do this, however, I have to wear my jacket and black dress shoes on the plane. I prefer cruises longer than 7 days and I pack for 5 days and use the ship's laundry.  If the cruise includes cold environments (i.e. Antarctica) and I have to pack a cold-weather coat, I have to re-think.  I don't take anything that I would wear only once or anything just because I can't decide what I'll wear.  I usually plot things out by day and night and try to project each thing to be worn at least twice, if not three (or more) times.  I did a 33-day Trans-Pacific cruise, not counting the 3-day pre-cruise stay in Hong Kong, with a rolling 29" upright and a large garment bag. I could have taken less (I guess), but there was a significant variety in climate on that cruise that required both tropical and cold-weather wear.  And, we had a lot of "Gala nights" on that cruise and I wanted to take my Tuxedo.

We do carry on by necessity because of how and where we travel.

We need to be able to physically handle our own bags.  It was a challenge at first.  DW still misses things. By the end of two months she is sick of her clothing choices.   The upside is that it has made our travel more enjoyable and certainly much easier for the past nine years. If we were only going on a two week cruise DW might do a 26”’.  I would stick with carry on.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1