Wot no Union Jacks

mickrory

Sister in law just back from her first P&O cruise on Oceana. Asked her how she enjoyed the Great British sailaway and she said it was okay but the regulars were disgruntled that P&O had discontinued giving out Union Jack flags due to "health and safety concerns".

Is this fleet wide? If so we'll have to take our own aboard Britannia in October.

Sounds more like a cost cutting exercise than anything to do with Health and Safety. That's the lazy excuse used now for everything.

Jingoistic displays probably hack off as many people as they appeal to though, and it doesn't make us look very good in overseas ports, so no bad thing.

From a personal standpoint I avoid sailaways like Norovirus.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mickrory said:

Sister in law just back from her first P&O cruise on Oceana. Asked her how she enjoyed the Great British sailaway and she said it was okay but the regulars were disgruntled that P&O had discontinued giving out Union Jack flags due to "health and safety concerns".

Is this fleet wide? If so we'll have to take our own aboard Britannia in October.

They are in the process of changing from plastic to wood and paper. We had the new ones on Britannia.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sounds more like a cost cutting exercise than anything to do with Health and Safety. That's the lazy excuse used now for everything.

Jingoistic displays probably hack off as many people as they appeal to though, and it doesn't make us look very good in overseas ports, so no bad thing.

From a personal standpoint I avoid sailaways like Norovirus.

Only its not true, see my post.

• Like 1

You really do wonder why staff sometimes seem to make up an odd reason.  Surely it would have been much better to say they they are starting to do away with plastics and use something more environmentally friendly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mickrory said:

Thanks for that Dai, why didn't they just tell them that?

This type of informating often does not filter down in big organisations. I can imagin the conversation in the ents office.

Why are there no flage

Dont know

It will probably be H&S

Ok

So its blamed on H&S.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, daiB said:

This type of informating often does not filter down in big organisations. I can imagin the conversation in the ents office.

Why are there no flage

Dont know

It will probably be H&S

Ok

So its blamed on H&S.

In other words Dai, P&O senior management are as poor with their communication to staff as they often are with us passengers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am no admirer of Sailaway parties but many do enjoy them so for those that do enjoy them would hate to see them stopped and if replacing plastic flags with recyclable paper/wood then that is good for the planet so even better. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

In other words Dai, P&O senior management are as poor with their communication to staff as they often are with us passengers...

I guess P&O is just like any big organisation where they don't send out a memo for every  minutiae of detail or people would complain about the waste of paper / have the bosses got nothing better to do  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

I guess P&O is just like any big organisation where they don't send out a memo for every  minutiae of detail or people would complain about the waste of paper / have the bosses got nothing better to do  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Yes but if P&O had sent it out in an e-mail as per the reply at post #10 you would have thought they would make sure it was widely known onboard...

13 minutes ago, Broadside said:

I find it curious how people that dont enjoy and dont partake in something often seem to want to prevent other people that do partake and do enjoy it from doing so! 

Lots of people enjoy dog fighting,   but that doesn't mean its acceptable.   

• Like 3

Attendance at ye olde British Sailaway should be mandatory for all pax.   So it is BYO flags now?  I do enjoy the Great British Sailaways, Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory and all that stirring stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We love a Great British Sailaway!

I am afraid that it is a very old fashioned notion that we should in some way be ashamed of being British. The younger generation have no such pseudo guilt.

Every nation in the world celebrates it national identity. It is arrogance to feel morally superior for not celebrating.

• Like 3

Isn't it a shame that the national flag has been tarnished by its use by political parties such as the BNP, UKIP and the Brexit Party.

Were that not the case far more people might feel comfortable with it, though singing Rule Britannia is hardly a great idea in foreign ports.

• Like 3

How come these songs and flag waving are  praised by the luvvies in the media at the PROMS, but condemned as jingoism when sung by people enjoying a holiday.

This is then Exacerbated by poor journalism linking it to a fight 12hrs later in a completely different place and talking about drunken yobs.

Only went to one sail away it was the Queens birthday,  so quite special. The people on the HAL ship next door joined in singing and waving. A lovely peaceful happy experience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Lots of people enjoy dog fighting,   but that doesn't mean its acceptable.   

What a silly comparison you can hardly call sailaway parties that have been enjoyed by many for years and are harmless fun and pair them with barbaric activity as dog fighting. Rather irresponsible comment to make.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I find it very sad that there are people in life and obviously some on CC because they do not like something they think it should be banned. We all like differing things and as long as legal should be available to all. There are things I dont enjoy on ships but would not want to stop them from being enjoyed by others.Just walk on by and go to another part of the ship where you can do what you enjoy and heaven forbid that there are not some that would want to stop what you enjoy doing. Live and let live and thankfully we are all different and enjoy different things.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

Attendance at ye olde British Sailaway should be mandatory for all pax.   So it is BYO flags now?  I do enjoy the Great British Sailaways, Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory and all that stirring stuff.

Extracting the urine eh!

I was quite happy when I received the email outlining the new procedures relating to the reduction of plastic. 

I enjoy the party atmosphere of the Great British Sailaway, but always had a niggling unease about the amount of plastic (particularly the flags) used. I always left my flags on a handy table or. chair in the hopes they would be reused or recycled but not with much confidence.