RCCL Cannabis Policy. Where? What?

7 minutes ago, gospelle said:

The person's link you quote references crossing international borders, not "temporarily using international waters to go between domestic ports". This is anything but definitive. Also, there are many ports on this cruise that do not use international waters, such as from Charlottetown to Halifax.

Wow... you are not going to see the ridiculously obvious , are you?

if you take one step over international borders... YOU HAVE CROSSED THE BORDER. It doesnt matter what the next port is. the rules are pretty cut and dry and now you are trying to muddy them

if you leave into international waters... its illegal. If you come back into the country from international waters... its illegal

there is no temporary.. or where you are returning to. Its straight and matter of fact and one step out into international waters makes it illegal according to Canada. Its in their documentations and if you read it exactly as written.. its illegal

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gospelle said:

I'm embarking on a cruise soon that departs and sails within Canada for the first several ports of call. Recreational cannabis use has been legal here for about a year now. Am curious about policy regarding boarding with and consuming cannabis within jurisdictions where it is legal. 

Google searches and cruise critic searches point to the guest conduct policy but that policy only references prohibition of "illegal" drugs, which cannabis is not in Canada.

Does boarding with cannabis, and consuming it all (or otherwise disposing of it all) prior to entering the USA where the final ports of call are, be okay within the current RCCL policy?

My Magic 8 Ball says, "don't count on it". 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 123funcruiser said:

You are NOT travelling within the Country. You are leaving Canada with entering the ship and re-entering the Country in the next port when going ashore.

My cruise goes, for example, from Charlottetown PEI to Sydney NS. How does leave the country?

4 minutes ago, gospelle said:

it talks about crossing an international border. It seems pretty clear they're talking about going from Canada to another country.

WHAT???? Its clear that what?

What it is very clear is, is that if you step 1 foot into international waters, its illegal. YOU are now twisting a very simple, logical , straight forward law to try to meet your needs.

If you cross the international border, its illegal... end... stop... no other words needed here.

At this point , this is as clear as it can be and you are not adding your own words (temporary?????) to fit your narrative.

this is in writing... clear, concise and definitive.

do what you want at this point but this answers your question in writing

Good luck

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gospelle said:

sorry, that article does not talk about "leaving Canadian border" it talks about crossing an international border. It seems pretty clear they're talking about going from Canada to another country. It is not clear that a ship temporarily using international waters between two Canadian ports is in any way not allowed. It is not even clear that the ship will use international waters between some of these ports. they are very close together (St. John NB, Charlottetown PE, Halifax NS are very close together).

Tell that to your court appointed attorney.....😎💥

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

Wow... you are not going to see the ridiculously obvious , are you?

if you take one step over international borders... YOU HAVE CROSSED THE BORDER. It doesnt matter what the next port is. the rules are pretty cut and dry and now you are trying to muddy them

if you leave into international waters... its illegal. If you come back into the country from international waters... its illegal

there is no temporary.. or where you are returning to. Its straight and matter of fact and one step out into international waters makes it illegal according to Canada. Its in their documentations and if you read it exactly as written.. its illegal

There are ferries that travel between these ports that do not restrict cannabis possession. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

1 minute ago, gospelle said:

My cruise goes, for example, from Charlottetown PEI to Sydney NS. How does leave the country?

if you go into international waters (more than 12 miles out I believe)... its leaving the country... plain and simple. It doesnt matter at all where your destination is.

if someone rapes another person and is in international waters (I dont care if its 1 mile into international waters) and they are going back to the same country... YOU ARE STILL IN INTERNATIONAL WATERS and the International waters laws apply.

You are confusing international borders with the starting port and the next port... Ports make NO difference

1 minute ago, emdia43 said:

https://www.cruzely.com/can-i-bring-cbd-on-a-cruise-ship-carnival-royal-caribbean-and-norwegian/

Looks like the answer is still No, no matter how many times you ask...

Like I said the last time someone posted that link, that is an article, not a policy. The article also does not talk about the scenario I'm asking about in my original post.

There are ferries that travel between these ports that do not restrict cannabis possession. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Canadian controlled ferries that might have government agreements maybe?

7 minutes ago, gospelle said:

It is the policy of the Cruise line not to allow you to bring it onboard.  While you

are on their ship you have to abide by their rules. You can go on and on about this

but the answer is no. If you do not like the answer then take a land tour to the East Coast instead of a cruise.  Enough already and I live in Canada.

Edited by cruisinggran
  • Like 2

Gospelle, is your argument really with us or is it with your country's laws and RCI policy?  The answer is no.  Marijuana is not permitted on RCI ships.  Instead of wasting your efforts on a futile argument on the internet, you could have just called RCI and had your answer.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, gospelle said:

Like I said the last time someone posted that link, that is an article, not a policy. The article also does not talk about the scenario I'm asking about in my original post.

It states clearly that Royal Caribbean do not allow any cannabis derived product onboard their fleet.

What else do you need it to say? That is their policy, regardless of cruise itinerary. .

Edited by emdia43

6 minutes ago, gospelle said:

Why don't you call Royal Caribbean and ask them for a link to the policy?

1 minute ago, hftmrock said:

Canadian controlled ferries that might have government agreements maybe?

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "the moment you step foot in international waters.. illegal, straight to jail." and then say it's allowed under some circumstances.

2 hours ago, gospelle said:

jail? perhaps you're not aware, cannabis is totally legal in Canada. I would absolutely not end up in jail.  As I've stated in the original post, and again in my responses, we are boarding in Canada and the first few ports of call are in Canada. There would be zero possibility of jail.

Jail  would depend on which port you clear US customs, if its the last Canadian port or the first US port.

If its the first Canadian port (embarkation)  then you can't bring it with you on the boat and the policy doesn't get a chance to come into play. You are on US soil when you are clearing US customs.

You may not get arrested in Canada but RCCL may not let you cruise if you can't clear customs and that probably isn't insurable.

So you should call or write Royal or see an attorney and have them do it for you. The problem with calling is you may not get the correct answer.

5 minutes ago, robandana said:

I hope they don't allow it. We live in Canada and our neighbor smokes pot and it really stinks the place up, to the point that we can't be on our balcony if they are smoking pot inside their condo.....

I agree, it's smelling if smoked. A dry herb vaporizer is not smelly though as there is no smoke.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "the moment you step foot in international waters.. illegal, straight to jail." and then say it's allowed under some circumstances.

of course you can... ferries are owned and operated by Canada and can have modified laws. Royal Caribbean is NOT owned and solely operated by Canada so it CAN and most likely do have exceptions.

10 minutes ago, gospelle said:

You are Right, the article is just an article and not a written Policy. Your Scenario however does not matter at all though, as the article quotes an RCI spokesperson in saying it´s not allowed on RCI ships no matter what. It does not matter at all if it would be allowed By Canadian law (which it is obviously not), they could still not allow it, as in their ships, their rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Jail  would depend on which port you clear US customs, if its the last Canadian port or the first US port.

If its the first Canadian port (embarkation)  then you can't bring it with you on the boat and the policy doesn't get a chance to come into play. You are on US soil when you are clearing US customs.

You may not get arrested in Canada but RCCL may not let you cruise if you can't clear customs and that probably isn't insurable.

So you should call or write Royal or see an attorney and have them do it for you. The problem with calling is you may not get the correct answer.

This is a good point (which port we clear US customs). I've not done this itinerary before so I don't know which it is. The first 4 ports including embarkation are all in Canada so even though Canada does have pre-clearance for USA in some ports, I'm not sure that would be at embarkation. Someone who has done that sort of cruise could enlighten us?

11 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Gospelle, is your argument really with us or is it with your country's laws and RCI policy?  The answer is no.  Marijuana is not permitted on RCI ships.  Instead of wasting your efforts on a futile argument on the internet, you could have just called RCI and had your answer.

As Always Right and the voice of reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

of course you can... ferries are owned and operated by Canada and can have modified laws. Royal Caribbean is NOT owned and solely operated by Canada so it CAN and most likely do have exceptions.

It would just be simpler if Royal just had a coherent policy on the matter don't you think? Hey, do you know where I might find that? 

It would just be simpler if Royal just had a coherent policy on the matter don't you think? Hey, do you know where I might find that? 

Obviously nobody here knows where to find that policy.  I'm still baffled by your aversion to calling and asking for it yourself.