Honduras, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman excursions

docboy

Hey everyone,

Our upcoming cruise on the Armonia leaving Miami is coming up in 2 days.  Ports of call are now Honduras, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and George Town.  No more Cuba, but oh well, that time has passed...

Can any offer any insights if there are excursions for sale at the ports of call?  Not really wanting to pay ship prices by being fear mongered of not buying "cruise approved excursions."

In particular are there some sort of sloth, iguana, or capuchin monkeys tour in Honduras?

Also, I've read somewhere on here the Costa Maya is pretty dirty.  Which place would one recommend?

Thanks.

We are on your cruise on Monday...

In Honduras we are using Victor Bodden tours, they have monkeys, sloths etc, but our cruise ship docks after the time period they allow people to hold sloths. They have lots of options available.

Costa Maya - we are using Native Choice for a trip to Chaccoben ruins

Cozumel - I have done Nachi Cocom all inclusive beach resort several times. Always good all drinks unlimited and a four course lunch for each person.  You need to book ahead of time on their website.  This time we are doing a chocolate factory tour instead.

George Town - we splurged and are taking a jetski tour to stingray city, booked ahead with fatfish adventures.

I almost never book excursions from the ship anymore as there are better/cheaper ones available third party. The only time I would book with the ship is if it was a very long excursion and I was risking not being back in time.

Hope to meet you on board!

Georgetown = Captain Marvin's tours 

Cozumel = island marketing tours

Honduras = Victor Bodden tours

Costa Maya = the Native choice tour company to the chaccobean Ruins    or   taxi to the Malecon (boardwalk) with beach, bars, restaurants,  massages, stores....    or the port area has bug pool, stores, restaurants,  bars...

We have done all if these, numerous times

Safe sailing 

Roatan :  Wild On Roatan Tour  Sloths, monkeys iguanas

Cozumel https://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/

Cayman- we did the wave runner tour to stingray city and Rum point!  https://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/excursion/stingray-city-rum-point-beach-snorkeling-excursion-grand-cayman-waverunners/

Costa Maya we did the beach break at Nohoch Kay which was great

23 hours ago, saxkid said:

In Honduras we are using Victor Bodden tours, they have monkeys, sloths etc, but our cruise ship docks after the time period they allow people to hold sloths. They have lots of options available.

Cozumel - I have done Nachi Cocom all inclusive beach resort several times. Always good all drinks unlimited and a four course lunch for each person.  You need to book ahead of time on their website.  This time we are doing a chocolate factory tour instead.

George Town - we splurged and are taking a jetski tour to stingray city, booked ahead with fatfish adventures.

I almost never book excursions from the ship anymore as there are better/cheaper ones available third party. The only time I would book with the ship is if it was a very long excursion and I was risking not being back in time.

Thanks for the posts everyone.  Good to see there are a few companies repeatedly mentioned, so that's a good thing 🙂

I was really hoping to hold a few sloths, oh well.  May try for the monkeys instead.  We still have the $400 per cabin credit due to Cuban fiasco, so we may try to utilize this credit to the fullest extent.  Also hoping to meet you on board.  I'm traveling with my wife and kid, and also meeting up with my parents. 

I just did a cruise on the Armonia to these ports, except I went to Key West instead of Grand Cayman, so I'll leave what I just did last month below/my opinions. I hope I help!

Another vote for Native Choice in Costa Maya for me. To me, Costa Maya is a wasted port where all you can do is spend a lot of money on excursions. However, Native Choice charges reasonable fares and gives an amazing tour - I'm so glad we booked with them and we had such a great time. Aside from the Mayan Ruins, beaches (which I don't particularly care for here for some reason), and the regular cruise excursions, there isn't much going on here. So out of all the ports, I would recommend splurging here. Costa Maya is a place where you "need" an excursion - there's absolutely NOTHING outside of the port area, except for excursion buses.

I can't give you a solid excursion choice in Cozumel, I always use it as a beach stop. I really like the Paradise Beach Club, I feel like it offers a great experience for its price ($3 a person with a "promise" to spend at least $10 on food and/or drinks with them, which we have done each time and it's been good) and has great facilities. 

I have only been to Roatan once, and I just took a taxi to West Bay Beach, laid out my towel, and spent the day like that. Got q mojito from a bar at one point. Roatan was my cheap stop - and West Bay was gorgeous so I had a great day. However, no excursion recommendation here. (If you can't tell, I'm a beach guy :D)

In Honduras, we've visited Daniel Johnson's Monkey and sloth hangout twice and highly recommend it. You can check it out here

He offers pickup at the ship, transportation to facility, tour (yes, you hold a sloth, monkey, etc) and return to ship. If you are interested in other activities like zip-lining, snorkeling (recommended), beach time, etc, he can add them to your package as well

~Brian

On 8/10/2019 at 5:15 PM, saxkid said:

You’re going to love the jet ski excursion with Fat Fish. We did I it 2 years ago. We drove the jet skis out 4 miles to the sting rays, then got on the jet skis and drove to a snorkeling sight. Then we went to starfish point. Got on the jet skis and rode the 4 miles back. We were 69 at that time and I have to admit, it was the best excursion we ever went on. Make sure you wear swim goggles because when you’re driving fast to keep up with the guide, you’re getting a lot of salt water thrown in your face. Enjoy. 

Good Afternoon,

We will be on the Meraviglia in Feb. 2020 and are going to Honduras. Can someone let me know what port we dock at and about how far West End Beach is from there. Would also be interested is best method of getting there.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Debbie

Another vote for Victor Bodden in Honduras, we used him several years ago and totally enjoyed our time...

In Cozumel we have rented an H2 Hummer and drove to the eastern side of the island for a totally different experience, there is no electricity over there so the restaurant we went to (Coconuts?) ran on generators...not to mention the best overlooks and deserted beaches around.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, ocbaylady said:

Good Afternoon,

We will be on the Meraviglia in Feb. 2020 and are going to Honduras. Can someone let me know what port we dock at and about how far West End Beach is from there. Would also be interested is best method of getting there.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Debbie

Hello fellow Marylander!

You are going to be docking in Coxed Hole, which is the regular cruise port on the island (Carnival Corp owns Mahogany Bay, which is a private destination).

As for West Bay, the taxi will take about 20 minutes one way from the dock in Coxen Hole to the beach. We booked a cab right outside the terminal for $25 roundtrip, and we arranged a pick up time with the driver before getting out, and met him exactly where he dropped us off. We just laid our towels out on the beach and did not rent beach chairs. Stopped at a local bar for a mojito though!