Anyone to share their day by day in ANTARCTICA?

rosewood jo

32 minutes ago, carefreecruise said:

We liked it so much last year we are going back. This time out to Easter Island for a week. 

It sure draws you back, carefreecruise! We are going back soon too.

Great that you are going to Easter Island this time! Let me know if you want any advice for what to do, where to stay, etc as we were there 2 years ago. Fascinating place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

It sure draws you back, carefreecruise! We are going back soon too.

Great that you are going to Easter Island this time! Let me know if you want any advice for what to do, where to stay, etc as we were there 2 years ago. Fascinating place.

So weird- we had lunch with a half a dozen couples on our trip and all of them have been to Antarctica more that three times. We were the newbee's . After being there, we can see why. Nobody at home understands why we event went once to Antarctica. 

And yes on the Easter Island. We have a week booked at Hotel Hangaroa on the coast. The one the locals are picketing. Looking for guides for every day. 

Edited by carefreecruise

There is a lot to see on Hanga Roa. I like your choice of hotel very much, as it's the one we stayed in! A week will be more than enough I think, and it will give you some leeway if you run into some bad weather days. We had three days and a fourth would have been nice. So you should be good.

I don't want to go too far OT with this thread by talking about all the different sites there - but here is a link to some pictures from our trip there. https://jpalbny.smugmug.com/Easter-Island-November-2017  And if you go to the home page of that SmugMug account, there is a link to send me an e-mail, and I'll be happy to answer any other questions about Hanga Roa.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, rosewood jo said:

just follow by signing up to follow here?  right?   Looking forward to your Antarctica blog and pics!   

Most of us who do live trip reports will create separate threads. They should be pretty obvious from the title, so when they start appearing on the boards, follow along. I'll start mine in a few weeks.

• Like 1

I should have been clearer.  That video was made by Silversea's  videographer, who is a professional.  The video of the trip was for sale at the end of the cruise, but since has been posted to YouTube.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IdRathrBCruzn said:

I'll be on the Jan 4 Antarctica cruise. Looking forward to meeting jpalbny and Stumblefoot. I know RachelG from several previous trips together. We will be boarding before we know it after over 2 years of waiting!

Look forward to meeting you IdRathrBCruzn.  If you see a jolly fat man with a bad hair cut sans beard, accompanying a lovely elegant lady and young woman, that'll be me as we celebrate Silver Princess's 21st birthday during this voyage.  I hope you will come up and introduce yourself.  It would be fun to work with The Restaurant's maître d' to put a large table together some evening for us all to enjoy each other's company.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recently back from the Dec 10-20 Antarctica trip on the Cloud.

A fabulous trip!!

Just posted trip pics on my FB page - think you can find it with this link https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006598745795

We bought our own waterproof pants and boots because cheaper than renting.  See more comments on packing under that thread.

Loved the trivia and the pianist is amazing!!!  

The expedition experts were wonderful.  Made the trip so much better having such knowledgeable folks along.

Travel tip - if you are flying home the last day of the trip, have at LEAST 3 hours in Santiago airport.  Our flight was at 10:20pm and we barely made it.  Had to stand in about 7 lines, and everything was VERY chaotic.

Let me know if any other questions.

1 hour ago, bethtex said:

...the pianist is amazing!!!  

As a pianist myself, I’m excited to hear this as we have had nothing more than a general keyboardist on all our SS voyages.  Hopefully, we’ll have the same one as you.  What was the pianist’s name?

50 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

As a pianist myself, I’m excited to hear this as we have had nothing more than a general keyboardist on all our SS voyages.  Hopefully, we’ll have the same one as you.  What was the pianist’s name?

Alfredo. He is Phillippino I think.

He plays many styles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1