Mardi Gras, eastern or western Caribbean route?

mslhb

Looking at options for 2021 on the Mardi Gras. Of all the ports listed we have only been to Cozumel. We are booking for the ship so both itineraries look fine to me. Which would you choose? West=Cozumel, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay, East=San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk

Edited by mslhb

3 minutes ago, mslhb said:

Looking at options for 2021 on the Mardi Gras. Of all the ports listed we have only been to Cozumel. We are booking for the ship so both itineraries look fine to me. Which would you choose? West=Cozumel, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay, East=San Juan, Amber above and Grand Turk

I honestly am so upset they removed St. Thomas from the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. In your shoes, I would chose whichever prices out the least expensive. In my shoes, I would chose the Western Caribbean. 

• Like 1

We would do the western, actually, we are doing the western on the Mardi Gras in 2021. We did the Eastern on the Breeze in January 2019, and found the ports lacking compared to the western. We also found the seas to be extremely rough, at least the Breeze was rocking quite a bit. Loved St. Thomas and Grand Turk. Didn't like San Juan. Had mixed feelings about Amber Cove. 

Grand Turk is one of our favorite ports. As is Amber cove. Grand Turk, The beautiful beach is right by the ship. No charge no traveling. You can rent different water vehicles at both ports. Amber Cove has huts you can rent on the water. Personally far better than any Mexico port.

22 hours ago, mslhb said:

Looking at options for 2021 on the Mardi Gras. Of all the ports listed we have only been to Cozumel. We are booking for the ship so both itineraries look fine to me. Which would you choose? West=Cozumel, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay, East=San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk

We are on the Mardi Gras repositioning from NYC to Port Canaveral.  You should join us- 15 days, mostly southern ports.   If that's not in your future, then personally I would choose western.  But your choice should depend on what you like to do. E= Grand Turk & Amber Cove-- both have basically free huge pools.  You pay for drinks, food & sometimes the lounge chairs or rent a cabana.  San Juan is an easy do it yourself port.  W= Mahogany Bay which has a free beach, & several inexpensive tour options, Costa Maya has a free pool with lots of shops & beach nearby (haven't been there in a few yrs, so things might have changed) & you said you had visited Cozumel so you know what it's like.  My suggestion for Cozumel is to get out & see the other side of the island- its beautiful.  Good luck on your choice, have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time we sailed a new Carnival ship, we booked the Horizon on an eastern repo from NY.  When it stopped at Amber Cove (ugh, ugly)  we stayed on the ship and rode the sky ride and enjoyed serenity.

Since the OP is not sailing for just the new ship experience,  says both itineraries look fine, and doesn't offer any personal preferences for what they like to do in port, I'll say it doesn't matter what they choose.  Both the ship and the ports will be new experiences, so just pick one and enjoy!

6 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Last time we sailed a new Carnival ship, we booked the Horizon on an eastern repo from NY.  When it stopped at Amber Cove (ugh, ugly)  we stayed on the ship and rode the sky ride and enjoyed serenity.

So the rumors I have heard that some people have actually rode the SkyRide are true. 😀