OASIS OR BLISS?

KLea

Hi. I want to do a solo cruise as a writing retreat for myself, so mainly I'll be hanging out writing in the quieter spaces (although I do like being outdoors in the shade). I've found 2 cruises to the Caribbean (the ports for both are fine) and would like your opinions about which one you would choose. One is on the newly redone Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas. I've been on the Oasis once before with my son and loved it. I can afford a Central Park window view and I like having the natural light. It's a 7-day cruise at the end of January. The other is on the Norwegian Bliss for 12 days the beginning of December. I've only been on a short Norwegian Sky booze cruise with my sisters and didn't much like Norwegian, but I'm assuming this larger, newer ship would be a different experience. I can only afford an interior room (no virtual window - the solo studio cabin was way more than interior). Why I'm even considering it over the Oasis is because the observation lounge looks fabulous and also it leaves from NYC, which means I don't have to pay for airfare, making this 12-day cruise the same price as the Oasis' 7-day cruise out of Miami. But is 12 days in an inside cabin a bad idea? I've been in an inside cabin once before on a Disney ship, but that was only a 3 night cruise. And is Oasis that much better where I should just take that cruise? I don't drink alcohol and I may see a show or two, but basically I just want a ship with a nice atmosphere and good complimentary food (I won't pay extra for specialty dining). I can't afford any different room type. Which cruise would you choose and why? Thanks!!

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Welcome to cruise critic. I prefer Royal to NCL, so using your criteria and my own I would do the Oasis.

Ditto to what Mic said.  Plus a wintertime cruise out of a northern port means that the first two and last two days are likely to be indoor days.... is the NCL ship built with enough public space indoors for that many people?

But really, the whole thing is so subjective.... 

True. I’m also hoping to hear from someone who’s been on the Bliss in particular. It usually sails to Alaska so it does have a lot of indoor space. The 5 extra days are what’s pulling me in that direction, but like you two, I feel like RC will be the better ship... 

Is there a particular reason you have decided on those two ships?  If you are willing to sail out of Miami/FLL, why not have a look at the MSC ships.  There are some really good prices on Armonia (much smaller) in that time period, and prices vary on Meraviglia and Seaside.  EM

I've checked all the ships. MSC doesn't have great prices for a solo traveler and I prefer the newer, bigger ships. Also, I don't like fixed dining times on MSC. But thank you for the suggestions.

11 hours ago, KLea said:

Hi. I want to do a solo cruise as a writing retreat for myself, so mainly I'll be hanging out writing in the quieter spaces (although I do like being outdoors in the shade). I've found 2 cruises to the Caribbean (the ports for both are fine) and would like your opinions about which one you would choose. One is on the newly redone Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas. I've been on the Oasis once before with my son and loved it. I can afford a Central Park window view and I like having the natural light. It's a 7-day cruise at the end of January. The other is on the Norwegian Bliss for 12 days the beginning of December. I've only been on a short Norwegian Sky booze cruise with my sisters and didn't much like Norwegian, but I'm assuming this larger, newer ship would be a different experience. I can only afford an interior room (no virtual window - the solo studio cabin was way more than interior). Why I'm even considering it over the Oasis is because the observation lounge looks fabulous and also it leaves from NYC, which means I don't have to pay for airfare, making this 12-day cruise the same price as the Oasis' 7-day cruise out of Miami. But is 12 days in an inside cabin a bad idea? I've been in an inside cabin once before on a Disney ship, but that was only a 3 night cruise. And is Oasis that much better where I should just take that cruise? I don't drink alcohol and I may see a show or two, but basically I just want a ship with a nice atmosphere and good complimentary food (I won't pay extra for specialty dining). I can't afford any different room type. Which cruise would you choose and why? Thanks!!

Good luck with your writing. I am a published author and I did a sort of writing retreat cruise in 1994.

I haven't been on an Oasis-class ship but I HAVE been on the Bliss.  The observation lounge is absolutely gorgeous and if you can snag a seat would be a great place for what you're looking to do.  If you can find a spot behind a windbreak, the Waterfront (deck 8 ) would be a close second (though maybe not until the second day).  The Garden Cafe (buffet) has a section that overlooks the observation longe, that might also work when it's not a prime meal time.  You're not sailing in a Studio cabin which is unfortunate as the Studio Lounge, even though it's an inside room, would also work for you as it's generally quiet except during the nightly meetup.

4 hours ago, George C said:

We really like oasis and in general really dislike ncl (but have not cruised it for years) but 12 days sounds better than 7.

That's my feeling (and my conundrum) exactly!! Ha!

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I haven't been on an Oasis-class ship but I HAVE been on the Bliss.  The observation lounge is absolutely gorgeous and if you can snag a seat would be a great place for what you're looking to do.  If you can find a spot behind a windbreak, the Waterfront (deck 8 ) would be a close second (though maybe not until the second day).  The Garden Cafe (buffet) has a section that overlooks the observation longe, that might also work when it's not a prime meal time.  You're not sailing in a Studio cabin which is unfortunate as the Studio Lounge, even though it's an inside room, would also work for you as it's generally quiet except during the nightly meetup.

Thank you very much for these specifics. It will help me make up my mind.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Good luck with your writing. I am a published author and I did a sort of writing retreat cruise in 1994.

Thank you so much!! I've got 2 short stories coming out in anthologies this year and I snagged an agent last year, but my book didn't sell. So I'm working on another and can use all the luck I can get!

I want to do a solo cruise as a writing retreat for myself, so mainly I'll be hanging out writing in the quieter spaces (although I do like being outdoors in the shade)

Just wonder why you have chosen 2 giant amusement park ships ? 

There are still some quieter ships out there .

4 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

I want to do a solo cruise as a writing retreat for myself, so mainly I'll be hanging out writing in the quieter spaces (although I do like being outdoors in the shade)

Just wonder why you have chosen 2 giant amusement park ships ? 

There are still some quieter ships out there .

lol - that's a fair point. Norwegian has good prices for solo travelers and the Bliss has that awesome observation lounge. I love the Oasis class ships of Royal Caribbean - although (or because) they are large, there are many different places to hang out. I don't mind background music/noise. So although I'm not basing my choices on those "amusement park" attractions, I find the smaller ships are just eh, nothing special. I would've chosen the Oasis in a heartbeat (I loved that ship) -- no brainer-- if I hadn't seen the Bliss that was 5 days longer for the same price. My questions is for those who may have been on one or both - what do you think of public spaces (Oasis' spaces never seemed crowded), food quality and choices of complimentary food, snack options, type of crowd it attracts (not looking for the booze cruisers), etc. I'm waiting to hear that the Bliss was a madhouse even in the observation lounge and that the food sucked or that it was great and the 5 extra days - even in a cabin without natural light - would be worth it. I guess I want someone to make up my mind for me, ha ha!!

14 minutes ago, KLea said:

Thank you so much!! I've got 2 short stories coming out in anthologies this year and I snagged an agent last year, but my book didn't sell. So I'm working on another and can use all the luck I can get!

I have had numerous poems and short stories published.I wrote 2 plays and one TV show before attempting a book .My book was published and even though it has been out of print many years a rare book dealer in NY is selling autographed copies for $27.00.

After writing the book I went back to writing short stories which have appeared in numerous magazines.

1 hour ago, KLea said:

I'm waiting to hear that the Bliss was a madhouse

Besides the OL, the primary general-use inside public space (the Atrium) can be a "madhouse".  The Atrium is generally used for trivia, the Officer's Q&A (though I don't think this is a great venue for this) and other daily activities.  There is some seating off to one side but the area can get noisy and I don't recall many tables there.  There may be other public areas that I never discovered because I had the Studio Lounge I could escape to.

A tip - high-volume travel agents get invited to go on preview cruises on new ships, some video tours of the ships and post them to YouTube.  You can probably get some good info there as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KLea said:

I'm waiting to hear that the Bliss was a madhouse even in the observation lounge and that the food sucked or that it was great and the 5 extra days - even in a cabin without natural light and with limited ability to enjoy time outdoors on most of those extra days - would be worth it. I guess I want someone to make up my mind for me, ha ha!!

I fixed it for you!  LOL

That's been my biggest reason for not sailing out of Bayonne.  To me, cruises mean tropical warm / hot air, palm trees, etc.  I don't even bring my winter coat on the plane with me -- I leave it in the car.  Wearing a winter coat on a cruise ship just doesn't jibe with my mental picture of cruising.  

Lots of people really enjoy cruises to Alaska, but it's just not my thing.  Born and raised in Michigan, I've seen plenty of snow and ice over the past five decades... I wanna see sun and sand and blue water!

Not trying to push you one way or the other -- it really is subjective!  Just want to point out that the beginning and the end of the NCL cruise are not going to be "normal" cruising days because of the winter weather.

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

I fixed it for you!  LOL

That's been my biggest reason for not sailing out of Bayonne.  To me, cruises mean tropical warm / hot air, palm trees, etc.  I don't even bring my winter coat on the plane with me -- I leave it in the car.  Wearing a winter coat on a cruise ship just doesn't jibe with my mental picture of cruising.  

Lots of people really enjoy cruises to Alaska, but it's just not my thing.  Born and raised in Michigan, I've seen plenty of snow and ice over the past five decades... I wanna see sun and sand and blue water!

Not trying to push you one way or the other -- it really is subjective!  Just want to point out that the beginning and the end of the NCL cruise are not going to be "normal" cruising days because of the winter weather.

This has been why I didn't choose a NY port for my son and I, and it's been in the back of my mind on this decision as well. I think it needs to go in the forefront of my mind, because I feel the same way you do -- when I think cruise, I want warm and ocean breezes!! Hmmm. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KLea said:

This has been why I didn't choose a NY port for my son and I, and it's been in the back of my mind on this decision as well. I think it needs to go in the forefront of my mind, because I feel the same way you do -- when I think cruise, I want warm and ocean breezes!! Hmmm. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for not being offended!  I debated even posting it...

I know some people really adore their Alaskan or other northern cruises, and the lack of tropical weather doesn't faze them in the least. That's great for them, I'm glad they have other cruises they love taking, but it's just not for me.  

Then again, even if you ARE stuck inside for those extra days.... at least you're not cooking and cleaning at home!  Oh, crap, I probably didn't help with the decision making by bringing that up, eh?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Thanks for not being offended!  I debated even posting it...

I know some people really adore their Alaskan or other northern cruises, and the lack of tropical weather doesn't faze them in the least. That's great for them, I'm glad they have other cruises they love taking, but it's just not for me.  

Then again, even if you ARE stuck inside for those extra days.... at least you're not cooking and cleaning at home!  Oh, crap, I probably didn't help with the decision making by bringing that up, eh?

Of course I'm not offended. But now you're bringing up my other point of 5 extra days not at home is 5 extra days not at home. Errrgh!! lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KLea said:

Of course I'm not offended. 

There's no "of course" about it... people will get offended for any reason or no reason at all anymore!   

8 hours ago, KLea said:

But now you're bringing up my other point of 5 extra days not at home is 5 extra days not at home. Errrgh!! lol.

LOL, I hear ya. 

I'm doing a B2B on Majesty of the Seas in a couple weeks, for a total of ten days.  I normally wouldn't go on Majesty at all, but the rate dropped insanely after Cuba got banned again, and they dropped the single supplement too, so I signed up for a 5-day -- I figured five days on a tiny little cruise ship was still better than five days at home.  Then airfare shot up for the Labor Day holiday, and it was cheaper to tack on another cruise and fly back later than it was to pay for holiday airfare.  

It may be a teeny tiny ship with boring ports, but I'm not at home, I'm not cooking, I'm not washing dishes, I'm not making my bed, I'm not emptying wastebaskets, there are cool people to hang out with... plus the ship will be half-empty because most of the rooms are full of other people taking advantage of the no-single-supplement deal!  Ten days on a ship for under $700 including taxes... how could I pass that up???