Still don't see why I should use a TA...

MandyMooToo

On 9/28/2019 at 2:28 PM, ontheweb said:

And if you do think there is an advantage, then use a TA.

I am going to give you an example that we just did on Thursday.  I will not mention the cruise line (a major mass market line) or the cruise to keep some folks from getting angry.  But this example is pretty typical with one of our favored cruise agencies (that we have used for over 20 years) and we could get similar deals from some other agencies of whom we are aware (and have sometimes used in the past).  This particular cruise is about 1 month long and we booked a small suite.  The actual invoice price from the cruise agency is $14,170.  The exact same cabin category booked directly with the cruise line would be $16,138.  In this case all the amenities are the same with either booking...the only difference being the price.  As you can see, using an agency saves us nearly $2000 or a little more then 12%!   Savings on other cruise lines might be somewhat less or possibly more.  But this is an actual booking and real numbers!  If the pricing on this cruise were to drop we could easily have it "repriced" at the new lower price by simply sending an e-mail to our agent.  As far as paying for this cruise the credit card payment is processed by the cruise line (in the cruise line's name).  When we made this booking through our cruise agent it immediately showed-up on our account with the cruise line's web site.   Perhaps for some folks like yourself, saving $2000 is not a big deal or that important...but for me it is real money.

So when folks tell me there is no advantage to using a cruise/travel agent my first thought is that they are simply not using the right agency.  That is why we always suggest folks shop around (before they book).  Most agencies will not give you this kind of pricing but there are quite a few high volume agencies that routinely do this kind of discounting (with permission from the cruise line).  Savings of 7-10% are what I would consider within the norm.  This particular deal is a little better because it is a substantial booking and the particular cruise line has a history of supporting some decent discounting.

Hank

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am going to give you an example that we just did on Thursday.  I will not mention the cruise line (a major mass market line) or the cruise to keep some folks from getting angry.  But this example is pretty typical with one of our favored cruise agencies (that we have used for over 20 years) and we could get similar deals from some other agencies of whom we are aware (and have sometimes used in the past).  This particular cruise is about 1 month long and we booked a small suite.  The actual invoice price from the cruise agency is $14,170.  The exact same cabin category booked directly with the cruise line would be $16,138.  In this case all the amenities are the same with either booking...the only difference being the price.  As you can see, using an agency saves us nearly $2000 or a little more then 12%!   Savings on other cruise lines might be somewhat less or possibly more.  But this is an actual booking and real numbers!  If the pricing on this cruise were to drop we could easily have it "repriced" at the new lower price by simply sending an e-mail to our agent.  As far as paying for this cruise the credit card payment is processed by the cruise line (in the cruise line's name).  When we made this booking through our cruise agent it immediately showed-up on our account with the cruise line's web site.   Perhaps for some folks like yourself, saving $2000 is not a big deal or that important...but for me it is real money.

So when folks tell me there is no advantage to using a cruise/travel agent my first thought is that they are simply not using the right agency.  That is why we always suggest folks shop around (before they book).  Most agencies will not give you this kind of pricing but there are quite a few high volume agencies that routinely do this kind of discounting (with permission from the cruise line).  Savings of 7-10% are what I would consider within the norm.  This particular deal is a little better because it is a substantial booking and the particular cruise line has a history of supporting some decent discounting.

Hank

I agree fully, but U have to be more specific. Which cruise & departure date. No need to mention the agents name.