How many cruises do you do a year?

lenquixote66

Perhaps 3 or 4, sometimes 5.  Now that we are both retired and have moved to FL, we are adjusting the months when we cruise.  It's no longer necessary for us to escape the NY winter months.

We are also returning to land vacations, which had taken a backseat to cruising the last few years.

Currently, we're averaging 3 cruises per year for an approx. total of 85+\- nights annually on cruise ships. We seek out primarily intercontinental  itineraries with different desirable (new/favorite/interesting/etc) start/end ports where we add pre/post land stays thus getting the best bang for that ever-increasing bizclass air cost.

Although our first cruise was in 1973 our only other cruise while we were working was in 1994.We did a lot of land vacations between 1967 and 2007.We did trips that most people do not do such as a cross country US vacation stopping in 43 cities and a cross country Canadian tour stopping in as many areas as possible.

We also toured states in the US such as Vermont and Connecticut spending time in as many cities as possible.

2011 NCL Epic 7nts 

2012 Serenad OTS 7nts

2014 Allure OTS 7nts

2015 Legend OTS B2B 21nts

2016 Majesty OTS 3nts and Celebrity Equinox 11nts

2017 Navigator OTS 9nts and Freedom OTS 6nts

2018 MSC Meraviglia 11nts, Celebrity Equinox 7nts and MSC Seaview 7nts

2019 Harmony OTS 7nts, Independence OTS 14nts, Radiance OTS 10nts (September) and Jewel OTS 7nts (December)

2020 Freedom OTS 7nts, guess that we will do at least one more.

3 hours ago, George C said:

Wife is still working ,  but we normally do two , of course we need a week in New York. 

3 hours ago, George C said:

Wife is still working ,  but we normally do two , of course we need a week in New York. 

We did not cruise on a regular basis till my wife stopped working.

3 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

No way I will fly to Europe, or even to Florida, for a short cruise.

Trying to interpret this.  Are you saying that you WILL fly those places for a longer cruise.?

Our average is about 1.5 cruises/year.  We do two international trips/year.  Could both be cruises or one cruise and one land trip or combinations.  Mrs Ldubs is still working so I expect travel will increase when she retires in a couple of years.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

No way I will fly to Europe, or even to Florida, for a short cruise.

I understand what your are saying.  I kind of feel the same way, but combining a short cruise with a longer land trip is good.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, clo said:

Trying to interpret this.  Are you saying that you WILL fly those places for a longer cruise.?

Absolutely! Sorry for the shorthand. What I was trying to get to is that the cost and hassle of travel away from home (including prepping the house for long-term absence, coordinating with house sitter and cat sitter, pre-paying bills, etc etc etc) for me is quite easy to put up with if the reward is great enough. A day and a half in travel mode on either end of a trip. so about 3 days. If we go for a week cruise, then three of our ten days, 30%, is wasted unpleasant time.  If we go for a 14+14 b2b with time ashore before and after, then the in transit unpleasantness is only about 10% of the total, or less, and is easily bearable. I look at the cost of flights and hotel stays the same way, and try to minimize those.

At this point, by my idiosyncratic set of computations, I will fly to NJ/NY for a 10-day or longer cruise, but nothing shorter. I'll fly to FLL/Miami for a 7+7 b2b but nothing shorter. I'll fly to San Juan for a 10 day but would prefer longer. For Europe, it has to be at least 3 weeks. For NZ/Australia, it will need to be at least 5 weeks. 

Of course finding a compatible Trans Atlantic or Trans Pacific changes the equations a bit.And as dubs said, combining with a land vacation also works for me. So, our week more or less in Italy before a 14-day Trans Atlantic....

Stan

I'd like to average three or four cruises a year. I retired two and a half years ago, and DH retired three years ago. We took three cruises my first year of retirement. He went back to work on a contract basis last year, so that cut us back to just two cruises in 2018. I'm back up to at least three this year because I went without him on back-to-back cruises to Alaska while he was working this summer. His contracts are October through December and April through the middle of August. He just signed up to work the fall this year, but we are going on a cruise together next month.