Hotels in Southampton

Ilovemygarden

I should imagine the hotels at the airport might be cheaper than those in Southampton by the cruise terminal. It also depends which cruise terminal you are referring too. Leonardo Royal, Holiday Inn, Premier Inn, Jury's, Novotel and Ibis are all relatively close it just depends how much you want to pay.

I would choose to stay in one of the city centre hotels. Many more dining options for your evening meal, plus you can stock up on any last minute essentials. However,  you need to book early,  as rooms tend to sell early on the day prior to embarkation. 

• Like 2

I too would prefer to stay in the city overnight.  The Premier Inn West Quay is very popular and has plenty of dining options within very easy walking distance for anyone reasonably mobile.  That also gives you the option of having a mooch around the shops or sights in Southampton the next morning before boarding your ship.  If you should decide to check out Premier Inn however, makes sure you look at Southampton West Quay - not Southampton City Centre!

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I too would prefer to stay in the city overnight.  The Premier Inn West Quay is very popular and has plenty of dining options within very easy walking distance for anyone reasonably mobile.  That also gives you the option of having a mooch around the shops or sights in Southampton the next morning before boarding your ship.  If you should decide to check out Premier Inn however, makes sure you look at Southampton West Quay - not Southampton City Centre!

I actually prefer the city centre PI. Parking at the hotel rather than across the road in the multistorey. 

I can understand that, although it is definitely not as well-located as West Quay.  I normally stay in the Holiday Inn on the Waterfront.  Its a bit over-priced these days but has become a bit of an ex-Southampton cruise tradition for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I agree with Premier Inn West Quay as we have stayed there several times.

There is a Co-op next door open late to stock up on goodies,drinks etc.

The multi storey car park is 100 yards away as is the West Quay shopping centre.

If you go out the main entrance and cross the road there are several restaurants within 300 yards.

19 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

We've done both.  This year was the holiday inn.  Got it "free" using hotels.com via Tesco Clubcard points.  The hotel is basic but close enough to cinema etc for evening entertainment.

Obviously we all have our own definition of basic but personally I wouldn't describe it that way.  It sure ain't luxury but it is a step up from an Ibis or Travelodge, especially with the pleasant indoor pool, gym and jacuzzi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Can someone remind me what P and O allow you to take on board in the form of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.  For our cruise on the Iona we will probably not have a drink package. 

I don't think there is an official policy on non-alcoholic drinks but you are allowed one bottle of wine or spirits per person - up to a litre for each adult.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Can someone remind me what P and O allow you to take on board in the form of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.  For our cruise on the Iona we will probably not have a drink package. 

You are limited to 1 bottle of alcohol each and on embarking only.

• Thanks 1

We traveled in May on Brittania to the Fjords for 7 days. We took our 35 year old son with us in a disabled suite (excellent),  as he doesn’t drink we took his favourite mineral waters. We took a separate case with ten 2 litres of mixers for us, still water, fizzy water and mineral waters which the porters took and delivered to our cabin no problem. Our 1 litre bottles of alcohol we took onboard in our hand luggage no problem. This sufficed for our trip apart from a few bottles of mineral and fizzy water in Bergen brought onboard no problem. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, grapau27 said:

You are limited to 1 bottle of alcohol each and on embarking only.

From what I remember it can be a bottle of wine each or a bottle of spirits each up to 1 litre of spirits each bottle. A big difference from the US cruise lines.

Another vote for Holiday Inn, it is convenient for  stroll into town for the shops an restaurants.  We always request a room on a high floor with a view over the water, I can then see the ships when I wake which just makes me feel like my holiday has started.

• Like 2

The Leonardo chain now own the Jurys Inn group of hotels and the reps have advised that there should be more investment in the Grand Harbour as the reps admit it has become a little jaded.

Although the Jurys Inn is probably the furthest away from the centre compared to those mentioned, it is very popular with pre/post cruise guests and fairly good value for money.