On Royal now...After Vowing to NEVER sail Royal Again...

ceilidh1

Currently half way through our 2 week b2b Alaska cruise. As the title says, I had never expected to sail this ship again after having a less than stellar experience in March sailing to Mexico. On that sailing, the first on the west coast, the service was the worst I had ever had on any cruise and we had so many small issues that combined together to make one problem ridden cruise! What made that cruise for us (and the only positive) was cruise director Matt O and his team! They knocked it out of the water!!!! When I heard that he and Andrew The Canadian we’re back doing Alaska I decided to give Royal another chance!

i plan on posting a full review once back but thought I would see if anyone had any questions I might be able to answer from the ship! What I can say at this point is that a week in, everything has been PERFECT! Matt O is as awesome as ever and his team are outstanding! My only complaint, if I had to find one, is that there is just so much going on that we can’t do it all!

Weather in Alaska has been spectacular. I haven’t put a jacket on in 7 days! This is my 8th trip and it has never been this sunny, blue skies, and hot in any of my previous trips! We have done 2 excursions- puppy camp in Skagway which we do every time as the kids LOVE it and 26 glaciers in Whittier, which was amazing!

Food and service has been top notch! This is my first trip without drink package for me or soda package for kids. We are ordering what we want, when we want it, and so far haven’t come close to paying what we would have paid for the packages! More on that when I review on my return!

Any questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer or find out!

• Like 5

Glad you're having a good time. I loved the 26 glacier excursion when I did my b2b cruises on the Island earlier this summer. How has the glacier viewing been? Have you been able to find good places to view them?

Thank you for your comments.  We sailed on the Royal last April and have her booked for another couple of cruises in 2020.  We were impressed with the ship ... she just sparkles!  We were also impressed with Matt O and the piano player at Crooners as well as the entertainment overall.  We also loved a couple of the waiters and bar tenders, love their new wine list, the food was pretty good .... but it just seemed like the service was lacking in so many areas.  I wrote my review at the time describing it was like they were, somehow, expecting 1000 less passengers to be onboard.  I completely gave up on the buffet as it was total chaos and there were several times the waiters said they just didn't have time or that it was a pain to get us what we wanted ... some didn't even say that, they just ignored our requests.  These weren't even elaborate requests ... they were things like olive oil instead of butter for our bread, cappuccinos with our breakfast in the dining room, our wine that had been opened with our pub lunch, event.  Couple that with being seated for dinner and it took a full 45 minutes to even be acknowledged ... yikes!

Well, even if we still can't get some of those things ... we are very glad to hear the service has improved.  Enjoy your cruise ... and thanks for your comments!  They are very encouraging!  

Really glad to hear this. We were onboard on April 6, the third West Coast Cruise, and didn’t experience any issues.  However, we did hear of others having issues.  So glad that everything is back on track!  I remember very well the issues you had with them not honoring your kids’ drink packages.  We will have Matt O in October. He really is the best!  Thanks for checking in.  

• Like 1

Good to hear that service has improved . We don't normally sail Princess ships ;as we live in north coastal San Diego .Holland America  sails from San Diego frequently & we are accustomed to good to fabulous service & quality in food  .We are anticipating a similar level for our B2B cruises April 18 & April 25 ,2020 

Edited by mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thank you for your comments.  We sailed on the Royal last April and have her booked for another couple of cruises in 2020.  We were impressed with the ship ... she just sparkles!  We were also impressed with Matt O and the piano player at Crooners as well as the entertainment overall.  We also loved a couple of the waiters and bar tenders, love their new wine list, the food was pretty good .... but it just seemed like the service was lacking in so many areas.  I wrote my review at the time describing it was like they were, somehow, expecting 1000 less passengers to be onboard.  I completely gave up on the buffet as it was total chaos and there were several times the waiters said they just didn't have time or that it was a pain to get us what we wanted ... some didn't even say that, they just ignored our requests.  These weren't even elaborate requests ... they were things like olive oil instead of butter for our bread, cappuccinos with our breakfast in the dining room, our wine that had been opened with our pub lunch, event.  Couple that with being seated for dinner and it took a full 45 minutes to even be acknowledged ... yikes!

Well, even if we still can't get some of those things ... we are very glad to hear the service has improved.  Enjoy your cruise ... and thanks for your comments!  They are very encouraging!  

This was exactly how I felt in March - like it was staffed at Grand Class Levels! I was actually told in the MDR that it would be quicker to just go to the bar and get my own drink!!!! This time it seems there are more than enough staff and the service is fantastic!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Really glad to hear this. We were onboard on April 6, the third West Coast Cruise, and didn’t experience any issues.  However, we did hear of others having issues.  So glad that everything is back on track!  I remember very well the issues you had with them not honoring your kids’ drink packages.  We will have Matt O in October. He really is the best!  Thanks for checking in.  

I followed your sailing and was glad it was getting better! It has been perfect so far and Matt O is the best!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andrek said:

Hi, Thanks for the ongoing review. Do you know if Matt O will be on the ship Nov 16th to the 23rd.? We have booked a cruise to Mexico on the Royal. 

Andrea

I will ask him! He just rejoined end of July so I would assume he is on through December 

Thank you so much!  Wonderful to hear that  you are loving your cruise!  I have a cruise booked on the Royal in October, November and possibly December too.  I am wondering about a few things if you have time.  If you don’t have time I totally understand.

I know a lot of people aren’t wild about it but we like MUTS.  Could you please check and see what is playing?   I’ve been trying to stay off of Netflix, HBO, and Amazon.

I have questions about the “Classic Soda Package”.   The Princess website says the package now includes smoothies.  If you happen to see a menu could you please share it with us. And maybe ask someone if they are dairy free.  Also,  I’m wondering if they are still going to have the Coke freestyle machines and if so when they expect to install them. I’m trying to decide if I should bring soda onboard or get a soda package like I normally do on every cruise.  I’m hoping for a caffeine free, diet option onboard  because I should probably only drink so many of the Strawberries on Fire Mocktails... so, so good.

Again, if you are busy I totally get it  😊.  I hope your weather continues to be gorgeous. Have a wonderful cruise and take care!

Just now, ceilidh1 said:

I will ask him! He just rejoined end of July so I would assume he is on through December 

57 minutes ago, andrek said:

Hi, Thanks for the ongoing review. Do you know if Matt O will be on the ship Nov 16th to the 23rd.? We have booked a cruise to Mexico on the Royal. 

Andrea

He is on until November 30th!

Will be getting on this Saturday. Thanks for the review. Glad you are having good weather. Forecast shows getting cooler and some rain. Hope not. By the way. How is the medallion system and WiFi ? 

Edited by tothesea
Spelling.

Just now, tothesea said:

Will be getting on this Saturday. Thanks for the review. Glad you are having good weather. Forecast shows getting cooler and some rain. Hope not. By the way. How is the medallion system and WiFi ? 

Medallion is fully operational. Wifi is slower than I would like, but we are in Alaska so not surprising!!! It works but if you are using minutes rather than unlimited it isn’t the best!

18 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you so much!  Wonderful to hear that  you are loving your cruise!  I have a cruise booked on the Royal in October, November and possibly December too.  I am wondering about a few things if you have time.  If you don’t have time I totally understand.

I know a lot of people aren’t wild about it but we like MUTS.  Could you please check and see what is playing?   I’ve been trying to stay off of Netflix, HBO, and Amazon.

I have questions about the “Classic Soda Package”.   The Princess website says the package now includes smoothies.  If you happen to see a menu could you please share it with us. And maybe ask someone if they are dairy free.  Also,  I’m wondering if they are still going to have the Coke freestyle machines and if so when they expect to install them. I’m trying to decide if I should bring soda onboard or get a soda package like I normally do on every cruise.  I’m hoping for a caffeine free, diet option onboard  because I should probably only drink so many of the Strawberries on Fire Mocktails... so, so good.

Again, if you are busy I totally get it  😊.  I hope your weather continues to be gorgeous. Have a wonderful cruise and take care!

Current movies under the stars:

7BFC2A29-BE24-4613-A299-C954A81B8F4F.jpeg

22 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

No smoothies listed on any menus - I have checked! I didn’t get the soda package this time but will ask tomorrow about smoothies as I’m curious too! Soda package supposedly includes them but I’m yet to see any on the ship! Stay tuned!

Agree about Matt O.  He had just rejoined the ship when we boarded on July 13th and he was the best CD we've ever cruised with.  Our cruises aren't usually impacted one way or another by the CD but on the Royal Matt O had the most positive impact.  Very high energy and lots of fun things to do every night.

• Like 1