Would you have concerns about this cruise?

MommytoAsquared

We are looking at booking the Carnival Legend from Dover England to Norway in June 2020.  The cruise is perfect for us.  We love Carnival.  We have sailed on the Legend before and really liked it.  And this cruise travels to the ports we are most interested in.

My main concern is this cruise is the only time Carnival takes this particular route.  Would that concern you?  I don't know why, but it concerns me a little bit.

Has anyone had experience with itineraries Carnival doesn't "do" very often?

TIA!

2 minutes ago, MommytoAsquared said:

We are looking at booking the Carnival Legend from Dover England to Norway in June 2020.  The cruise is perfect for us.  We love Carnival.  We have sailed on the Legend before and really liked it.  And this cruise travels to the ports we are most interested in.

My main concern is this cruise is the only time Carnival takes this particular route.  Would that concern you?  I don't know why, but it concerns me a little bit.

TIA!

My only comment is that Carnival tailors their onboard activities and entertainment for a much younger crowd than what would typically book this itinerary.  They seem incapable of understanding the difference in demographics for this type of cruise.

On our last 'Journeys' cruise the CD was more than irritating and the staff was rude and insulting to an older woman in our party.

If you can get past this type of issue, the ship and itinerary are awesome and will be wonderful!

• Like 1

We booked this cruise several months ago, based on the idea that this was a unique itinerary for Carnival.  Even went for an extended balcony so we have more room to shoot pics when cruising some of the fjords.

There's a pretty active CC roll call at:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2611868-june-192020-norway/.

I don't think any posting on the roll call has mentioned your concern.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thinfool said:

My only comment is that Carnival tailors their onboard activities and entertainment for a much younger crowd than what would typically book this itinerary.  They seem incapable of understanding the difference in demographics for this type of cruise.

On our last 'Journeys' cruise the CD was more than irritating and the staff was rude and insulting to an older woman in our party.

If you can get past this type of issue, the ship and itinerary are awesome and will be wonderful!

Judging from the roll call for this cruise, I'd say the posters are older and more seasoned cruisers than described above.

I’m not sure which of the two June 2020 sailings out of Dover you are considering, but I’m booked on the 6/19 one to the Norwegian Fjords. So no, I don’t have any concerns. I sailed on the Carnival Horizon out of Barcelona to Italy and France and it was a wonderful cruise. While Carnival doesn’t typically do Europe, they do from time to time. So they do have experience and I don’t believe there is anything to worry about. 

And as far as the comment about Carnival not being to cater to the clientele these cruises attract, I disagree. We had a lot of Europeans on our Mediterranean cruise and the ones that we spoke to said that they love when Carnival does Europe because it’s a more fun cruise line than the ones that sail Europe regularly. I’m in my 40’s and my husband is in his 50’s. We love Carnival and appreciate their “Funships.”

Edited by bakersdozen12

3 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

I’m not sure which of the two June 2020 sailings out of Dover you are considering, but I’m booked on the 6/19 one to the Norwegian Fjords. So no, I don’t have any concerns. I sailed on the Carnival Horizon out of Barcelona to Italy and France and it was a wonderful cruise. While Carnival doesn’t typically do Europe, they do from time to time. So they do have experience and I don’t believe there is anything to worry about. 

And as far as the comment about Carnival not being to cater to the clientele these cruises attract, I disagree. We had a lot of Europeans on our Mediterranean cruise and the ones that we spoke to said that they love when Carnival does Europe because it’s a more fun cruise line than the ones that sail Europe regularly. I’m in my 40’s and my husband is in his 50’s. We love Carnival and appreciate their “Funships.”

Have you joined the roll call? I posted the link in an earlier post.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

Remember that Carnival Cruise Lines is part of the larger Carnival Corporation, which includes at least one line (Holland America) that does these types of cruises on an annual basis. While the on-board activities might differ, the CCL planners can (and I understand do) leverage the years of experience and contracts from other brands to help them with excursions, etc... It sounds like you will have an amazing time on a unique itinerary for the Carnival Legend!

2 hours ago, MommytoAsquared said:

TIA!

We are booked on the TA before this, going to Greenland/Shetlands, etc, no concerns

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

We booked this cruise several months ago, based on the idea that this was a unique itinerary for Carnival.  Even went for an extended balcony so we have more room to shoot pics when cruising some of the fjords.

There's a pretty active CC roll call at:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2611868-june-192020-norway/.

I don't think any posting on the roll call has mentioned your concern.

Just joined - It seems like an active roll call - Thanks!

8 hours ago, dctravel said:

Remember that Carnival Cruise Lines is part of the larger Carnival Corporation, which includes at least one line (Holland America) that does these types of cruises on an annual basis. While the on-board activities might differ, the CCL planners can (and I understand do) leverage the years of experience and contracts from other brands to help them with excursions, etc... It sounds like you will have an amazing time on a unique itinerary for the Carnival Legend!

That's a good point - I was worried about this cruise being a low priority for excursion planning since there is only one sailing.  I didn't think about the fact that other branches of Carnival visit these port regularly.

• Like 1

The Legend did a 12 day Baltic cruise in September of 2013 that visited 4 ports in Norway, 3 of which are on next year's itinerary.  We were on that cruise, and my recollection is that there were plenty of good excursions to choose from.  We are booked on this cruise for next June and the TA before.  My main concern is who will be the CD.  I hope that Carnival replaces the current Legend CD with one who is familiar with the ports and appeals to the demographic that will be on these cruises.

I wouldn't be too concerned. If you are going because you want to visit those ports, you genuinely like Carnival, and the design of the Legend itself is good for you, it seems to me that you have a positive outlook going in, which means you're likely to focus on things that would confirm why you booked the cruise in the first place. Granted, given your qualms, you will also be looking for things to confirm your apprehension in regards to the passengers onboard. But, I must say, as long as you want to have a good time, you likely will.

I also want to concur with an above poster that Carnival is a part of a larger group with lots of connections to outside of their specific line. I wouldn't be surprised if they call in some help from Holland America and Princess to help plan activities. And, if they don't, since you like Carnival, it shouldn't be a problem 🙂

Happy cruising, Norway is a beautiful country!

• Like 1

Got no problems with Legend. The Spirit class ships are the best laid out in Carnivals fleet.

Jen Baxter (The CD) being from The british Isles & spending a lot of her time in Europe will be perfect for the role. 

Also did Legend on  Carnivals first Trans-pacific back in 2015. The First times to Tahati & Bora Bora. they had great entertainmant & educational things to do the whole cruise...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter69 said:

Got no problems with Legend. The Spirit class ships are the best laid out in Carnivals fleet.

Jen Baxter (The CD) being from The british Isles & spending a lot of her time in Europe will be perfect for the role. 

Also did Legend on  Carnivals first Trans-pacific back in 2015. The First times to Tahati & Bora Bora. they had great entertainmant & educational things to do the whole cruise...

Pretty sure Jen is jumping ship the cruise before the TA....