It won't be long now.......

HillBilly Bob

Some people will miss the decorations, but i think its kind of lame. I understand that it is fun for lots of people, but for us, we think its kind of dorky.  Not sure what the safety concern is, but im sure they have a reason. Is CCL next? We'll see......

• Like 6

I have never decorated my cabin door, but have always enjoyed looking at the decorated doors.  I am not sure what safety hazard or reason prompted Norwegian's new rule.  I can't think of anything wrong with the door decorations I have seen on ships.  I can understand prohibiting items that might be a fire hazard or something.

DF1C6BF0-4912-4BC9-A3D0-7885C039A585.jpeg 

As of now, the policy appears only to be in effect for some ships within the fleet. It could be one of their 'tests the waters' approach. They are known to back off quick if things are met with a lot of resistance.

Edited by Bookbug53

23 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have never decorated my cabin door, but have always enjoyed looking at the decorated doors.  I am not sure what safety hazard or reason prompted Norwegian's new rule.  I can't think of anything wrong with the door decorations I have seen on ships.  I can understand prohibiting items that might be a fire hazard or something.

About two years ago, I read that the captain of one of Carnival's ships did not like seeing the cabin doors decorated and took it upon himself to have door decorations banned. This ban prompted a LOT of negative feedback from the passengers, and, as far as I know, the ban was lifted. Perhaps one (or more) of Norwegian's captains have similarly prompted this rule.

I never understood the fascination with door decorations.  Some say it makes their room easier to find., but isn't that what the room numbers are for?  People don't decorate hotel room doors, so why should they on a cruise ship since it is a floating hotel.  It doesn't bother that people decorate, but I am not wasting time or luggage space to do it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, moondog73 said:

I never understood the fascination with door decorations.  Some say it makes their room easier to find., but isn't that what the room numbers are for?  People don't decorate hotel room doors, so why should they on a cruise ship since it is a floating hotel.  It doesn't bother that people decorate, but I am not wasting time or luggage space to do it.

Yes, it's true that people don't decorate their hotel room door. However, if someone is staying at a hotel, either pre-cruise or post cruise, it's usually only for one night, unlike being on a cruise ship for a week. Some people like to let their fellow passengers know if they're celebrating a special occasion, such as a birthday, anniversary, graduation, etc. And, while it's true that each cabin has it's number on the mail box, for some folks it's quicker and easier to find their cabin if there's some sort of decoration on the door, even if it's just a cutout of a starfish or a seashell. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, moondog73 said:

Hi

You would think the numbers would be enough, but you have to remember, NCL has an unlimited drinks package. 🍻🥂🍸🍷

😂

For some, just finding the right deck can be challenging.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:14 AM, moondog73 said:

I agree. 

Door decorations are an exercise in vanity (look at me!) and nothing else...

• Like 2

1. Unnecessary extra work for staff at the end of the cruise. 

2. Unnecessary calls fielded by guest services "someone stole/removed/damaged my door decorations."

I don't blame the cruise lines for wanting them banned. 

• Like 1

TO each his own! To those who enjoy decorating their doors, I say go for it!

I did it once on a specialty cruise with a friend of mine- it was Mardi Gras themed and the door-decorating was fun, but a lot of work! Haven't bothered since until this last cruise- I brought a small hanging beach sign and a magnet to hang it on- it helped our family in the next cabin (first time cruisers) figure out if they'd gotten turned around or if they were heading toward our room!

I buy wall decoration stickers from Dollar Tree.  These take up practically no room in my suitcase, install/remove in about 10 seconds, and leave no residue for the room steward to clean off.  Although I am capable of remembering my cabin number, it is nice for an extra visual cue that I am at the right cabin. Sometimes I even save the waxy paper that they were attached to, peel it off the door, re-stick it to the backing, and use it again for the next cruise.  Yes..I really am that cheap/frugal sometimes.  LOL!276020.jpg

• Like 2

I saw something else in the initial picture that seemed of greater concern than door decorations: You can't leave anything plugged in while you aren't in the cabin. With the multiple rechargeable battery powered devices the average person has, and the few outlets available in cruise ship cabins, that could be a problem.

You might only be in your room long enough once a day to recharge something, while you sleep. Then you'd have to choose which one or two out of your Kindle, FitBit, phone, electric shaver, iPad, etc., etc., etc. you want to charge.

On the door decorations, it seems both sides have overblown their concerns. You can read a room number just as quickly and easily as see a door decoration, but I don't think the vast majority are any significant fire hazard either. They are generally just paper, and the cruise line (at least the ones I know) flood your cabin with papers about sales and activities every night. If paper was such a hazard, they wouldn't do that.

Royal Caribbean sales special occasion (birthday, etc) cabin decoration packages.  These include a door decoration.  The way RCCL operates I doubt they will give up any potential revenue.  🙂

While we don't decorate, I think looking at other cabin's decorations are fun and some are very creative.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:08 AM, HillBilly Bob said:

Per new requirements, NCL is now banning ALL door decorations citing safety reasons.   Soon it will be industry wide.  

NCLDoor.jpg

I don't see the problem. The cabins all have the number on the door or in close proximity. 

4 hours ago, deadmoney said:

Seems like I remember there being door decoration contests.

Those events would only be coordinated through individual groups, like roll call groups or FB pages... Carnival doesn't host anything related to door decorating.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, moondog73 said:

For our honeymoon in Hawaii almost 40 years ago, one of our friends made up a sign that said "Just Married" and had our first names on it.  We put it on our hotel room door.  Whenever we came in or went out and someone would pass by, they would always congratulate us.  Some would even remember our names if we'd meet them somewhere in the hotel.

I remember reading on here a while back where there were a bunch of guys sailing on Carnival.  One of them was a heavy drinker so he put a balloon on his door so he could find his cabin when he came back blitzed.  As a prank, one night his buddies put balloons on scattered cabins down the area where his cabin was and took the one off of his door.  He never did find his cabin that night.  🤣

Edited by RWolver672

On 8/18/2019 at 8:17 AM, Earthworm Jim said:

I saw something else in the initial picture that seemed of greater concern than door decorations: You can't leave anything plugged in while you aren't in the cabin. With the multiple rechargeable battery powered devices the average person has, and the few outlets available in cruise ship cabins, that could be a problem.

You might only be in your room long enough once a day to recharge something, while you sleep. Then you'd have to choose which one or two out of your Kindle, FitBit, phone, electric shaver, iPad, etc., etc., etc. you want to charge.

I agree with this- especially if this leads to more people traveling with surge protected power strips, not knowing they're not allowed.  Then they are confiscated and not being able to charge things becomes a bigger issue. 

Although, I am always amazed at how long my phone lasts when its on airplane mode and only used for occasional pictures.  The reasons why are obvious, but its one of those little things that makes me happy when cruising. 

On 8/18/2019 at 8:17 AM, Earthworm Jim said:

Many times I have come back to the room and found whatever I have had plugged in removed from the outlet.

Not an issue but this has been done on RCI, MSC and Carnival lines.