Best pizza in Manhattan

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks njhorseman.  I appreciate the quick response.  

Many,many years ago I went with friends by car to Cincinnati to see the Reds play the METS. We ate pizza near the stadium that was really good. I remember the pizza but not the name of the place 😀

We have a few local pizza joints downtown and in the suburbs.  LaRosa's is a family pizza and pasta Italian restaurant,  then we have Angilo's.  Both are very good.  LaRosa's pizza sauce is sweeter tasting than most. 

You could start a war in NYC with this topic as everyone seems to have their favorite.  We are partial to Lombardi's (Spring Street) but there are so many great pizza places in NYC that it boggles the mind.  We have had pizza at many of the famous pizza places in Naples, Italy and they do not hold up to what we get in NYC.  On the other hand, our Chicago friends "roll their eyes" whenever anyone says NYC has the best pizza.   There are also quite a few terrific pizza places in Brooklyn that seldom get mentioned because most tourists don't go to Brooklyn and those who live in Brooklyn keep their secrets :).  Since I was born in Manhattan and DW in Brooklyn (and DD lives in Manhattan) you can imagine that the topic is not discussed in the interest of family peace.

Hank

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

And permit me to cast my vote for Joe and Pat's in Staten Island. :classic_smile:

And there’s the problem. Most New Yorkers recommend pizza in The outer boroughs, or at least away from Midtown. Most tourists are in Midtown...

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You could start a war in NYC with this topic as everyone seems to have their favorite.  We are partial to Lombardi's (Spring Street) but there are so many great pizza places in NYC that it boggles the mind.  We have had pizza at many of the famous pizza places in Naples, Italy and they do not hold up to what we get in NYC.  On the other hand, our Chicago friends "roll their eyes" whenever anyone says NYC has the best pizza.   There are also quite a few terrific pizza places in Brooklyn that seldom get mentioned because most tourists don't go to Brooklyn and those who live in Brooklyn keep their secrets :).  Since I was born in Manhattan and DW in Brooklyn (and DD lives in Manhattan) you can imagine that the topic is not discussed in the interest of family peace.

Hank

My wife and I were both born and raised in Brooklyn.In fact we lived there till 2003.

i worked in every borough and had pizza in all 5.

The best place for pizza ever for me was on Ave. P and E. 3 St.in Brooklyn.I cannot recall the name.We have a daughter living in Manhattan who only rarely eats pizza.

Lenny (at one time I was a Hank.When I was a teenager in Brooklyn nearly every kid I knew was a Lenny so I decided to use my middle name,Henry.However,there were many Henry’s so I became Hank).

It seemed to be the norm to change one’s first name. Myron’s became Michaels just to cite another.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’m sure there are, but we only have one day. 

I’m guessing every pizzeria in Manhattan will exceed your expectations, don’t waste precious time traveling for pizza. We have pizza wars in our household of 7 here in N.J. because there are literally dozens of pizzarias that will deliver, and we all have different favorites (I won last night, got my favorite grandma pie).

• 2 months later...

You might try the free app, Yelp to find the best tasting pizza nearest to your location, as well as all other types of cuisine.

For the best budget Italian food, excluding pizza, try Becco.

For 25 bucks for dinner, you get a great tasting salad, great bread, and unlimited amounts of three different pastas. Great service, close to Broadway plays and musicals, and a great list of budget bottles of red, white and sparkling wines.

You must make dinner reservations a day before and through Open Table, as Becco's website based reservation system is terrible. 

57 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Rao's like the sauce you can buy at grocery stores?

Yes,the restaurant is a place that in my opinion everyone should go to ,if possible at least once.They have pictures on the walls of every Italian actor and singer.

There is a 3 year waiting list but it is worth it.

Fortunately I did not have to be on the waiting list.

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Rao's like the sauce you can buy at grocery stores?

Yes! I buy it but only when it’s half price. Lol. 

Also my .02 — I wouldn’t go into those pizza places advertising 99cents slices. Lol Also chains around Times Square you can do better.